By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - wii the wii be the third game system to reach 100 million or the ps3?

Ajax said:
now i think of it
the gamecube really sold bad
the xbox outsold the gamecube with a market less (japan),
and no history in the console gaming world..

And?

That post seemed to have lots of thinking and very little point. 

Around the Network

@rath

don't give me some twisted graph...

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=XB&reg3=All&weeks=156

n BTW Xbox's sales ended at around 7.1 million by the end of the holidays in that graph

PS3 will be over 8 million at that time....

So right now Ps3 is leading by 1 million (after launching in EU much later as well)

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

@Rath

The ps3 was 1M ahead of the xbox and it costs much more.

mM

That post seemed to have lots of thinking and very little point.

lol

''Hadouken!''

i get the feeling that some sentences or some words or some thoughts are automatically linked by some members here with fanboyism and bias

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network
darthdevidem said:
@rath

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=XB&reg3=All&weeks=156

n BTW Xbox's sales ended at around 7.1 million by the end of the holidays in that graph

So right now Ps3 is leading by 1 million (after launching in EU much later as well)

The Xbox launched later in the EU and in Japan. The Xbox ended at around 7.3M, not 7.1.

Also I wasn't posting proof it was selling worse than the Xbox, I was posting proof that it isnt guaranteed to outsellf it lifetime. The sales are close enough that there is a possibility that it could sell less than the Xbox, but I would say only a 5% chance that it will. My guess for LTD sales of the PS3 is acutally more like 40M. 

IF either do achieve 100 million, I would possibly lean toward the PS3. I cant see the Wii's popularity dying out for a long time, but I think toward 2009 unless developers REALLY start innovating with the Wiimote the casuals are gonna get pretty tired of playing the same thing. For the hardcore Wii owners its fine, like PS3/360 owners we all generally play similar games and their sequels but I cant see the casual staying interested as long when something else may come along outside of gaming.

As such, I see the PS3 gaining significant ground on the Wii after 2008, and keeping hold. But who knows? All I have to go on are my own thoughts really as previous sales are useless, the console market is so unpredictable.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

The Wii will make 100 million. It will be the third console to do so. The PS3 won't ever make 100 million, no matter how long Sony delay the PS4

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Rath said:
darthdevidem said:
@rath

The Xbox launched later in the EU and in Japan. The Xbox ended at around 7.3M, not 7.1.

Also I wasn't posting proof it was selling worse than the Xbox, I was posting proof that it isnt guaranteed to outsellf it lifetime. The sales are close enough that there is a possibility that it could sell less than the Xbox, but I would say only a 5% chance that it will. My guess for LTD sales of the PS3 is acutally more like 40M.

Although the first year sales are similar, the Xbox only had a life of around 3 and a half to 4 years (attraction obviously fell once the 360 was announced mid 2005). Even if the 10 year plan is a bit extreme, Sony will not be looking to replace the PS3 for a long time withall the money theyve poured into it.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

That`s hard to answer..

Who won`t buy a wii for 99$?
Who won`t buy a ps3 for 199$?

The all answers about PS3 will be by the end of 2009.
Though, Ratchet delivered graphics, which are closest to pixar animation.
GT5:prologue delivered graphics, which are closest to real life or CGI.
Looks like Naruto PS3 project will deliver graphics most closest to anime.

So, if KZ2 and FFXIII deliver graphics, which are most close to CGI, i don`t know many people who will then pass PS3 for 199$.
More over, THEN PS3 will drive even new consumers, which in past were thinking about games just about primitive entertainment stuff, but after seeing movie-like graphics, they may actually get interested in games.
Just remeber that Japan ad of GT5:Prologue - "Geemu?". =]

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far