By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has a real chance of dethroning Nintendo 3DS

kurasakiichimaru said:
Galaki said:
kurasakiichimaru said:

That really depends on the price of PSP2, games at launch and the functions it has... PSP was a good device, it just so happen that it became a target of piracy even worse than DS.

Yup. There's no piracy on the DS at all

There is but it isn't that big as PSP...

Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association, CESA, revealed today the list of the most pirated PSP games, according to their data Dissidia: Final Fantasy was the most pirated game with 5,281,223 downloads.

These are the top pirated PSP games developed in Japan:

Dissidia: Final Fantasy

5,281,223 downloads worth 30,631 million yen ($335 million)

Phantasy Star Portable 2
4,665,510 downloads worth 22,394 million yen ($245 million)

Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce
2,072,942 downloads worth 9,950 million yen ($109 million)

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
1,820,282 downloads worth 8,322 million yen ($91 million)

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
1,223,881 downloads worth 7,098 million yen ($77 million)

Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam Next Plus
1,1187,341 downloads worth 7,100 million yen ($77 million)

Tales of the World Radiant Mythology 2
1,131,319 downloads worth 5,603 million yen ($61 million)

According to CESA, Pokémon Platinum was illegally downloaded 2,071,006 times causing a loss of US$103 million,  Pokemon: Diamond is in the second spot 1,862,899 downloads.

Here is the list of the top downloaded games:

Pokémon Platinum

2,071,006 Downloads worth ¥9.5 billion (US$103 million).

Pokémon Diamond

1,862,899 downloads

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
1,551,085 downloads worth 8,835 million yen ($97 million).

Mario Party DS
1,470,231 downloads worth  6,722 million yen ($74 million).

New Super Mario Bros.
1,455,577 downloads worth 6,655 million yen ($73 million).

Mario Kart
1,447,781 downloads worth 6,619 million yen ($72 million).

Pokemon: SoulSilver
1,129,469 worth 5,164 million yen ($56 million).

CESA reports a total of 19,347,668 downloads for the top twenty DS games and 86 billion yen ($941 million) in damages.

see?!?

wouldn't that make PSP sell better since people need the unit to play pirated games on?

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network
Strategyking92 said:

The DS phat did it, wii did it, the kinect did it, now the gimmick for the 3DS will bring it success as well. New technology like this sells, as long as it does a good enough job.

Why do you guys come with stuff that these gimicks are the major driving force that sold the hardware?

Above: still the best game of the year.

The 3DS is the successor to the most successful previous system (and most successful system of all time), with full support of third party publishers, will launch earlier and (probably) with a lower price ... In the history of gaming systems, I don't think there has ever been a system which has as much of an advantage as the 3DS has over the PSP2.

Now, the PSPs has a chance to dethrone the 3DS and I also have a chance of beating Usain Bolt in the 100m dash ... I'm pretty sure my chances are better than the PSP2's; after all, Usain Bolt could pull a hamstring 5 meters into the race.

HappySqurriel said:

The 3DS is the successor to the most successful previous system (and most successful system of all time), with full support of third party publishers, will launch earlier and (probably) with a lower price ... In the history of gaming systems, I don't think there has ever been a system which has as much of an advantage as the 3DS has over the PSP2.

Now, the PSPs has a chance to dethrone the 3DS and I also have a chance of beating Usain Bolt in the 100m dash ... I'm pretty sure my chances are better than the PSP2's; after all, Usain Bolt could pull a hamstring 5 meters into the race.

Of course that was the situation with the PS3 over the PS2 at the time of launch.  No one thought the Wii would do anything at the time they launched (PS3 / Wii).

Anything can happen in the world of video game consoles.  PSP2 probably won't dethrone the 3DS, but it isn't impossible.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

FinalEvangelion said:
HappySqurriel said:

Of course that was the situation with the PS3 over the PS2 at the time of launch.  No one thought the Wii would do anything at the time they launched (PS3 / Wii).

Anything can happen in the world of video game consoles.  PSP2 probably won't dethrone the 3DS, but it isn't impossible.

Except the PS3 launched after the Xbox 360 so it wasn't exactly first out of the gate and once they announced the price people did start to have some serious doubts about the PS3. It isn't quite a comparable scenario. Furthermore the PSP2 looks to be repeating what was a losing formula whereas the 3DS is merely augmenting a winning design with additional features and no mistakes which can be noted as of yet.

Tease.

Around the Network

I am siding with the psp2 simply because it seems that whenever something is supposed to destroy something else, it doesn't happen. Of course, if sony pulls another 2006, they will probably lose.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

The 3DS has impressed me so far with its fantastic graphics and I will get one. Not on launch though. Well i'll probably be getting one and selling it for over priced because of limited stock. However I am not a fan of 3D and could care less about it. I'll always have the option off.

Pokémon by itself ensures 3DS will utterly destroy PSP2. And that's not even taking into consideration Mario. 3DS could survive on those two franchises alone.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Dethrone? Never, take bigger market share than last time? Maybe, if they play their cards right. But for HC gamers 3DS looks like a valid platform, most HC gamers got a PSP over a DS, so imo this console is looking even more solid than the DS did.

FinalEvangelion said:
HappySqurriel said:

No, as Squilliam already pointed out, the PS3 did not release earlier than any of their competition and was significantly more expensive than their competition. To make the PS3 situation similar to the 3DS, imagine if Sony released the PS3 in 2005 at $400 with the XBox 360 releasing in 2006 at $500 or $600 (ignore the Wii for a moment) ...