By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS battery life is 3-to-5 hours for 3DS games

well pretty sure this is the HIGHEST brightness, wifi going and all that jazz for 3-5 hours.  

I know that the DS can get WAY more life than what they say.  So im' not worried about the battery life.  I do hope they make the charger though be a USB thign so that it can work with others and not have to have a seperate one plugged in ONLY for this and need a new car charger if that.

The thing I"m more concerned about is the crappy launch.  I was SO going to get the 3DS on launch, but now i'm not.  Looks like I'm waiting for a bit till games ger released that i want

Around the Network

I would've paid an extra $10-20 to get a better battery life (ie. a higher capacity battery) :(

Though the 3.5h time to recharge seems to indicate a pretty high capacity battery already, so 3DS must be a HUGE battery hog from the looks of it

I hope something can be done to get a longer life (turn off wifi, buy higher capacity battery, extra batteries ...etc)

-   -   -   -

On the bright side, my laptop last less than half that period and I never have any problems getting work done on it - - - lowering brightness helps a lot too

ee that kinda rough

twesterm said:

3-5 hours?

Ew, that's horrible, that's barely enough for a flight. 

Barely enough for a flight?  A flight for me from Minnesota to Florida is like 3 1/2-4 hours alone.  Add in the time you are sitting in the airport, and you'll defiantly have a dead battery.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

3-5 hours is for when the 3d is turned on in gameplay, which takes more processing power.

If you want to look at 3d for more than a few hours, prepare for a pretty big headache. Otherwise just turn the 3d off and you'll probably get more life out of the batteries.

Another note: 3d movies should use less processing power than the games, so I see them as having a better lifespan.

DS games go up to 8 hours, so if you really want to use the thing all day, just play DS games.

My impression is that these ranges are for medium or high brightness settings.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:

best case for 3DS is around 3-5 hours

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/08/nintendo-3ds-good-for-only-3-to-8-hours-of-play-time-per-charge/

meaning = you will probably get 1.5 hours -2 hours if you have wifi and full effect one.

i guess nintendo really takes this 'casual gaming' seriously. Where are the people who constantly rant on PSP's battery life?

No rational person would think the 3DS would have a 1.5 hour batter life.

Stop spinning stuff please, kthanks.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Doobie_wop said:
puffy said:

Phat DS most certainly did not last 12 hours, try half that dude..

In terms of the 3DS, pretty pathetic battery life, shorter than I expected.. I guess now we know the reason why the cradle will be bundled with the hardware.

Really? Weird, I remember rarely charging my original DS and playing it heaps. It was so long ago, I've probably made a mistake then. 

Someone posted this on Neogaf:

DSi numbers.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/series/dsi/spec/index.html

Lowest brightness: 9 - 14 hours
It is low brightness: 8 - 12 hours
Medium brightness: 6 - 9 hours
High brightness : 4 - 6 hours
The highest brightness Approximately: 3 - 4 hours

The DSi apparently consumes more battery life than the DS Lite (according to some dude on Gaf) and I doubt Nintendo would be throwing around the maximum settings battery life for the 3DS, so in comparison to the DSi, it's getting out about half the life (based on the medium settings).

It's also pretty weird that it takes 3.5 hours to charge a console that only has 3 to 5 hours of game life. That's pretty extreme in comparison to other portable devices.

I don't know if the DSi Xl has different values, but even at maximum brightness, I get more than 7 hours per charge. Heck, I played all Golden Sun all afternoon from 3 to 7 and I still have half the battery.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Acevil said:
Rainbird said:

Damn, that's not a lot. Now we just need to know how at what settings it's running at...

EDIT: By the way, can you play on it when it's charging? I mean, with the cradle it might not be all that fun.

With the DS you can, so you should be able to. 

Also Nyang, like people said before, people see what they want to see. 

I meant with regards to the cradle and whether you can really control the 3DS when it's in it. Will it still be a good experience playing on the 3DS when it's in the cradle?

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/83392/nintendo-3ds-box-art-revealed-complete-contents-listed/

Well at least it also has a proper AC adaptor for those who don't like the stand.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Rainbird said:
Acevil said:
Rainbird said:

Damn, that's not a lot. Now we just need to know how at what settings it's running at...

EDIT: By the way, can you play on it when it's charging? I mean, with the cradle it might not be all that fun.

With the DS you can, so you should be able to. 

Also Nyang, like people said before, people see what they want to see. 

I meant with regards to the cradle and whether you can really control the 3DS when it's in it. Will it still be a good experience playing on the 3DS when it's in the cradle?

The person below you stated you would get a normal adapter....but if you really want to try on the cradle...be my guess.