By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has a real chance of dethroning Nintendo 3DS

milkyjoe said:

Of course it has a great chance, it's obviously somehow going to be more powerful, and have a longer battery life, all while being cheaper.

In that scenario, it's a definite win for Sony.

You just forgot about the most important thing.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Squilliam said:

How many multiplat handheld games are there? How many of the top 50 handheld games are multiplatform? Not many from what I can tell, does that answer your question.

Nintendo: By the way, handheld games don't tend to become multiplatform.

Sony: Oh.

omg I love your posts! :D

Thanks!

That might change though, with things becoming more standard on the hardware side these days so something like the MT Framework Mobile can easily pump out multiplats if the user base is close, with that being said, that'd be even lesser of a reason for me to get something like a PSP2 if there are more multiplat games since I got the PSP for some PSP specific games and none of my game is a 1st party SONY game.

dahuman said:
Squilliam said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Squilliam said:

How many multiplat handheld games are there? How many of the top 50 handheld games are multiplatform? Not many from what I can tell, does that answer your question.

Thanks!

That might change though, with things becoming more standard on the hardware side these days so something like the MT Framework Mobile can easily pump out multiplats if the user base is close, with that being said, that'd be even lesser of a reason for me to get something like a PSP2 if there are more multiplat games since I got the PSP for some PSP specific games and none of my game is a 1st party SONY game.

Since its quite likely that the difference in performance between the two will be quite large and they will use quite different control methods in some ways and many games will be designed to take advantage of the 3D screen in the 3DS it won't always be easy to port things even in some of the better case scenarios.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
dahuman said:
Squilliam said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Squilliam said:

Thanks!

Since its quite likely that the difference in performance between the two will be quite large and they will use quite different control methods in some ways and many games will be designed to take advantage of the 3D screen in the 3DS it won't always be easy to port things even in some of the better case scenarios.

Hence why I said in an earlier post that SONY needs at least a glassless 3D solution to compete with Nintendo, but some crazy dood doesn't understand how to foresee the future(not you, but you know who,) until I get some more news on the PSP2, I declare it DoA. The 3DS has a touch display screen, a 3D screen, motion detection, left analog that the press is praising as to being much superior than any PSP analog stick and that touch screen to act as another analog device for the right hand if required so, it's a very solid design and product, the most important thing is that I don't need to buy a protective casing like I did with both my PSPs, I just close the lid, which is something I've always liked better about the DS.

PS: also a 3D camera and a camer facing you, video conferencing on the go and games utilizing the cameras.

Squilliam said:
dahuman said:

Add to that the whole 2 screens thing, the touch (although the PSP2's rumored to have one on the back), the motion controls...etc - - - - - - Pretty much mostly what prevented most DS to PSP ports plus a few more

And let's not forget the whole *why bother* deal, if the 3DS sells a huge deal above PSP2 then most publishers won't see any point to it - - - - Though that's pretty much a worst case senario

Though I do see your point dahuman. It might mean more if the two handhelds were to have a closer install base (unlike DS vs PSP), I just don't see that happening either

Around the Network
Beuli2 said:
milkyjoe said:

Of course it has a great chance, it's obviously somehow going to be more powerful, and have a longer battery life, all while being cheaper.

In that scenario, it's a definite win for Sony.

You just forgot about the most important thing.

And that would be...?

Nintendo risks only if it kills DS too early: keeping it alive as entry level portable until 3DS will drop to cheap enough prices and future revisions will have better battery life and shorter recharging times, will allow, thanks also to 100% BC, a very smooth transition, with very high likelihood of leadership being kept.

The difference will be that Sony is the only competitor that, defying Ninty on portables, managed not only to survive, but profited too, and despite curiously repeating some obvious mistakes, it learns from most of them, so 3DS leadership will be less overwhelming than DS one.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Hrm... I'm not going to say one way or the other definitively, since there are too many unknowns in the equation. However, my gut is telling me that it won't happen. This is how I see things:

Pricing: The 3DS launch price will be between $250 and $300. The average 3DS game will go up to $40 retail, with a few games having what some have dubbed a "Square-Enix tax" trying for $50. I do not believe that the $50 games will do well, and those attempts will be short-lived, setting the base price at $40. The PSP2 I think is more shrouded in mystery, based on Sony's knowledge of the power of a price. I think they are waiting for Nintendo's official MSRP on the 3DS before finalizing the PSP2 specs, with the intent on selling the system at retail for the same price as the 3DS, and the wholesale being near cost, to get it to be more powerful than the 3DS. However, I do not think that PSP2 games will go up in price; they will remain at $40.

Battery: Nintendo has released figures for the 3DS, and given that they are in-line with what the DSi is officially stated at, I expect a similar rate for the 3DS. I think that the 2200 mAh battery that was an extra for the PSP will become standard in the PSP2, to try and bolster the battery life, addressing a PSP complaint. The UMD motor will mean that the battery for the PSP2 will still be less than the 3DS, but I do think that they will push download much more heavily, and that will give it a longer life than the 3DS.

Games: This is tough to guess. We have some of the games announced for the 3DS, and I do think that some of them will do quite well and drive the system. With no information on the PSP2 games, I can't predict on that. For new games, an argument can be made for both systems. The 3DS gives both the established brand and the ability to do 3D, whereas the PSP will have more power and Sony has shown that they are working much harder to curb piracy on the system, resulting in a larger percentage of its userbase purchasing. I actually think the biggest pusher for the PSP2 will be the ability to get PS2 games from PSN.

Marketshare: And we end with the hardest to guess. With my predicting price to be the same for both, that should be a non-issue. So we have games and brand to sell it, and I think Nintendo has both of these. For games, people know the Nintendo staples, and when they walk into a game store (or section), the DS dwarfs the PSP, driving perception that the DS has more games and will be more worth the money. I also think the much later launch of the PSP2 will hurt it, causing its marketshare to be below what the PSP was with the DS. (No, the PSP was not a failure; it is by far the most successful non-Nintendo handheld.) However, the failure to further penetrate the handheld market means that I think Sony will pull out of the portable market. Not for a lack of profitability, but as an attempt to better use their resources to push where they have more success- the PS3 and PS4.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

^^wow, great post

Best post in here in fact

- - - - a bit on the long side though

dahuman said:
Squilliam said:

Hence why I said in an earlier post that SONY needs at least a glassless 3D solution to compete with Nintendo, but some crazy dood doesn't understand how to foresee the future(not you, but you know who,) until I get some more news on the PSP2, I declare it DoA.  

Touch screen isn't compatible with glassless 3D from what I remember. Without a touch screen they're fucked compared to the touch based iOS and Android devices. Thats the problem if you've got the device in the middle, not as good as something like an iTouch for what it does nor as good as a 3DS in what it does.

Tease.