By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has a real chance of dethroning Nintendo 3DS

3DS isn't out yet and it already is the king!

No, I don't think PSP2 stands a chance to dethrone Nintendo in the handeld market. But! Sony must hurry up or Apple is going to take its place! Which place? Number two, of course. Which is not a bad thing. I mean, is good to be king, but in marketing you can still make a lot of money by not being the leader. You can have a hell of a great business by just being the alternative.

How? It is called repositioning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DixFg-reeaw

The problem here is that don't think Sony is accepting the fact that the playstation brand is no longer the leader. Now the xbox brand is claiming the number 2 spot in home videogame console. (Well, yes, there is still room to fight for that spot)

But in the handheld market they have always presented PSP ignoring the huge shadow of Nintendo. They got to start by accepting that can't be the market share leader or be on the number one spot of the consumer's mind. But they got to fight to secure it's second place by repositioning Nintendo. They must be seen as the best and only alternative, the anti-3DS.

If they don't do that someone will. But I still think Sony has the best chance to secure that second profitable position if they play their cards right

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

Just on a side note, I think people are assuming too much about the price of the 3DS  because It could still end up being $200 or $219; and even if it ends up being $250 I don't think it is the problem many people think it is.

My thought is centered on what people have paid (and still are paying) for portable electronics. Most people spent more on the iPods they purchased over the years, and the 3DS is still (roughly) the price of the cheapest iPod Touch on the market. When you look at how much the iPad and Tablet PCs cost $250 doesn’t seem that expensive at all.

Or to put it another way, when people seem to want a device $250 doesn’t seem to be a barrier to them buying it; and the real question isn’t whether it is expensive or not, it is whether Nintendo can convince people to buy into the 3DS at $250.

It is quite likely that the 3DS will sell to the core market for the first year and also be sold out the entire time. The price only starts to be a factor once the handheld isn't sold out anymore and Nintendo have increased production. Only when supply really increases or demand decreases would there be a price drop from the original $249 or $299 price point. Although it is possible that the 3DS will sell so well it won't recieve a price drop until well after 2013 or thenabouts when Nintendo will quite likely release an updated version with better batteries and cameras/screens, sort of like they released the DS lite.

Tease.

3ds will outsell psp2, no question about it

3ds has too much behind it, third partyy, 3d, nintendo games

psp2 isnt even announced yet, and if it is just going to be a more powerful psp, then 3ds is gonna crap on it

if it has some new feature, like 3ds and 3d, maybe, but it depends on what it is and what games come out, but right now there is no way sony has a real chanve of anything

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

Beuli2 said:
Strategyking92 said:
Beuli2 said:
Strategyking92 said:

The DS phat did it, wii did it, the kinect did it, now the gimmick for the 3DS will bring it success as well. New technology like this sells, as long as it does a good enough job.

Why do you guys come with stuff that these gimicks are the major driving force that sold the hardware?

Oh I don't know, personal experience? Common sense

But they weren't the main factor.

Yes, because pigs don't roll around in their own filth.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
Beuli2 said:
Strategyking92 said:
Beuli2 said:
Strategyking92 said:

The DS phat did it, wii did it, the kinect did it, now the gimmick for the 3DS will bring it success as well. New technology like this sells, as long as it does a good enough job.

Why do you guys come with stuff that these gimicks are the major driving force that sold the hardware?

Oh I don't know, personal experience? Common sense

But they weren't the main factor.

Yes, because pigs don't roll around in their own filth.

I'm not quite fond on pigs as you are but video games don't sell without games behind it.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network

PS2 launched at a pricetag of 499 euros in Europe. I remember the PS2 at 20,000 Belgian francs( -499 euros).

They may have a chance, but it's going to be tough having to fight uphill after a year or more of the 3DS in the market when the PSP 2 is finally released. The 3DS is going to get a lot of positive press for the 3-D without the glasses thing, and add to that the strong first and third party support games schedule for launch and throughout the year, and the 3DS is likely the number 1 story in video games for 2011. I don't see how PSP2 matches that just on more blunt power alone, if that's their goal. Price is something that should concern both systems, but if the 3DS is $250 I don't see much of a problem.

What's going to sell it is the same as what sold the Wii, people's first instant impression upon experiencing the new kind of gameplay. If that's positive everything else takes care of itself. And with games like MGS and Resident Evil it can be Nintendo's most hardcore handheld ever. I think it will be really big, though no matter how big Sony should definetly stay in the handheld market. As we've seen with the PS3 that while third has become more successful than almost any second place system in previous generations, you don't have to be first to have a hit.