By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New PS3 custom firmware bricking 60 GB consoles

Hahahaha that's Karma for everyone! I'm glad they're being bricked.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
blaydcor said:
twesterm said:

I debated posting this because I would rather not warn people and let them be stupid and brick their consoles but I couldn't resist because of the picture and the random lol thrown in after "back up."

lawl.

Well, not really random, since it's clearly included to ridicule the notion that people would be using custom firmware for legitimate purposes. 

Sorry I'm just sick to death of the overuse of the word 'random'.

Man, random response.

I randomly hate it when people randomly criticize random things.

Random.

...It doesn't bother me that much? If that's what you were trying to do.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Ajescent said:

We're laughing at the individuals who opted to hack instead of keeping their machines untouched and then will probably have to buy a new one.

Or buy a 360 instead (or focus more on theirs if they already have one). This is a huge win for Microsoft finacially. I think being vindictive against individuals for using homebrew on their own consoles is strange enough, but it's stranger still when you see Sony fans cheering even though Sony as a company will be hit hard by this. But to each their own :P

VGhippy said:
Ajescent said:

We're laughing at the individuals who opted to hack instead of keeping their machines untouched and then will probably have to buy a new one.

Or buy a 360 instead (or focus more on theirs if they already have one). This is a huge win for Microsoft finacially. I think being vindictive against individuals for using homebrew on their own consoles is strange enough, but it's stranger still when you see Sony fans cheering even though Sony as a company will be hit hard by this. But to each their own :P

How is Sony being hit hard by people being bricked by homebrew? ....and how does Microsoft benefit from that?

Wagram said:

How is Sony being hit hard by people being bricked by homebrew? ....and how does Microsoft benefit from that?

Early homebrewers that do it to tinker are normally among the most hardcore gamers that buy the most games. No console to play games on means they can't buy games and Sony loses out on royalties. Worse they could give the 360 a try rather than buy another PS3 or just play on their existing 360 more. If my PS3 got bricked because I wanted to get roms on it I would just be playing my 360 instead. In the end the company that gets money from me is the company that I have a working console for.

Unless Sony starts to make good money on hardware they only lose out when customers have their console bricked. The small profit margins now will just be absorbed with shipping costs and having to re-issue a warranty for an new console.

This isn't a moral argument for me, it's just a financial one.

Around the Network

This is good news. Hope sony does what mchaza wrote on the first place, would be awesome to see

actually on the sixthaxis they said it's the slims that brick:

With all the news about breached security, homebrew and Sony taking hackers to court, the underlying allure of installing custom firmware on the PS3 is still something a lot of people are interested in. Whether they simply want to return OtherOS to their machines, mess around with emulators or pirate games is beside the point. We here at TheSixthAxis do not recommend dabbling about in the custom pond for one simple reason: you could irreparably damage your console.

Case in point, the recently released CFW 3.55 which, according to the very community that are driving custom firmware development, appears to have bricked a number of consoles. Hacker Waninkoko (hackinblack on Twitter) announced today:

Yay! It’s coming! Custom Firmware v3.55 for PS3 released!

Only to be followed 19 minutes later with:

Do NOT install in Slim consoles! Looks like users are reporting bricking issues. That’s weird as the CFW was tested on both models. Well… I don’t know if those problems are real or just jokes. As I said, some testers tried this and worked in both models.

Brickage was confirmed a few minutes later when an apology was also issued:

I’m sorry for all the consoles that have died, this was unexpected :S

The coding elite over at NeoGaf, watching from the sidelines as the nightmare of PS3s dying around the hacking world unfolded, have chimed in, warning interested parties of the inherent perils of going rogue.

Apparently the guy who made this messed with lvl2 to make it accept a bigger payload, this is why random consoles are killing themselves. lesson = let the guinea pigs go first.

Sure, it’s early days yet and, who knows, it’s very likely the hacking community will iron out these issues and create a safe, robust custom firmware. Then all you have to worry about is Uncle Sony nuking your PS3 from orbit. Seriously, there will always be those who get a kick out of circumventing security measures; the challenge of cracking what is perceived as the uncrackable sublimely attractive.

For the rest of us, be aware that you not only risk losing your PS3 altogether (either now or in the future when your CFW may be detected) but will likely spend more time updating and tweaking your console rather than what it’s actually intended for: playing games.

TheSixthAxis does not condone piracy and does not recommend the modification of your console – doing so is against the Terms of Use of the console and is possibly illegal.

source: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/01/17/why-you-shouldnt-install-custom-firmware-on-your-ps3/

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

"this is why random consoles are killing themselves. lesson = let the guinea pigs go first."

Lols, I didn't quite graps what the hell was going on, but this article finally explained it to me, too frigging early for me haha.

I don't condone piracy personally but boy did some people get owned.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

raptors11 said:

Hahahaha that's Karma for everyone! I'm glad they're being bricked.

Karma? this has not anything to do with karma, modding a console is a risk that lies in you and only you, everybody knows that...

I've been doing it since the 90s and i never had a problem with one system (well, except my Nokia 5800 but it was a minor issue that i repaired quickly), because when i do it, i know what to do and the risks involved, and when i leech on some work made by others, i follow their steps and do my research... I'm never the guinea pig, and those that bricked their PS3 are most precisely that: The Guinea Pigs... 

But i agree with you, i'm also glad that they're bricked, most of the guinea pigs are looking for piracy and/or cheating online, most homebrewers, devs, hackers, etc. are more cautious...

Firmware that bricks consoles? Are we sure Sony didn't release this custom firmware?

http://www.ps3vault.com/firmware-201-may-brick-the-ps3-2448

http://www.destructoid.com/man-sues-sony-after-firmware-bricked-his-ps3-151084.phtml

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/07/03/2-40-ps3-update-withdrawn-may-brick-ps3s/1

Custom or not. There is a history of firmware bricking consoles. Maybe hardware is to blame?

They should sue Sony!!!

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)