By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has a real chance of dethroning Nintendo 3DS

for the PSP 2 to dethrone the 3DS they would need to

1. Launch at a similar price as the 3DS (within $50)

2. Have the same or better battery life as the 3DS

3. Have a gimmick at least as good as glasses less 3D

4. Be at least 5 times as powerful as the PSP, to make sure that PSP owners feel like it's a worth while upgrade and 3DS owners see it as a more powerful machine and keep it more powerful than iPhones for a couple years.

5. And this is the most important launch with at least 3 entries in million selling franchises, the 3DS has Nintendogs cats, Super street fighter 4 and Professor Layton .

6. Games within a year of launch to match The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Rabbids Travel Time, Kid Icarus Uprising, Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater, Dead or Alive Dimensions.

7. A list of upcoming games to match Kingdom Hearts 3D, Mario Kart 3DS, Mega Man Legends 3, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario and Resident Evil: Revelations. opps forgot Time Travelers that game looks interesting and this list is likely to get a whole tone longer as I am sure that more games will be announced soon.

I totally forgot Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Squilliam said:
thismeintiel said:
Squilliam said:

Nintendo: All your developers are belong to me.

Sony: The PSP2 still does everything!

Nintendo: Except for?

Sony: The best games and 3D.

Seriously now, all the big developers for handhelds appear to be uber excited to develop for the 3DS. They would rather make games in a new way because at heart they are creative people rather than simply push a few more polygons, textures and shader effects. The number crunchers are supporting the creative people here as well, who would bet against the 3DS? Who would bet for the PSP2?

That's exactly right.  What was I thinking?  Once a 3rd party developer makes a game for one console, he must sitck with that console til the end of the gen. 

Seriously, ever hear of a multi-plat?

How many multiplat handheld games are there? How many of the top 50 handheld games are multiplatform? Not many from what I can tell, does that answer your question.

Nintendo: By the way, handheld games don't tend to become multiplatform.

Sony: Oh.

thismeintiel: And how many developers make games for both?

squilliam: Oh.

What are you talking about? You have to use real names or you're doing it wrong.

Apple: You're doing it wrong.

Sony: iDont get it.

Tease.

I agree with the OP that if Sony play their cards right this time, they can eat further market share. In addition to what was posted, I think the system will need to gain support in the US market (where it is currently getting trounced). They should get a good shooter on the system at launch :)

I still don't undertand why the 3DS launch is the "best launch line up for all time". Half the list are ports or remakes. So for the PSP2 to be successful sony  just needs to make ports for ps2 or ps1 games and it will be the best launch line up of all time too? Geez and I thought vgchartz dont dont enjoy the milking of franchises. From what I can tell in this thread most of you  love it!

Seriously though PSP2 and 3DS might be on similar grounds this time around. when the original psp launched it was priced over a $100 more than the DS. And it seems that under Kaz Hirai sony has become better at pricing- just look at PS3 slim.

SpartenOmega117 said:

I still don't undertand why the 3DS launch is the "best launch line up for all time". Half the list are ports or remakes. So for the PSP2 to be successful sony  just needs to make ports for ps2 or ps1 games and it will be the best launch line up of all time too? Geez and I thought vgchartz dont dont enjoy the milking of franchises. From what I can tell in this thread most of you  love it!

Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Tales of the Abyss, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D, Super Street Fighter IV 3D, Star Fox 64 and Zelda Ocarina of Time are the only ports and remakes in a list of 72 games. That's not half list, plus the launch titles  have only 1 port (Super Street Fighter IV)

And about the franchises, well just look at the top selling games in every console this generation people love milking franchises until the franchise is dried. (like Guitar Hero) 

Around the Network
alfredofroylan said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Tales of the Abyss, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D, Super Street Fighter IV 3D, Star Fox 64 and Zelda Ocarina of Time are the only ports and remakes in a list of 72 games. That's not half list, plus the launch titles  have only 1 port (Super Street Fighter IV)

And about the franchises, well just look at the top selling games in every console this generation people love milking franchises until the franchise is dried. (like Guitar Hero) 

There are more just look at all of nintendo's games lol

SpartenOmega117 said:

There are more just look at all of nintendo's games lol

None of them are remakes or ports, they're new entries; well with Animal Crossing is difficult to say because all of them are pretty much the same.

some Japanese launch titles for perspective (BTW I don't think the 3DS has the best line up ever but it's a very good one)

Gamecube

Luigi's Mansion

Wave Race: Blue Storm

Super Monkey Ball

Xbox 360

Every Party

FIFA '06: Road to FIFA World Cup

Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Perfect Dark Zero

Ridge Racer 6

Tetris: The Grandmaster Ace

Playstation 3

Genji: Days of the Blade

Mobile Suit Gundam: Target In Sight

Resistance: Fall of Man

Ridge Racer 7

Sega Golf Club

Wii

Crayon Shin-chan: Saikyou Kazoku Kasukabe King Wii

Elebits

Ennichi no Tatsujin

Kororinpa

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Machi-Kuru Domino

Necro-Nesia

Rayman Raving Rabbids

Red Steel

SD Gundam G Breaker

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz

Super Swing Golf

Tamagotchi: Party On!

Trauma Center: Second Opinion

WarioWare: Smooth Moves

Wii Play

Wii Sports

Wing Island

Nintendo DS

Daigasso! Band-Brothers

Chokkan Hitofude

Cool104 Joker & Setline

Feel the Magic: XY/XX

Kensyūi "Dokuta Tendo"

Mahjong Taikai

Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits

Pokémon Dash

Super Mario 64 DS

The Urbz: Sims in the City

Sawaru Made In Wario

Zoo Keeper

PSP

Armored Core: Formula Front

Mahjong Fight Club

Minna no Golf Portable

Lumines

Ridge Racers

Vampire Chronicle: The Chaos Tower

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

They have the chance, but I think they are even more stupid than Nintendo.

Above: still the best game of the year.

NO

PSWii