By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony granted temporary restraining order and impoundment against GeoHotz

Sony will never get rid of or destroy George Hotz.....he is eternal.

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

Around the Network

Boo.

Anyways the info is already out there and the damage done. I'm sure someone will take up after him even if It's underground.

It's just that simple.

Oh... I did not foresee this or rather I just shoved this possibility right into oblivion.

Go Sony.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Sad day for consumers here. Too bad so many of you are so short sighted to not see the ramifications of this (other than ps3 hacks which so many are focused on, hope they trust all companies like they trust sony cause this could send an awful precendent). On the plus side, its still not done and over, and if he eventually wins it will deal a serious blow to the DMCA.

Around the Network
thranx said:

Sad day for consumers here. Too bad so many of you are so short sighted to not see the ramifications of this (other than ps3 hacks which so many are focused on, hope they trust all companies like they trust sony cause this could send an awful precendent). On the plus side, its still not done and over, and if he eventually wins it will deal a serious blow to the DMCA.

Too bad you're too short sighted to enjoy a PS3.

LivingMetal said:
thranx said:

Too bad you're too short sighted to enjoy a PS3.

I can't wait to enjoy a ps3 (actualy I enjoy one everytime I'm at my buddies house). But this has ramifications way beyond the ps3. I just wish to actually own the things i buy in life. That is all. For me this has nothing to do with sony or the ps3 and everything to do with consumer rights as that is what this case is about. I dont pirate games, and only play online on my 360 soi noe of these hacks would effect me in any way. What does effect me is that this could lead to other hardware compaines having to much power over their devices after they are sold. But like I siad the case is not over (far from it) and I hold out the hope that consumers will win. I'm not a sony hater at all. Feel free to read my post history.

Kasz216 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Wow, and here everyone though Sony was going to lose. 

Well, that's the deal with copyright and technology law.

The majority of Judges don't know or understand it.

So even when companies shouldn't win, sometimes their lawyers can convince judges otherwise espite precedent pointing the otherawys.

So Sony shouldn't have won?

Have fun playing MW2

BMaker11 said:
Kasz216 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Wow, and here everyone though Sony was going to lose. 

Well, that's the deal with copyright and technology law.

The majority of Judges don't know or understand it.

So even when companies shouldn't win, sometimes their lawyers can convince judges otherwise espite precedent pointing the otherawys.

So Sony shouldn't have won?

Have fun playing MW2

Amazing that people are so narrow minded that they could possibly think Sony should win this case.  Does it suck that people have used this information to hack MW2 and possibly pirate other games, yes.  So you go after the ones doing the actual damage, the ones actually breaking the law.

The DMCA attempts to make it illegal to do something that is not illegal.  Using your own property how you see fit is not illegal.  Because Hotz and others were able to find a way to use their PS3s for other things than what Sony wants is NOT illegal.  If someone uses that information to do something illegal, then you go after them, not the guy that provides the information.

How is this any different than if I sell you a gun and show you how to use it, and you go shoot someone.  You should get arrested, not me.

As for the future outcome, the courts are already bought and paid for by corporate money, so I have no doubt that Sony will win.  And many idiots on here will celebrate.

Pretty great, pretty late.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral