By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS battery life is 3-to-5 hours for 3DS games

I blame the constant WiFi tag mode thing, hopefully you can turn that off...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

They better make the battery exchangable. I got like 5 batteries for my PSP. When one was over, I simply inserted a new one. Seeing that the DS battery was tied with screw, I doubt the battery will be exchangable, though. Sadly.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

alfredofroylan said:
Doobie_wop said:

Why would Nintendo place the battery life of it's maximum setting on their official site? That seems so weird. 

Have you seen the DSi battery life??:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/series/dsi/spec/index.html

Nintendo always play safe putting their systems under the worst scenario possible.

I'm sorry, but I can't see what your pointing out on the link. Are you referring to this:

Minimum luminance
Low brightness
Intensity of
High brightness
Maximum luminance
About 9 to 14 hours
Approximately 8 to 12 hours
Approximately 6 to 9 hours
About 4 to 6 hours
About 3 to 4 hours
Depends on the software used ※.

It also mentions all the other settings and battery life for the DSi, you can't really take that and compare it to a single stat for another device. It only shows that Nintendo could have listed the hours of battery life for the other settings, but they chose not to. Instead they put down 3 to 5 hours for 3DS play time and they mention it's for 'soft play', I don't see how the link you posted disputes that. I could be looking in the wrong place though or I'm just not understanding.

What do you think about the other points I made?

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Doobie_wop said:

I'm sorry, but I can't see what your pointing out on the link. Are you referring to this:

Basically the info is at the maximun settings, there's no way to know the battery life under normal circunstances rigt now but It'll be like the DSi if the info from the live blogs is true.

alfredofroylan said:
Doobie_wop said:

Basically the info is at the maximun settings, there's no way to know the battery life under normal circunstances rigt now but It'll be like the DSi if the info from the live blogs is true.

The problem is that we don't know if the battery life being shown is based on the max settings. It specifically mentions soft play, which I'm guessing means playing on lower settings. It also makes sense when you read Iwata's statement about how the 3DS is going to have to be charged more frequently and it's the reason why it's coming with a charging cradle. It also doesn't make any sense that they'd list the maximum settings, but then ignore the default or lower settings, even though they did that with the DSi.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:
alfredofroylan said:
Doobie_wop said:

Why would Nintendo place the battery life of it's maximum setting on their official site? That seems so weird. 

Nintendo always play safe putting their systems under the worst scenario possible.

Minimum luminance
Low brightness
Intensity of
High brightness
Maximum luminance
About 9 to 14 hours
About 4 to 6 hours
About 3 to 4 hours

It also mentions all the other settings and battery life for the DSi, you can't really take that and compare it to a single stat for another device. It only shows that Nintendo could have listed the hours of battery life for the other settings, but they chose not to. Instead they put down 3 to 5 hours for 3DS play time and they mention it's for 'soft play', I don't see how the link you posted disputes that. I could be looking in the wrong place though or I'm just not understanding.

Judging from your posts it really seems that you believe that's under low/normal conditions. Which probably means that at maximum settings it should last for about an hour, right?

palancas7 said:
Doobie_wop said:
alfredofroylan said:
Doobie_wop said:

Minimum luminance
Low brightness
Intensity of
High brightness
Maximum luminance
About 9 to 14 hours
About 4 to 6 hours
About 3 to 4 hours

Judging from your posts it really seems that you believe that's under low/normal conditions. Which probably means that at maximum settings it should last for about an hour, right?

Maximum could last about 2 hours and the lower settings could mean 5 - 6 hours. If you've owned a PSP or if you've gamed on an I-Phone, you'd know how common that kind of battery life is on portable gaming devices. 

Your also taking offence from my posts. Take into consideration that I've posted more links proving my point than anyone else has to disprove it and your ignoring them. I'm not attacking the 3DS, I'm just posting new and relevant information that people might like to discuss and should know about. I could be wrong, but I could also be right, I'm just using the information that we've currently got to come to a conclusion.

The most time the GBA SP ever needed charging was 3 hours. This is 3.5 hours.

Nintendo is just going worst-case scenario here. For the Micro, it had up to 5 hours of battery life with top brightness and sound or 8 hours with both features on default.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

It seems that some people still dont seem to understand. As long as it still has a decent battery life at its lowest settings then its all good(for me at least since I dont rev up my DS Lite like some do). Plus why should people even be bitching about this since nintendo's handhelds have always had great battery life.

Not to mention its still pretty amazing that a hanheld with so much power; as in being able display 3D, produce quality stero, have 3-4 brightness settings, with better graphics, and display two screens at once with said lighting settings, and still be able to stay on for 3- 5 hours (possibly under the highest settings) is fricken rediculous. I cant imagine how high its battery life will be under its modest/lowest settings.

Red4ADevil said:

It seems that some people still dont seem to understand. As long as it still has a decent battery life at its lowest settings then its all good(for me at least since I dont rev up my DS Lite like some do). Plus why should people even be bitching about this since nintendo's handhelds have always had great battery life.

Not to mention its still pretty amazing that a hanheld with so much power; as in being able display 3D, produce quality stero, have 3-4 brightness settings, with better graphics, and display two screens at once with said lighting settings, and still be able to stay on for 3- 5 hours (possibly under the highest settings) is fricken rediculous. I cant imagine how high its battery life will be under its modest/lowest settings.

Like someone already stated, people look at what they want to look it.

Also If they want to justify not getting the product due to battery life, they didn't want the product to begin with.