By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS battery life is 3-to-5 hours for 3DS games

routsounmanman said:

You can't have it all; 3D, great graphics, low price AND huge battery life. Nintendo opted to sacrifice battery this time, and I think it's the right choice.

Not me. Battery life was a huge factor in ''every'' handheld they had.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
palancas7 said:
alfredofroylan said:

Dear me, guys read the whole thread. The 3-5 hours is only under certain circunstances like high bright, Wi Fi, full effects, etc. Please read all the thread and not only the title.

Some people only read what they want to read.

I think some can't read at all.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

alfredofroylan said:

Dear me, guys read the whole thread. The 3-5 hours is only under certain circunstances like high bright, Wi Fi, full effects, etc. Please read all the thread and not only the title.

That's not what it actually says, at least according to a google translation:

Nintendo 3DS approximately three hours to five hours if you play soft
Nintendo DS when you play our games for about 5 hours to 8 hours
The battery life varies depending on the brightness of the screen ※.
※ The approximate battery life. May be less depending on operating conditions.

In other words, this is not a "worst case" and could be lower depending on the conditions. And in fact on the DSi page they do not just list the worst case, they show a spectrum of cases. To me this sounds like battery life is going to be significantly worse than DSi.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

wow and everybody whas critizizing about the psp battery life that whas about 6 to 7 hours whahhaha 3 to 5 is even worse!

This is epic fail. 3DS is going to go the way of the Sega Game Gear.  Great handheld but ruined by the fact it cannot truly be used as a device on the go.  If battery technology was not ready for 3d graphics then Nintendo should have come up with some other gaming innovation for the DS successor.  However, it is not just 3D that is the issue here.  Even DS games do not last as long as they do on the DSi.  Which in turn was worse than the DS Lite.  I think Nintendo has lost the plot and forgotten what was probably the biggest factor in fighting off all its older hand held challengers.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
routsounmanman said:

You can't have it all; 3D, great graphics, low price AND huge battery life. Nintendo opted to sacrifice battery this time, and I think it's the right choice.

Not me. Battery life was a huge factor in ''every'' handheld they had.

I think it actually depends on the use of the handheld and the games you play on it. I mostly use my handhelds in my house (preferrably WC) to play huge, epic JRPGs like Etrial Odyssey or SMT. Thus, battery life is not of huge concern.

If you're a person that uses your DS on the bus, playing small in small constant bursts, I can understand your concerns. So, what will you do? Wait for a 3DSLite?

I know I'll be importing a Japanese device as soon as possible though, especially now that I've signed up for Japanese lessons

Damn, that's not a lot. Now we just need to know how at what settings it's running at...

EDIT: By the way, can you play on it when it's charging? I mean, with the cradle it might not be all that fun.

Eh, I'd rather wait for a 3DS Lite. The first year or so will be supply constrained and probably >$300 due to scarcity anyways. 

If that's true that's disappointing. I'd expect 5-8 hours, really.

The PSP is my favorite system of all time. So do you think that battery life is an issue for me?

IMO with headphones plugged in, and good backlight, I will probably easily get out 5 hours gameplay time from the 3DS. Thats more then enough for me

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!