By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - wii the wii be the third game system to reach 100 million or the ps3?

The PS3 will make 100 million. It will be the third console to do so. The Wii has some chances to do that, but just probably like GC will run off steam in next 1-2 years.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
Rath said:
highwaystar101 said:
Neither I'm afraid. maybe 80 million for the wii if it's lucky and perhaps 40 - 50 million for 360 and PS3

So you think the market isn't going to grow?

That has never ever happened in the past. The minimum to expect this generation is about 220M all up, the max is around 360M all up.

I do think it's goign to grow, but only by 20-25%. I think that this new accesability to the Wii will be short lived (perhaps another 18 months) and the other consoles are offering a more hardcore attitude that could scare off the casual gamer.

The PS2 is a nice benchmark for this question, even though the video games market is expanding.

The Wii will make 100 million for sure, since it's selling better than the PS2, and the reasons for this level of sales are going to continue being true. The PS3 has a very low chance of doing it, since it's selling considerably worse than the PS2 did, and it'll always be more expensive than the PS2 was at the same point in their lives.

100 million is a number which can only be attained by a console which appeals to casual gamers. From the current generation, guess which console that is...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

darthdevidem said:
@Parokki

why would 3rd party support suddenly stop

AC & COD4 are both 1 million + sellers

NFS pro street & oblivion are both 500K +

n NFS seems to not leave the 100K weekly rate right now...

AC and CoD4 look like they'll be the third and fourth millions sellers on the PS3 in a week or two, and the first two third party ones. It's over a year since the system launched and aside from those it's got a bunch of games at over 500k.

Do I have to tell you why this is disasterously bad? Developing on the PS3 is extremely expensive, and there are probably under ten games that third party developers have made a profit on, maybe even less. The other platforms are offering lower development costs, easier to use tools, and more sales. It still seems like other companies are willing to take losses for Sony's sake out of pure nostalogy for the good old PS2 days, but we're seeing signs of growing discontent all the time.

CrazzyMan said:
The PS3 will make 100 million. It will be the third console to do so. The Wii has some chances to do that, but just probably like GC will run off steam in next 1-2 years.

Your username explained everything.

Around the Network
flagship said:

I think the Wii has a 50/50 shot at hitting 100 million, I see the system stopping more around 80-90 million. I think the years graphically won't be kind to the Wii and sales will drop a bit as the 360 and PS3 prices continue to drop. Also so far I see Nintendo putting out sequels for all of its big guns and I wonder what they'll have left to push the system with in a couple more years.

The PS3 has no chance in hell of reaching 100 million, Sony is going to have to release the PS4 sooner than they wish to compete with the next gen. Xbox and PC gaming.

I really don't think that either of the arguments in the bolded sentence make much sense at all. I see them a lot, and they seem to only be grounded in wishful thinking.

On the point of graphics, the Wii already looks dated. Wii games only 'wow' with artistic presentation, not technical prowess. I just don't see why millions of people who love the Wii will suddenly turn into graphics whores and reject it in favour of a system that pushes more polygons.

Here's where somebody usually brings up HDTV adoption rates or some such. Yeah... they don't matter. X360 and PS3 don't need an HD display to look better than Wii, and Wii owners are very likely to have an HDTV already. Wii owners aren't in this for the pixels.

On the point of price, the Wii will always have a price advantage over the competition. If the PS3 ever gets to $200, the Wii will be down to $100. Unless, of course, it's still selling out without the cut. Sony is eating huge losses to sell the PS3 at $400, I'm not sure if it could ever sell the PS3 at $200 before the end of this generation.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

RCTjunkie said:
CrazzyMan said:

Your username explained everything.

Actually I agree with crazzyman, in two years or so the wii will lose steam, but all consoles have too at some point, but the PS3, as god as it is, will never make 100m

Wow, how on earth anyone can still think that the PS3 will sell over 100, or even 50 mil is beyond me.

Wii will sell over 100 mil on its very last legs. PS3 and 360 will fight for 2nd, each with about 40 mil.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

it will get there am sure... about the ps3 not very sure

Bursche said:
Wow, how on earth anyone can still think that the PS3 will sell over 100, or even 50 mil is beyond me.

Wii will sell over 100 mil on its very last legs. PS3 and 360 will fight for 2nd, each with about 40 mil.

the ps3 will sell over 50 million because of brand name alone. it's the 360 that im unsure about. (i will say it will because even though america supports the 360 gr8ly and america isn't the world it is a pretty powerful market!!)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius