By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The ultimate fall of Rare

The once great studio, who developped Donkey Kong Country, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Banjo&Kazooie and who had fallen to the point of being sold by Nintendo to Microsoft, went on to developp good/average games.

But now it's even lower,  they did Kinect Sport who was poorly received (it's way inferior to Wii Sport Resort) as one of the worst Kinect related product and now are doing "Avatar" for Kinect, which is absolutely non related to gaming and lame in its concept.

With almost all of the former employees having left the boat (is there one people in rare now who was in the 64 era? I doubt it) and the current things the studio is working on, we can already say that the studio is dead as a good developper as it has been the case for a long time.

Around the Network

you expected kinect sports to be better than Wii sports,the original concept always remain the best most of the time

although Rare has fallen.

but you really shouldn't feel bad as most of Rare's old employees have left Rare.

KInect Sports was poorly received? The meta score is just a few points less than Wii Sports Resort. Its also selling pretty damn well.

Outside of the original DKC and KI, Rare has always been mediocre to me and most of their games aged horribly.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

snakenobi said:

although Rare has fallen.

but you really shouldn't feel bad as most of Rare's old employees have left Rare.

This. Honestly, the Rare name should just be forgotten.

Um troll...

Seriously get over it. They are doing soooooooo much more now then they did just developing games. If anything Rare has risen.

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

KInect Sports was poorly received? The meta score is just a few points less than Wii Sports Resort. Its also selling pretty damn well.

Outside of the original DKC and KI, Rare has always been mediocre to me and most of their games aged horribly.

I disagree on two points,

First, I still love most of their old games (Especially Blast Corps and the original Banjo Kazooie). In fact I feel Rare's games are some of the best aged games from the era, and only really consider certain RPGs (Wild Arms, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior 7, etc...) and the Zelda titles to be better aged.

Second, I feel Killer Instinct is their worst aged game on SNES, and KI Gold is their worst aged game on N64.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Hilarious title - very clever !

trollol

So Avatar Kinect is lame. Great you already used it!

Kinect Sports will easily sell 5 millions. It sold 2 million in 60 days on a brand new "system". And if the undertracking for Kinect hardware is an indication for the software, it might even be near 3 million.

It will outsell Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Kazooie, maybe even combined.

Rare did the sooooo underrated Kameo, which is one of the best adventure/fantasy games I have played this gen.

Let's be honest here, Rare saved Nintendo during the N64 generation. I loved their games back then and I love them today. All of their games this gen, maybe except Kinect Sports, are unique. Viva Pinata, Banjo Kazooie Nuts n Bolts, Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo all played differently to the games before IMO.

And all of the games are low-budget titles. Look, back then Rare made high-budget games for the N64, maybe even with the highest budgets for the N64. Look at their games today. There is no game with a 20 million budget from Rare. People tend to forget this.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Judging by your recent posts you haven't even touched a 360, so you already don't have any credibility. Second you got a huge fact wrong in your first paragraph. Third they also worked on NXE, Rare is a huge studio[s]. Fourth your mother.

The Rare Defense Force is back! You gotta step up your trolling

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Jumpin said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I disagree on two points,

First, I still love most of their old games (Especially Blast Corps and the original Banjo Kazooie). In fact I feel Rare's games are some of the best aged games from the era, and only really consider certain RPGs (Wild Arms, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior 7, etc...) and the Zelda titles to be better aged.

Second, I feel Killer Instinct is their worst aged game on SNES, and KI Gold is their worst aged game on N64.

I'm willing to agree Rare's games aged better than a lot games of that era. Specifically genres that Rare was known for like FPS and 3D platformers. However, I never found their titles impressive and I didn't really enjoy those genres until the next gen.

You're talking about the KI ports and I had the Arcade games in mind.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)