By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The ultimate fall of Rare

Squilliam said:
optoma1990 said:

Nintendo, EA, Capcom, Natsume, Taito, Square, Konami, Blizzard, Activision, Hudson, Disney, Lucasarts....

Most of those are big publishing houses, not companies.

Effectively 80% of great developers probably still aren't even operational from those days. The remainder aren't anywhere near their former glory. There are very few exceptions.

I guess so, but all wanted to point out was that nintendo shouldn't get all the blame for selling Rare since MS had the bigger half.

Around the Network

I LOVE ICELAND!

AussieGecko said:
Scoobes said:

Do Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Too Human and Eternal Darkness ring any bells?

Yup all Tom Raider I will give you credit for and I see you havent played Too Human o.0

Crystal Dynamics is the studio responsible for all the recent Tomb Raider/Lara Croft (Legend, Anniverssary, Underworld, Guardian of Darkness) games and previously worked on Legacy of Kain titles and Pandemonium 2.

Silicon Knights did the first Legacy of Kain game (Blood Omen) on PS1. Last gen they did an Eternal Darkness game on Gamecube and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. This gen they've done Too Human (and were supposedly doing the sequels). They are apparently working on an X-men game and a game with Sega.

I'm suprised you haven't heard of the latter. Dennis Dyack (the president of SK) was always in the gaming news leading up to the release of Too Human.

Yeah honestly reallly wasnt questioning. Just had never heard of them haha.

Yeah, I haven't played Too Human. I mainly like them because they did the original Legacy of Kain (really want that franchise revisited). I included them because they were always in the gaming press prior to Too Human. Either way, I think the studio is capable of good things.

HappySqurriel said:

Not to minimize the value of talent or technological advantages, but the reasons why Rare was able to consistently produce some of the best games back then is the same reason why certain developers today can consistently produce some of the best games today; Rare had excellent access to resources and was very well managed. Most developers who struggle to get games to market have just as many really talented people as some of the best developers, but their inability to get the resources to put the extra effort in (or those resources being directed towards the wrong things) makes the difference between an excellent and a mediocre game.

While most of this management was probably internal, some of the creative management of many of Rare`s most popular projects was from Nintendo; and when Rare was sold, lost many/most of their best internal managers, and their connection to Nintendo they could simply not produce the products they once did.

I somewhat disagree  and agree at the same time...

I may get blasted for this but Rare really wasn't as great as people make them out to be...AT FIRST.

I mean Donkey Kong Country minus mindblowing graphics is an inferior 16 bit Sonic knock off. Ken Griffeys Baseball was rediculously flawed in terms of gameplay balance, as was Killer Instinct. They all had one thing in common though, they looked amazing and better than what anyone else was doing at the time...

They came in to their full stride on N64 and released 5-6 really amazing titles. It was one of those...meant to be moments for Rare. Circumstance and role at nintendo, technology, talent, right people, right games... made them legendary developers from 1996-2001. I think it was a lot more than just nitnendo's guidence that got them this success.

So I agree that they had all the right stuff for a while, but things weren't always perfect for rare pre microsoft...

My favorite Rare game to be honest is Battletoads lol. That game is sheer madness.

Kameo Elements of Power, Viva Pinata, Viva Pinata TIP, Kinect Sports, and even Perfect Dark Zero (At the time) are all solid games.

The only diappointment I have had with Rare this generation is the Banjo & Kazooie Nuts and Bolts game.  Everything else have been very solid titles. 

I like what they are doing with the XBox dashboard and other Kinect things.  This work will pay off in later games.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Squilliam said:
optoma1990 said:

Nintendo, EA, Capcom, Natsume, Taito, Square, Konami, Blizzard, Activision, Hudson, Disney, Lucasarts....

Indeed... not to mention that Taito, Hudson, Disney were not great in the Snes days, let alone today. Activision wasn't that hot back then either.

If optoma knew what he was talking about he would reply with

Psygnosis, Treasure, DMA design(Rockstar), Nintendo first party...not much else comes to mind tobe honest.

ID, Bethesda and Epic maybe? That makes seven. 

Scoobes said:
disolitude said:
Squilliam said:
optoma1990 said:

Indeed... not to mention that Taito, Hudson, Disney were not great in the Snes days, let alone today. Activision wasn't that hot back then either.

Psygnosis, Treasure, DMA design(Rockstar), Nintendo first party...not much else comes to mind tobe honest.

Epic was around but I wouldn't call them great pre Unreal lol.

ID for sure, forgot abnout them.

Bethesda I don't know anything about to be honest. What did they do back then?

Scoobes said:
disolitude said:
Squilliam said:
optoma1990 said:

Nah, Epic has Fallen. Last Jazz Jackrabbit game was ages ago.

I LOVE ICELAND!

AussieGecko said:

No the OP said they have fallen, they clearly havent. They dont have Nintendo's IP's to work with so they have to start again which they have been doing.

Legendary games they used to make that they cant legally now

Donkey Kong

Golden Eye (of any time)

Game they wanted to change becasue they believed it has gotten stale

Banjo Kazooie.

AND STOP DOUBLE ENTERING

Kinect Sports is a big hitter for mine, Kinect is a big hitter for mine, NXE (changed the whole set-up) is something a big hitter would do.

Failing to see your argument.

you don't seem to get what the person is trying to say as you did in the other thread

and don't accuse other of double entering or whatever for your own fault

and what sort of statements you make,huh?

"No the OP said they have fallen, they clearly havent"

then you give the lame reasoning,and instead of pointing towards any of the strenghts(which i can't blame you as they don't have many left),you reason that comment above with 'they don't own the ip's and thats why they make nowhere near the legendary stuff they used to make'.you yourself are saying in a sense that they have fallen

and there is no argument

Kinect Sports and NXE and avatar are not big hitters,they are just support softwares

you say they can't do those legendary games as they belong to nintendo,you try to make your reasoning seem like goodie goodie but it fails horribly

you are talking as if RARE are newborn babies and that they can't create any new games or ip.they did this with nintendo.

KungKras said:

They still had their own IP from that time and they released some horrible sequels. They made the wrong decision about Banjo. A new great platformer wouldn't have been stale, in fact it would have filled a hole in the 360 library. Really bad desicion making from new Rare.

The main argument is that their game output is worse, which it really is, there is no way you can deny that.

Another thing you seem to be ignoring is that there are almost none of the original talent left.

How is that not fallen?

Banjo Kazooie as a new platformer by itself Rare (this is imo but i remember reading something about it) thought that Banjo in its current form was stale. So they added cars.

Game output is not necessarily worse, they have different weapons they have to get used to, they cant simply make a game to the quality of Donkey Kong through another game, because Donkey Kong, part of the reason people loved it is because people knew the characters. If it was Eddie Gorilla  64 I cant imagine people talking about the game in the same vain. Dunno just a though.

Viva Pinata is a great new franchise if you have played it. But I am just rapt with what they are doing with Kinect, if they did this avatar kinect thing, what that was worth the purchase there. That thing looks like it could be massive. But this is where the problem lies, the things they have done this gen could have gone either way. 

Yes they did Banjo Nuts and Bolts wrong, but if they did that with less annoying manipulation (which is why i got bored with it) it could have done a lot better imo.

Their lead designer is now the CEO, it depends what original talent you are talking about. 

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752