By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony granted temporary restraining order and impoundment against GeoHotz

jarrod said:
radiantshadow92 said:
jarrod said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Wow, and here everyone though Sony was going to lose. 

Sony already "lost".  The files are already out there and even being mirrored by Universities now.  This whole exercise is more about trying to save face and show the shareholders they're taking action.  

If they can make an example out of a hacker and expand the powers of the DCMA, even better. That's a double edged sword though, if Sony loses at trial it could impede the DCMA (which would be fantastic for consumer's rights) and their case at the moment is pretty weak, which is why they're casting such a wide net and fishing for anything they can really go after Geohotz for.

I was talking about the trial. Everyone thought they were going to lose, yet they won....the trial...

Uh... there hasn't been a trial yet... all Sony's "won" is permission to keep going basically and maybe get to the trial stage.

Geohotz had already taken down the files when the motions started, Sony effectively gained nothing substantial here.

Thats all Sony wanted in the first place, was to put a restraining order on Hotz and block info to the web. Thats what they got. Or am i reading the article wrong?

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:
jarrod said:
radiantshadow92 said:
jarrod said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Sony already "lost".  The files are already out there and even being mirrored by Universities now.  This whole exercise is more about trying to save face and show the shareholders they're taking action.  

If they can make an example out of a hacker and expand the powers of the DCMA, even better. That's a double edged sword though, if Sony loses at trial it could impede the DCMA (which would be fantastic for consumer's rights) and their case at the moment is pretty weak, which is why they're casting such a wide net and fishing for anything they can really go after Geohotz for.

I was talking about the trial. Everyone thought they were going to lose, yet they won....the trial...

Uh... there hasn't been a trial yet... all Sony's "won" is permission to keep going basically and maybe get to the trial stage.

Geohotz had already taken down the files when the motions started, Sony effectively gained nothing substantial here.

Thats all Sony wanted in the first place, was to put a restraining order on Hotz and block info to the web. Thats what they got. Or am i reading the article wrong?

The keys are already everywhere. They want to make an example out of him.

The US legal system is complete shit. This proves it.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Sony is screaming like a b......

Crazy as hell

radiantshadow92 said:
jarrod said:
radiantshadow92 said:

No they didn't?  The trial hasn't even started yet.

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:
jarrod said:
radiantshadow92 said:
jarrod said:
radiantshadow92 said:

You are.  It's a temporary restraining order... and only against him.

He... was even the guy who created the big hack as far as i know.

When they lose the trial, everything goes back, and they may even need to pay for damages.

Kasz216 said:
radiantshadow92 said:
jarrod said:
radiantshadow92 said:

No they didn't?  The trial hasn't even started yet.

Isn't that was the sue was in the first place? To get all his shit and keep him from posting up his shit online?

Kasz216 said:
radiantshadow92 said:
jarrod said:
radiantshadow92 said:
jarrod said:
radiantshadow92 said:

You are.  It's a temporary restraining order... and only against him.

He... was even the guy who created the big hack as far as i know.

When they lose the trial, everything goes back, and they may even need to pay for damages.

ah, thanks for explaining that.

You know what would suck? If he used his daddy's PC to hack it.. :D

anyway glad I don't live in california cause apparently, buying a piece of hardware for $300 does not mean you own it and can do what you like with it, under California Law... >_>

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:

You know what would suck? If he used his daddy's PC to hack it.. :D

anyway glad I don't live in california cause apparently, buying a piece of hardware for $300 does not mean you own it and can do what you like with it, under California Law... >_>

I would have agreed with you 5 years ago. But now, hardware is connected to networks, and he gave access to the network, something he does not own.