By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has a real chance of dethroning Nintendo 3DS

dahuman said:
Raze said:

The only flaw with your statement is that for it to be cheaper than the 3DS, it needs to have cheaper components. Which pretty much means slower processor, less ram, lesser quality graphics. Pretty much an inferior system. I don't think you can pull a "Wii success" with handhelds. Besides, Sony is always about bells and whistles, they will soup up the PSP2 to be at least on par, pricewise, with the 3DS.

I do agree that the 3DS lineup sucks. They should have had Ocarina of Time ready for launch, the game is like 13 years old now afterall.

As for the battery life, that can change with electronic tweaks or a better battery. 3-5 wouldnt bode well for those long car trips with the kids in the back, unless you had a power convertor to plug in to.

They can't have 1st party line ups at launch this time around since it'd murder 3rd party efforts, it's the right thing to do to get more support down the line. That's just how it is, but a few months down the road, it's going to be insane every month.

I agree. They most likely held off on their first party stuff in order to let the 3rd parties launch their systems. They don't need to release their own software just yet because it'll be sold out for the first 10-12 months anyway. Since they have limited capacity they may as well target the red ocean customers first (core) in order to bring them over to their side. Then by 2012 or 2013 as they ramp up production they'll also start to finalise the first revision to the handheld which is based off the feedback they get from the market as to the overall hardware design. Before, during or a little after that point they'll probably cut the price a bit and go for the broader market.

Tease.

Around the Network
Raze said:
dahuman said:
Raze said:

The only flaw with your statement is that for it to be cheaper than the 3DS, it needs to have cheaper components. Which pretty much means slower processor, less ram, lesser quality graphics. Pretty much an inferior system. I don't think you can pull a "Wii success" with handhelds. Besides, Sony is always about bells and whistles, they will soup up the PSP2 to be at least on par, pricewise, with the 3DS.

I do agree that the 3DS lineup sucks. They should have had Ocarina of Time ready for launch, the game is like 13 years old now afterall.

As for the battery life, that can change with electronic tweaks or a better battery. 3-5 wouldnt bode well for those long car trips with the kids in the back, unless you had a power convertor to plug in to.

They can't have 1st party line ups at launch this time around since it'd murder 3rd party efforts, it's the right thing to do to get more support down the line. That's just how it is, but a few months down the road, it's going to be insane every month.

Hmm but it didnt seem to hurt the DS, no? Didnt they have have 1st party games at launch?

Remember the dev cost is going up too. Where it was OK to fail on DS games, the precentage of that option will start to go lower, successful 3rd parties at the start will ensure more money printing down the line. Nintendo is not a huge risk taker mind you (they do take risks, but I doubt they'd pull some shit like the Virtual Boy again,) they want to ensure profit gains no matter what.

OneTwoThree said:

Do we actually have any confirmed info about PSP2 yet? So we don't know what it does, but we're betting on how well it will sell?

Anyway, I think Sony is in a difficult situation. I'd describe their systems as being conservatively designed, but powerful. Kind of the "brute force" approach. If your competitor has a strong novelty feature though (and you don't), your system has to be extra powerful to still convince buyers. If Sony decides to take that route, the PSP2 would be graphically impressive, but plagued by the same problems as PSP1: High price, low battery life. 

The other option would be inventing their own unique feature(s). Maybe putting a stronger emphasis on media center / communication features than Nintendo does? Something completely different? 

Simply copying Nintendos key feature (again) is a bit harder this time: Touch screens have become the de facto standard in media devices (smartphones, tablets, game systems), so Sony probably wants to have that. But on a one display device, a 3D display won't go well with a touch screen. I bet that this is the one problem that keeps Apple from putting out a 3D iphone, btw. So Sony will have to choose what they're going to adapt, touch screen or 3D?

Tricky. They'll be fine, I think, after all there's a market for Sony style games, and their IPs have a strong following. But beating 3DS? Not without an own big innovation on their hands, I'd say.

