By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has a real chance of dethroning Nintendo 3DS

Squilliam said:
FinalEvangelion said:
HappySqurriel said:

The 3DS is the successor to the most successful previous system (and most successful system of all time), with full support of third party publishers, will launch earlier and (probably) with a lower price ... In the history of gaming systems, I don't think there has ever been a system which has as much of an advantage as the 3DS has over the PSP2.

Now, the PSPs has a chance to dethrone the 3DS and I also have a chance of beating Usain Bolt in the 100m dash ... I'm pretty sure my chances are better than the PSP2's; after all, Usain Bolt could pull a hamstring 5 meters into the race.

Of course that was the situation with the PS3 over the PS2 at the time of launch.  No one thought the Wii would do anything at the time they launched (PS3 / Wii).

Anything can happen in the world of video game consoles.  PSP2 probably won't dethrone the 3DS, but it isn't impossible.

Except the PS3 launched after the Xbox 360 so it wasn't exactly first out of the gate and once they announced the price people did start to have some serious doubts about the PS3. It isn't quite a comparable scenario. Furthermore the PSP2 looks to be repeating what was a losing formula whereas the 3DS is merely augmenting a winning design with additional features and no mistakes which can be noted as of yet.

Whoa! Not so fast! We must check similarities in many other essential things between PS3 and 3DS before deciding.

Let's make it simple and clear.

Horrible launch price

PS3..........Check

3DS..........Check

"3" and "S" in the name

PS3..........Check

3DS..........Check

RIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!

PS3..........Check

3DS..........Check

Fancy (and expensive) new tech

PS3..........Check (BD)

3DS..........Check (3D)

Meh battery life

PS3..........Miss

3DS..........Check

Giant Enemy Crabs

PS3..........Check

3DS..........Miss

...The comparison clearly shows that 3DS has less chances than PS3 had when it launched. Hard facts and tech stuff, you know, they can't lie.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

unless the PSP2 has.

A) Something on the technical side that the 3DS CAN'T do except for prettier graphics or

B) A lower price

I don't see Sony managing to even come CLOSE to challenging Nintendo. The 3DS will probably retail for around $250 in the US and become 2011's big Xmas gift as nearly every hardcore gamer and normal civilian had a DS. The 3DS also already has MASSIVE third party support with companies like SE, Atlus, CAPCOM, Konami, and Ubisoft committed to making games for it as well as Nintendo making quite a few new titles for it.

As for the tech side, there's nothing I can think of that the PSP2 could do except prettier graphics which didn't give the PSP ANY sort of sales boost.

Never have I been so sure that a system would absolutely crush another system. And it seems most people share my mindset.

This thread was a great read.

Now I'm going to feel like I'm dying when I wake up tomorrow bacause I stayed up too long reading this....

I LOVE ICELAND!

Beuli2 said:
Strategyking92 said:

The DS phat did it, wii did it, the kinect did it, now the gimmick for the 3DS will bring it success as well. New technology like this sells, as long as it does a good enough job.

Why do you guys come with stuff that these gimicks are the major driving force that sold the hardware?

Oh I don't know, personal experience? Common sense

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Chance: yes, even with odds from 1 against 1,000,000 it stills one chance...

More seriously sony could beat the 3DS with the PSP2, but they have to play they card extremely well because Nintendo looks to have play their cards even more better than with the wii and DS. They have the wow factor, hype and support for 3rd party from start.

The only draw backs for the 3DS could be the sale price (250 USD/Euro) and maybe a little the battery life (but if it's equal to the DSi as certain people pointed, then it was not really a problem).

The rumored Psp2 seems to be a monster in power... So you can expect a lower battery life (this couple with the big Hi-res screen) and also a pretty expensive price for the powerful CPU/GPU, RAM, Hi-Res big screen and big battery.

Also these elements could indicate that development cost for the PSP2 would be much higher than the 3DS, so games are unlikely to be cheaper, they could be at the same price a best. But as the PSP2 haven't been officially announce now, this is just conjecture. Just hope for sony they won't pull off a PS3 again (every expensive handheld: 350 USD with few games at launch window).

But we must first concentrate ourselves on the way to entertain people, for video games to live. Else, it's a world where sales representative will win, which has as effect to kill creativity. I want to say to the creators all around the world:"Courage, Dare!". Shigeru Miyamoto.

Around the Network
davidd_err18 said:

MMMM if PSP2 have the ammount of power that some Sony fans said it has just imagine the price of the thing <_<!

599 US dollars :0 besides the games for it? $50 like a Wii game :/ and the battery life?

knowing sony...

In typical fasion it seems that you have only known sony since the start of this gen.

Like most other robots.

People predicted that the Wii would flop because they know Nintendo and many, MANY predicted the PSP would crush the Dinosauric DS because the know Sony.

homer said:

I am siding with the psp2 simply because it seems that whenever something is supposed to destroy something else, it doesn't happen. Of course, if sony pulls another 2006, they will probably lose.

Like you, I think Nintendo is being overestimated as Sony was. They aren't invincible. No one is. If a small end disruptor came with a good handheld and some must-buy games, Nintendo could loose. But I don't think Sony can pull this with the PSP2 since they are even more stupid than Nintendo and will just go the same path the 3DS is going.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Strategyking92 said:
Beuli2 said:
Strategyking92 said:

The DS phat did it, wii did it, the kinect did it, now the gimmick for the 3DS will bring it success as well. New technology like this sells, as long as it does a good enough job.

Why do you guys come with stuff that these gimicks are the major driving force that sold the hardware?

Oh I don't know, personal experience? Common sense

But they weren't the main factor.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Just on a side note, I think people are assuming too much about the price of the 3DS  because It could still end up being $200 or $219; and even if it ends up being $250 I don't think it is the problem many people think it is.

My thought is centered on what people have paid (and still are paying) for portable electronics. Most people spent more on the iPods they purchased over the years, and the 3DS is still (roughly) the price of the cheapest iPod Touch on the market. When you look at how much the iPad and Tablet PCs cost $250 doesn’t seem that expensive at all.

Or to put it another way, when people seem to want a device $250 doesn’t seem to be a barrier to them buying it; and the real question isn’t whether it is expensive or not, it is whether Nintendo can convince people to buy into the 3DS at $250.

I'm late to the party as usual and I ain't reading this thread!  So in the past, Nintendo has publicly admitted that the Gameboy was in black and white (or green and yellow) because even though the tech at the time allowed for color, what mattered most was battery life and such.  They admitted with the GBA that it could have had backlightting but what was important was price and battery life.  What mattered most with the DS was innovation.

No gaming company knows the handheld market like Nintendo.  For over twenty years, they didn't add new tech because it was there.  They added it because the time was right--unlike their overpowerd/undersold competition.  I don't suspect that's sudenly going to change.

There's a better chance of me getting AIDS than there is of Sony beating Nintendo--and it's impossible for me to get AIDS because that hooker told me she was clean.