By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony granted temporary restraining order and impoundment against GeoHotz

Court Orders PS3 Hacker to Turn Over Computers
George "Geohot" Hotz must remove hacking info from his website.
A California court has granted Sony's Motion for a Temporary Restraining Order and Order of Impoundment against George Hotz, the renowned hacker that helped breach the PlayStation 3's security earlier this month. 
Hotz, and all parties involved, are now restrained from distributing, providing, or otherwise trafficking in any PS3 security circumvention technology, including: products, services, methods, codes, and software tools, among others. Hotz must also remove and links from his website that directs others to the hacking software. 
"Having considered all the papers and arguments, the Court finds that SCEA has shown a likelihood of success on the merits of its claims for violation of the DMCA and CFAA, and that it will suffer irreparable harm unless Defendant Hotz's violations are enjoined," the filing states. 
The court also ordered that Hotz must preserve and not destroy computer files, documents, and hard drives containing hacking software. He also must turn over any computers, hard drives, CDs and other storage devices that contain circumvention software in the next 10 business days. 
  Hotz's attorney, Steward Kellar, has not responded to requests for comment at this time. A hearing date has not been set but all parties must meet before Feb. 1, 2011. 

Currently playing: Gran Turismo 5
Just finished:
Infamous 2

Around the Network

Wow, and here everyone though Sony was going to lose. 

I wonder how long the temporary restraining order lasts... Will Geohotz just go back to it once the time limit is up? Anyways, I hope that Sony getting the stuff from Hotz will result in a solution to the security breach, though I'm a bit sceptical.

Currently playing: Gran Turismo 5
Just finished:
Infamous 2

I'm glad.

I didn't expect that.

Around the Network

"The Court finds that SCEA has shown a likelihood of success on the merits of its claims for violation of the DMCA and CFAA, and that it will suffer irreparable harm unless Defendant Hotz's violations are enjoined"

I like that. Now whether the court has jurisdiction/authority or not...

This is awesome, and unexpected...  I don't like how the guy always took Sony's actions personal, and tried to be everyone's PS3 hacking hero... -_-

Hopefully, this will scare off potential NGP hackers, and we wont have to worry about ruined experiences, and what-not for those of us who buy our stuff, and don't hack out systems...

radiantshadow92 said:

Wow, and here everyone though Sony was going to lose. 

Well, that's the deal with copyright and technology law.

The majority of Judges don't know or understand it.

So even when companies shouldn't win, sometimes their lawyers can convince judges otherwise espite precedent pointing the otherawys.

Sucks for Geohotz.

The only reason why sony even filed this lawsuit is so they could get his PS3 and PC and snoop around his files and make an actual case, as they have none right now...or get his knowledge of PS3 hacking. Cheaper than hiring him...

disolitude said:

Sucks for Geohotz.

The only reason why sony even filed this lawsuit is so they could get his PS3 and PC and snoop around his files and make an actual case, as they have none right now...or get his knowledge of PS3 hacking. Cheaper than hiring him...

He publicly released his memory bus glitch. They don't need his knowledge at all.