EDIT: Wouldn't it make sense if Sony dropped the UMD and switched to cartridges instead? 3DS cartridges are rumored to be up to 8GB in size - far more than the clunky, battery-consuming, easily breakable UMD. 

Well, the prototype for the PSP2 has the touchscreen on the back, so Sony could still persue a glassless 3-D screen if they wished.  I don't think they will, though, as it would add even more cost to what is most likely going to be a powerful handheld (read costly).  If the PSP2 is powerful enough, they could try going for passive 3-D with glasses.  I am curious how that back touchscreen will work, though.

As far as the UMD goes, I don't think the prototype even had one.  Could be wrong, of course.  If Sony is going UMD-less, they definitely need to put in place some method for putting PSP games on the PSP2.  Well, other than just buying and downloading them again.  Otherwise, they are going to lose some customers for not having a well thought out BC model.  One of the contributing factors to the failure of the PSP Go.

although i dont believe sony can dethrone the nintendo handheld brand, it can however make inroads.

the only waay is

• lower price
  • lower price games
  • 3d touch screen
  • rear track pad
  • use game cards NOT discs
  • handheld orientated games unlike psp which are console based games

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

SpartenOmega117 said:

It seems besides the launch lineup many recent news about the 3DS have been disappoointing.It has a lower than expected battery life, more expensiv games, and possibly a hefty price tag. If sony plays their cards right then that have real chance of dethroning the 3ds with PSP2:

3DS has a 3.5 hour battery life- Sony should try to get at least a 5 hour battery life.

3DS will have $40-$50 games-Sony should try to maintain the price of games with the current PSP.

3DS will likely launch at $300- Sony demolished the dreamcast by announcing the PS2 for $300. If sony announces the PSP2 for $250 or lower then that could be a real game changer.

So what do you guys think? Does sony has a real chance of dethroning Nintendo?

absolutely not!

Around the Network

if you think about it, psp wasnt known for fps's which is a massive genre. ds cant do it with 1 thumb stick so i think that will be a major point.

in japan, which ever gets monster hunter first will dominate but again, i think it will be better on psp with a second thumb stick, PSN and better graphics.

lastly, piracy, it screws up 3rd party support, if one gets hit by it and the other doesnt then one will obvisouly have an advantage.

but then again nintendo can sell anything to little kids so on a sales point, i expect 3ds to do better but on games i think psp2 will be much better.

libellule said:

3DS : most insane portable hype EVER

PSP2 : no hype

I guess u are wrong

PSP2 isnt even announced yet.

FiredBat said:

I say that if Sony releases PSP2 around the same time as 3DS at 200$ with a half decent launch lineup and KB advertisements, were in for an interesting handheld console war.

The 3DS is being launched in Japan on the 26th February, you believe that Sony could announce, hype up and then launch the PSP2 anywhen near that date?  Even if they did, did you know what happened to the Saturn?

fps_d0minat0r said:

if you think about it, psp wasnt known for fps's which is a massive genre. ds cant do it with 1 thumb stick so i think that will be a major point.

in japan, which ever gets monster hunter first will dominate but again, i think it will be better on psp with a second thumb stick, PSN and better graphics.

lastly, piracy, it screws up 3rd party support, if one gets hit by it and the other doesnt then one will obvisouly have an advantage.

but then again nintendo can sell anything to little kids so on a sales point, i expect 3ds to do better but on games i think psp2 will be much better.

Have you played MP Hunters?

The 3DS set up would just be fine for an FPS if that control scheme is used and the D-Pad replaced with the slider.

Ninpanda said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Beuli2 said:
milkyjoe said:

Of course it has a great chance, it's obviously somehow going to be more powerful, and have a longer battery life, all while being cheaper.

In that scenario, it's a definite win for Sony.

You just forgot about the most important thing.

And that would be...?

Quality software.

PSP has quality software and im sure its succsesor will too