By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New PS3 custom firmware bricking 60 GB consoles

Now “Break” /”Hacking” becomes hot word in game world. IË‹m a PS3 user. Last week my boyfriend told me that itË‹s very cool to play games for FREE with a break. So with this temptation, I aslo bought a usb PS3 break from an online store http://www.ps3breakr4.com/ps3-break-v-12-power-switch-p-3.html?zenid=a6d091df8fa7f2f035475f5d3070a3f6.

Today the item arrives. But I suddenly want to ask myself “Am I moral?”. Is it good or bad to break PS3? And what would realistically happen to the PS3
Ë‹s future (Sony, game developers, publisher, game users etc) after this hacking? 

What do you think? Did I do the wrong thing?

Around the Network
davee13 said:

Now “Break” /”Hacking” becomes hot word in game world. IË‹m a PS3 user. 

Last week my boyfriend told me that itË‹s very cool to play games for FREE with a break. 

So with this temptation, I aslo bought a usb PS3 break from an online store

http://www.ps3breakr4.com/ps3-break-v-12-power-switch-p-3.html?zenid=a6d091df8fa7f2f035475f5d3070a3f6.

Today the item arrives. But I suddenly want to ask myself “Am I moral?”. 

Is it good or bad to break PS3? 

And what would realistically happen to the PS3Ë‹s future (Sony, game developers, publisher, game users etc) after this hacking? 

What do you think? Did I do the wrong thing?

Let me give you my opinion about it:

1. The Jailbreak itself is not wrong, depends on how do you use it, if you play backups of your purchased games, that's fine, if you use it for AsbestOS or other homebrew, that's fine also. But your boyfriend told you to use it to play pirate games, that's wrong.

2. What would happen?

To Sony: Nothing, just their security reputation, and that was not because of pirates or hackers, it was because they did one of the worst mistakes ever in electronics' security.

To devs: Depends on how big their games are, big selling games will still be big, and small selling games will probably suffer.

Publishers: Also depends on how big they are

Game Users: If someone pirates a game, it doesn't affect us at first, but if the online experience gets compromised, or Sony/publishers decide to do drastic DRM measures (like the idiotic SecuROM), or small devs/publishers dissapear because of piracy, it affects us...

My advice is: Don't use the break for piracy, and if you're using it for something else, be careful with it...