By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - wii the wii be the third game system to reach 100 million or the ps3?

leo-j said:
@Jhawk

I dont know if the wii will make it to 100 M, I dont know if any console this gen will make it to 100M.

Agreed!! I see something like: 85 million Wii, 70 million PS3 and 40 million 360s.

So to answer you question, none. 

Around the Network

Ratched doesn't come close to Pixar, not even their original movies, you either haven't compared the two, or don't know what you are talking about and just going on what other people say. You would have to be pretty optimistic to think RC comes close to Pixar film, it just doesn't. When will the PS3 be 200$? Not for at least a couple of years. Why are you only talking about the graphics of these games? You should know by now that doesn't matter in terms of sales. Movie-like graphics are not going to be the thing that turns the PS3 tide. Good games are. Doesn't matter how pretty a game is if it sucks to play (lair, and i would go as far to say HS).

The Wii is a prime example. It has the worst visuals out of all three systems, but it is bringing in a whole new group people who were never interested in games before.   Not because of "movie-like-graphics"..but because it is a boatload of FUN!!!

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

Just a question, why do so many of you expect the PS3 to perform at such a high level?

Through out 2007 we've been hearing every third party say that they have given too little support to the Wii and that they will be supporting it more in the future. If sales continue as they have been (which is fairly likely) these third party developers will change their tune to "We have supported the PS3 too heavily" ...

Who wouldn't buy a PS3 at $199? The guy who wants Guitar Hero 4/5 which wasn't released for the PS3 because Guitar Hero 3 sold so poorly on the PS3.

I can see the Wii hitting 100 million if it continues at this rate. Nintendo is doing a great job expanding the market, and as long as the concept doesn't lose popularity, the Wii will propel itself through this gen. PS3 and 360 sales will probably end up around even, both considerably lower.

I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

darthdevidem said:
@Parokki

by what logic can you say Ps3 STILL can't beat GX/Xbox sales??

I'm not saying it can't beat the GC and Xbox. It'll probably do better than them, but I'm not convinced enough to call it guaranteed yet. I think the PS3 will most likely end up somewhere between 30 and 45 million, the upper estimate if it keeps getting third party games in 2009 and people keep buying it, and the lower if developers stop seeing a reason to support it and nothing drastic happens otherwise.    

Around the Network

Guys, I think it's impossible for the Wii to not make it to 100 Million.

It's selling twice as fast as the PS2 had
is the cheapest of the 3 current gen consoles
is being sold at a profit
hasn't had a single price drop yet, but obvious can at any time it's deemed necessary
is marketing to a wide audience from the very beginning
still has yet to introduce new colors
hasn't introduced any new design (DVD support, hard drive, not likely, but possible)
has only just started to implement features that incorporate the DS

and Nintendo has stated they'll support the console for as long as there is call for it so that means that its lifetime will easily be as long as the PS2's.
This is not a fad, it will not stay limited to just casual games. The DS started with Nintendogs as its big IP, but now it has plenty of different games of varying intensity.
The Wii is well on it's way to 17 million, possibly 18 million, and that is only because of Nintendo's limited production rate. Even the most conservative predictions should be based on Nintendo selling just as much each year, which would put it at roughly 15 million every year.
15 x 7 + 3(from 2006 sales) = 108
Keep in mind, the actual sales will likely be higher, so even if Nintendo does decide for some reason to come out with a new console in only 5 years, the Wii would likely be approaching the 100 million mark by this time and will still creep into the 100 million mark by its 6th to 7th year.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Grey Acumen said:
Guys, I think it's impossible for the Wii to not make it to 100 Million.

It's selling twice as fast as the PS2 had
is the cheapest of the 3 current gen consoles
is being sold at a profit
hasn't had a single price drop yet, but obvious can at any time it's deemed necessary
is marketing to a wide audience from the very beginning
still has yet to introduce new colors
hasn't introduced any new design (DVD support, hard drive, not likely, but possible)
has only just started to implement features that incorporate the DS

and Nintendo has stated they'll support the console for as long as there is call for it so that means that its lifetime will easily be as long as the PS2's.
This is not a fad, it will not stay limited to just casual games. The DS started with Nintendogs as its big IP, but now it has plenty of different games of varying intensity.
The Wii is well on it's way to 17 million, possibly 18 million, and that is only because of Nintendo's limited production rate. Even the most conservative predictions should be based on Nintendo selling just as much each year, which would put it at roughly 15 million every year.
15 x 7 + 3(from 2006 sales) = 108
Keep in mind, the actual sales will likely be higher, so even if Nintendo does decide for some reason to come out with a new console in only 5 years, the Wii would likely be approaching the 100 million mark by this time and will still creep into the 100 million mark by its 6th to 7th year.

Although your logic is sound, I dont think you can apply it to the Wii. For a standard console yes, it'd be fine and Id agree theres no way it couldnt hit 100 mil. But the Wii is entirely different, its never been seen before where a console has made such an impact in the casual market place so you cant assume that what happened in the past will repeat itself because we're not dealing with the same scenario here, its entirely different.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Neither I'm afraid. maybe 80 million for the wii if it's lucky and perhaps 40 - 50 million for 360 and PS3

@Parokki

why would 3rd party support suddenly stop

AC & COD4 are both 1 million + sellers

NFS pro street & oblivion are both 500K +

n NFS seems to not leave the 100K weekly rate right now...

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

highwaystar101 said:
Neither I'm afraid. maybe 80 million for the wii if it's lucky and perhaps 40 - 50 million for 360 and PS3

So you think the market isn't going to grow?

That has never ever happened in the past. The minimum to expect this generation is about 220M all up, the max is around 360M all up.