By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analysis: How Xbox 360 And Kinect Nearly Toppled Wii In 2010

RolStoppable said:
Squilliam said:

Wii users perhaps don't typically buy much software, but they play what they have heaps and when they first get the system they buy a lot. Hence the support for games which have gameplay longevity in either replayability or single player and the low peak software sales even though it outpaced the PS2 in the same timeframe. You could say its a lifestyle system.

Before jumping to that conclusion I would rather like to take a look at other systems with weak third party support. Out of those four systems on the graph, only the Wii is receiving the support of a traditional second or third place system while PS2, 360 and PS3 all enjoy the level of support for a first place system. I am quite sure that second and third place systems historically peaked earlier in their lifecycles than first place systems, but it might be hard to get the necessary data.

We don't have that data, that is speculation really. However given the types of games purchased and the subsequent value debate we have had before over the prices of games purchased there is support for the idea that the people who own Wiis generally buy software they intend to play for a long period of time in order to extract value from it. Third party software is generally discounted because it doesn't offer the same longevity or assurance of quality as a first party title.

Tease.

Around the Network

Squilliam says:

"It also doesn't count downloadable games which would likely push Xbox 360 and PS3 again away from the Wii."

He also says:

"We don't have that data, that is speculation really."

Am I the only one that sees inconsistency, here?

Anyway, I think it's not very fair to compare retail sales with downloadable sales, due to a net price differential. And while Wii Play itself is fairly cheap, you still have to pay a normal retail price to get it - you just get a Wiimote with it. On the other hand, a $5 downloadable title will increase the total number of titles, but not total amount of content or total value of games. The iPhone probably has a higher total number of games per system than any console, but the total value of those games is lucky to reach the price of a single console title.

Aielyn said:

Squilliam says:

"It also doesn't count downloadable games which would likely push Xbox 360 and PS3 again away from the Wii."

He also says:

"We don't have that data, that is speculation really."

Am I the only one that sees inconsistency, here?

Anyway, I think it's not very fair to compare retail sales with downloadable sales, due to a net price differential. And while Wii Play itself is fairly cheap, you still have to pay a normal retail price to get it - you just get a Wiimote with it. On the other hand, a $5 downloadable title will increase the total number of titles, but not total amount of content or total value of games. The iPhone probably has a higher total number of games per system than any console, but the total value of those games is lucky to reach the price of a single console title.

If you think its unfair because of a price difference then how about total revenue? Is it fair that the average sale price for games is about $12-$15 higher for the Xbox 360 in retail compared to the Wii and yet all people compare is the attach rate? On the one hand the iPhone etc have a high number of game sales but on the other hand the total revenue of something like the iPhone exceeds the PSP in terms of value of games sold. It is useful to compare total revenue of games instead of the attach rate because it tells us the true value of bought software. Under that metric however the Xbox 360 does even better compared to the Wii than when using attach rates, and even better again when you add the Xbox Live game revenue on top.

Tease.

Carl2291 said:

... In America.

Too bad it finished in 3rd place Worldwide for the Year, and sold almost 5 Million units less than the Wii.

Do you have proof that the ps3 outsold the 360 ww ?? Because after the yearly numbers that we have from U.S, Japan, Spain, France and the knowledge that the 360 was the best selling home console in the U.K (ps3 was 3rd) i don't see how someone can say that the ps3 sold (not shipped) more than the 360 worldwide .

johnglen said:
Carl2291 said:

... In America.

Too bad it finished in 3rd place Worldwide for the Year, and sold almost 5 Million units less than the Wii.

Do you have proof that the ps3 outsold the 360 ww ?? Because after the yearly numbers that we have from U.S, Japan, Spain, France and the knowledge that the 360 was the best selling home console in the U.K (ps3 was 3rd) i don't see how someone can say that the ps3 sold (not shipped) more than the 360 worldwide .

You're on a sales Website. You should use the sales data.

http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly.php?reg=World&console=&date=2010&maker=

PS3 - 14,397,555
X360 - 14,018,360

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
jarrod said:
Squilliam said:

Wii users perhaps don't typically buy much software,

I wouldn't even say that.  According to NPD, these are the US tie-ratios...

• Xbox 360: 8.9
  • PlayStation 3: 7.7
  • Wii: 7.1
...and those figures don't even count bundled games, which would immediately push Wii well ahead of PS3 and likely close to 360.

It also doesn't count downloadable games which would likely push Xbox 360 and PS3 again away from the Wii. To be honest if an at best $10-20 Wii Play title gets counted then surely online titles count as well?

Based on what?  Seems like an unfounding conclusion.

Squilliam said:
jarrod said:
Squilliam said:

...and those figures don't even count bundled games, which would immediately push Wii well ahead of PS3 and likely close to 360.

It also doesn't count downloadable games which would likely push Xbox 360 and PS3 again away from the Wii. To be honest if an at best $10-20 Wii Play title gets counted then surely online titles count as well?

Kasz216 said:
Squilliam said:
jarrod said:
Squilliam said:

Based on feedback from a developer I know with access to industry publisher data. Live >> PSN >> Wii in terms of downloadable sales numbers and revenue.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Kasz216 said:
Squilliam said:
jarrod said:
Squilliam said:

Based on feedback from a developer I know with access to industry publisher data. Live >> PSN >> Wii in terms of downloadable sales numbers and revenue.

How much industry publisher data are we talking here?

One company?  All companys?  Estimates?  If so, how are they calculated?

Kasz216 said:
Squilliam said:
Kasz216 said:

How much industry publisher data are we talking here?

One company?  All companys?  Estimates?  If so, how are they calculated?

Publisher sellthrough, anyway it kind of is pretty obvious given what anecdotes have been said in the open.

Tease.