By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analysis: How Xbox 360 And Kinect Nearly Toppled Wii In 2010

Darth Tigris said:

...................ok.

First, from your profile I'm old enough to be your father, so calling me a 'kid' is really disrespectful.

Second, to come onto a thread about analyzing NPD numbers and derailing it to talk about Worldwide numbers is trolling.  Any of us could've reported that but I left it alone because I'm not in a hurry to get people moderated unless they are consistently causing problems (come to think of it, I don't think I've ever reported anyone).  But if you think that we should go out and search for an "Ignore User" add on (which doesn't work in Chrome IIRC), maybe it would be better if you were moderated so that you understand a little about etiquitte on this site.

Long story short, if you don't have anything constructive to contribute to a thread, just don't post.  Many of us do it all of the time.  Derailing and personal attacks only create community problems that this community doesn't need.

Lastly, I love your sig.  Yeah, I ended this with a compliment.

I don't need to be modeated for saying it's a shame that it can't do it Worldwide. This is a sales thread, in the sales forum. Talking about sales in the thread is fine. My opening comment stated the obvious, that it was America. My second comment just showed how it doesn't really mean anything at all... "Almost" beating the Wii in one area.

If it was trolling, I would have said something along the lines of "Wii sucks, GO 360!"

What I actually did was say something a bunch of people don't like to hear. If that gets me a moderation, it just goes to prove something about this site really.

Around the Network
Nsanity said:
Carl2291 said:

... In America.

Too bad it finished in 3rd place Worldwide for the Year, and sold almost 5 Million units less than the Wii.

Who said anything about Worldwide?

I'm here to shed light on that. Americans asked for this.

Check out the annual software sales as well, Wii 2nd year peak FTW.

Tease.

I hadn't noticed that the 360 was so close to the Wii in total sales in the US this year.  it is interesting to "guess" what will happen in 2011.  Istill think that it would be better to predict 2011's #'s in the first week of april.  that actually gives us some actual data to look at and analyze.

And lol @ Gamasutra creating a headline about something that didn't actually happen!  Really shows where their allegiance is in my opinion...

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Aielyn said:

What does the Xbox 360 have coming in 2011 to maintain the sales it saw in 2010? Not in terms of new hardware or price cuts, but software - the things that people buy the hardware to play. They don't even MENTION upcoming 360 titles, despite the fact that such titles are pretty much absolutely essential to making a coherent prediction.

Choice of language can be revealing. Did you notice that, rather than saying that the 360 sold nearly as well as the Wii, the phrasing was that the 360 nearly outsold the Wii? And without making mention of the Wii having a weaker year, either.

What does the Xbox 360 have coming?

• Kinect updates and Kinect avatar chat/group chat.
  • Obviously some Live thingies.
  • Forza: Kinect, which looks quite promising if unproved as the 2nd major motion racing game this gen.
  • Buncha random Kinect games from Japan, mechs etc.
  • Gears of War 3 / maybe Halo.
  • Buncha Rare games and some other unannounced 1st party projects
  • Lotsa 3rd party multiplats
  • Smattering of smaller PC/360 sexclusives
  • Rumours of a Live cable service.
  • Some unannounced western Kinect games and that Star Wars 1 which was delayed to Q4
  • Maybe a price cut?

You know equaling the Wii would require the 360 to sell exactly the same number of units. Outselling the Wii has quite a range of possible numbers. So it is better to say that the Wii nearly got passed than it is to say that the Wii nearly got equalled. Arguably they could have also said that the 360 sold as well. But I seriously doubt you'd have liked that either.

I wasn't actually asking for an answer to it in here. I was pointing out that this is something that should be discussed in an analysis. The questions I asked in here were rhetorical.

The point about the language wasn't that equalling Wii sales is a likely result. The point was that the choice of comparison reveals the writer's attitude. A balanced observation would be that the 360 almost matched the Wii for sales. 360-preference would lead, as it did in this case, to the 360 almost beating the Wii. Wii-preference would lead to a comment that it failed to keep up with the Wii. An analysis should be balanced, not biased.

RolStoppable said:

This graph is really reflective of the strength of third party support. The Wii only got as far as Nintendo could push it and once they had messed up with their 2008 holiday lineup, the software started to drop in line with the hardware.

Meanwhile, the HD consoles are following the PS2. The 360 bucks the trend in year 5, because unlike the PS2, its hardware sales were up year over year.

Wii users perhaps don't typically buy much software, but they play what they have heaps and when they first get the system they buy a lot. Hence the support for games which have gameplay longevity in either replayability or single player and the low peak software sales even though it outpaced the PS2 in the same timeframe. You could say its a lifestyle system.

Tease.

LivingMetal said:
Darth Tigris said:
Nsanity said:
Carl2291 said:

... In America.

Too bad it finished in 3rd place Worldwide for the Year, and sold almost 5 Million units less than the Wii.

Who said anything about Worldwide?

Trolls.

Some people sure take comfort by cherry picking the parts they just want to see. 

Some people sure have a skewed view of "cherry picking" when it comes to NPD threads. 

Squilliam said:

Wii users perhaps don't typically buy much software,

I wouldn't even say that.  According to NPD, these are the US tie-ratios...

• Xbox 360: 8.9
  • PlayStation 3: 7.7
  • Wii: 7.1
...and those figures don't even count bundled games, which would immediately push Wii well ahead of PS3 and likely close to 360.

jarrod said:
Squilliam said:

Wii users perhaps don't typically buy much software,

I wouldn't even say that.  According to NPD, these are the US tie-ratios...

• Xbox 360: 8.9
  • PlayStation 3: 7.7
  • Wii: 7.1
...and those figures don't even count bundled games, which would immediately push Wii well ahead of PS3 and likely close to 360.

It also doesn't count downloadable games which would likely push Xbox 360 and PS3 again away from the Wii. To be honest if an at best $10-20 Wii Play title gets counted then surely online titles count as well?

Tease.