By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony granted temporary restraining order and impoundment against GeoHotz

I must say I'm not surprised by this. Just by putting "circumvention" and the DMCA together, they had a case (even if a small one). Add some more, and put "jailbreak" and "(anything-but-a-mobile-device)" together, too.

I would have actually been surprised if they had never been granted the TRO.

So... this sets some kind of precedent, or what?

That's right, just one "d"

In b4 "it's addict"
-----------------------------------------------
Add me:

Around the Network

I don't get some people's views here.  There is a difference between modding your own personal console for your own personal use and hacking the same console to find its decryption keys and then publishing them online for all to see.  While purchasing a console does give you ownership of the actual console, it in no way gives you the ownership of the tech or copyrights to that tech.  And it sure as heck doesn't give you the right to ruin others' gaming experiences.

And these hackers can say all they want about not supporting piracy or hacking online games, but that's to save their own asses.  They know exactly what's going to come of this once it's out.  That's why there is piracy right now happening, but where is all that awesome homebrew development?  I'll tell you.  It's was on PS3 Linux where it should be.  Well, that is until some hackers didn't appreciate the platform and access that Sony gave them and wanted to open the PS3 completely.  Now think about this, if Sony already gave them the ability to run Linux and homebrew apps/games, what's the point of hacking the system completely.  The only reason I can think of is piracy.

thismeintiel said:

I'll tell you.  It's was on PS3 Linux where it should be.  Well, that is until some hackers didn't appreciate the platform and access that Sony gave them and wanted to open the PS3 completely.  Now think about this, if Sony already gave them the ability to run Linux and homebrew apps/games, what's the point of hacking the system completely.  The only reason I can think of is piracy.

You do know sony removed ps3 linux support right?

thranx said:
thismeintiel said:

I'll tell you.  It's was on PS3 Linux where it should be.  Well, that is until some hackers didn't appreciate the platform and access that Sony gave them and wanted to open the PS3 completely.  Now think about this, if Sony already gave them the ability to run Linux and homebrew apps/games, what's the point of hacking the system completely.  The only reason I can think of is piracy.

You do know sony removed ps3 linux support right?

Of course I realise that.  My point is the platform was there for homebrew.  But it wasn't good enough for some, so they tried hacking the entire system.  Sony responded by taking away what they were using to hack it.  They should have just been happy with what they were given, as it was much more than the other console companies gave them.

it's not so much a question of winning or losing here, but mister hotz is about to find out if it was worth the trouble.

things like this can go over years to come, grinding on his nerves, affecting his life, and his future.

for sony it's not much of an effort to do this, they have their laywers anyway.

i wouldn't want to be in his place. no matter if he wins in the end, he might still lose.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

Do we have anyone with real US legal knowledge on the boards by any chance?  I'm no expert but sniffing around it does seem Sony does have more than a zero chance to prosecute here.

Unless I'm missreading stuff the impression I've gained is that their is a law in US preventing breaking included security countermeasures in electronic devices - with the exception of phones for some reason.  When you buy and use a PS3 you are agreeing to abide by that law in the US so far as I can see.

With the iPhone the exception for phones protected those hacking it I would presume.  Unless I'm reading it wrong the PS3 does have legal protection from hacking which allegendly has been broken - i.e. opening it up, modding it, etc. without breaking the security would be fine, but if you did break the security to do so... then you've commited a legally punishable offence.

Now, I have no idea whether that law is upholdable - or even if I've read it accurately - so I'd like opinions of anyone who is more familiar with US law.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

BMaker11 said:
Kasz216 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Wow, and here everyone though Sony was going to lose. 

Well, that's the deal with copyright and technology law.

The majority of Judges don't know or understand it.

So even when companies shouldn't win, sometimes their lawyers can convince judges otherwise espite precedent pointing the otherawys.

So Sony shouldn't have won?

Have fun playing MW2

Why would I want to play MW2?  As far as i've heard the singleplayer campaign is short... and when it comes to multiplayer?  Team Fortress 2 is all I need in a multiplayer game... and Team Fortress incidently is a great example in how to completely avoid piracy in ways that don't invovle massive lawsuits where most legal precedent is against you.

um how the hell did apple lose in a case like this but sony win?

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

NiKKoM said:

You know what would suck? If he used his daddy's PC to hack it.. :D

anyway glad I don't live in california cause apparently, buying a piece of hardware for $300 does not mean you own it and can do what you like with it, under California Law... >_>

true story -- i made a copy of your house key.  it's only a copy so it's not stealing and thus completely legal.  being the the freedom fighter i am i distributed that key to everyone in your neighboorhood.  how was i suppose to know that the guy who has been sent to jail 3 times already would use that key to break into your house, steal your shit, and rape your wife.  i mean, as i handed out the keys i told him not do that so i am of course completely blameless.

really, when you think about it this hole thing is your fault.  you should have known i was going to try and make copies of your household protection mechanisms.  you really should have had a more secure house.  i hope you learned your lesson.

kitler53 said:
NiKKoM said:

You know what would suck? If he used his daddy's PC to hack it.. :D

anyway glad I don't live in california cause apparently, buying a piece of hardware for $300 does not mean you own it and can do what you like with it, under California Law... >_>

true story -- i made a copy of your house key.  it's only a copy so it's not stealing and thus completely legal.  being the the freedom fighter i am i distributed that key to everyone in your neighboorhood.  how was i suppose to know that the guy who has been sent to jail 3 times already would use that key to break into your house, steal your shit, and rape your wife.  i mean, as i handed out the keys i told him not do that so i am of course completely blameless.

really, when you think about it this hole thing is your fault.  you should have known i was going to try and make copies of your household protection mechanisms.  you really should have had a more secure house.  i hope you learned your lesson.

LOL winner of post of the day!