By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: Every Kinect we make we sell

Oh yeah well I was in Malta and I stumbled upon an entire secret warehouse full of Kinects....

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

Yeah I agree with BenVTrigger, no chance there is 1 million sitting on shelves.

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

BenVTrigger said:

Its 7 million to consumer for sure at least.  There ARE NOT 1 million Kinects sitting on store shelves.  Not even close to it.

1 Million on shelves is probably a very likely number for something that just previously sold over 900k units in a single week.

How can VGchartz be so off with Kinect if this is sold-to-consumer?Even if it would be shipped,I don't believe there are so many kinects on shelves.Probably we don't know something...something vital,I guess we'll find out in the future.Leaving that out,big KUDOS to Microsoft,showing everyone how to advert/sell a product...NICE!

Or this can be a PR lie. It isn't hard to twist facts on your favor.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network
ArnoldRimmer said:

If Microsoft is saying that sell-thru sales have have surpassed 5 millions than the number is most probably somewhere between 5 and 6 million, which sounds reasonable.

@BenVTrigger: Your impression that there are not one million Kinects sitting on store shelves is because you're probably from the USA, where Kinect is indeed selling very very well. But don't forget that there are 192 other countries in the world where Kinect is not such a big success. Just yesterday for example I was in my country's biggest electronics store chain. Already in front of the store there was a huge Kinect advertisement, about 6x4 meters large. And in the games section, the store had prepared a huge area where people could try out Kinect and there was even some Kinect marketing guy asking customers walking by to give it a try. They even had a big TV-advertised sale where they offered the Kinect bundle for just 122 Euros instead of the official 149 Euros. But it just didn't help: Within the whole 45 minutes that I spent in the games section, there wasn't a single person taking one of the Kinect bundles that were piling up meters high. In the same time however, at least two people bought PS Move PS3 bundles and just like the last three times I was there, the shop didn't have even a single PS Move starter pack or standalone Move controller.

Don't get me wrong, my message is not "Look how bad Kinect and how great PS Move sells"! I only want to demonstrate that anecdotical evidence/personal experience can easily give you a wrong impression when it comes to worldwide sales. While Kinect probably really has a 90% sell-thru rate in the USA, the situation is quite different in other countries.

No my impressions are because I work in Gaming retail at a fairly high level and see daily numbers.  And theres not 1 million Kinects on store shelves, period.  Unless its counting Kinects in transit in which there may be a chance that it does but 7 million sounds reasonable to me.

Carl2291 said:
BenVTrigger said:

Its 7 million to consumer for sure at least.  There ARE NOT 1 million Kinects sitting on store shelves.  Not even close to it.

1 Million on shelves is probably a very likely number for something that just previously sold over 900k units in a single week.

Your right but thats Kinects selling as soon as they reach retailer which is the case.  Thus 7 million sold soon to be 8 once those Kinects reach retailers and sell within the week or so.  Not 1  million just sitting on shelves.  My point is its very close the sell through number just as Greenburg stated.

BenVTrigger said:
Carl2291 said:

Your right but thats Kinects selling as soon as they reach retailer which is the case.  Thus 7 million sold soon to be 8 once those Kinects reach retailers and sell within the week or so.  Not 1  million just sitting on shelves.  My point is its very close the sell through number just as Greenburg stated.

Yeah sure.....Greenburg, the fountain of truth.... and once again USA = the Wold....

Look, simple observation in the EUROPEAN town I live:

Mediamarkt 1: approx 40-50 Kinect bundles in shop, approx 20-30 Kinects in shop throughout Xmas

Mediamarkt 2: ditto

Saturn: ditto

(these shops account for approx. 55% of the market)

Interdiscount (approx 30% of the market): approx 15-20 bundles, 10 Kinects

there are/were _at least_ around 250 Kinects in the town at all times.

Upscaling to Switzerland gives about a stock of 2000-2500 Kinects in stores at all times

Upscaling to Europe gives about 600'000-1'000'000 Kinects in stores at all times.

(and if you ask about move bundles and single move units, shops here get a box of around 10-20 "things" every week, they last about two days before they are gone).

Accounting for units currently in transit, there are very likely 1 mio Kinect units not yet sold for Europe alone at all times.

drkohler said:
BenVTrigger said:
Carl2291 said:

Yeah sure.....Greenburg, the fountain of truth.... and once again USA = the Wold....

Look, simple observation in the EUROPEAN town I live:

Mediamarkt 1: approx 40-50 Kinect bundles in shop, approx 20-30 Kinects in shop throughout Xmas

Mediamarkt 2: ditto

Saturn: ditto

(these shops account for approx. 55% of the market)

Interdiscount (approx 30% of the market): approx 15-20 bundles, 10 Kinects

there are/were _at least_ around 250 Kinects in the town at all times.

Upscaling to Switzerland gives about a stock of 2000-2500 Kinects in stores at all times

Upscaling to Europe gives about 600'000-1'000'000 Kinects in stores at all times.

(and if you ask about move bundles and single move units, shops here get a box of around 10-20 "things" every week, they last about two days before they are gone).

Accounting for units currently in transit, there are very likely 1 mio Kinect units not yet sold for Europe alone at all times.

Unfortunately for you I was spot on with my prediction last night and VgChartz has updated their numbers and made my prediction literally exactly right.  7 million Kinects sold to consumer.  Thanks.

Kinect Adventures! Sales (Xbox360) Sales History (Launches Aligned)

Summary of weekly unit sales from launch broken down by region (for first 10 weeks of sale)

WeekAmericasJapanEMEAAWorldwideRunning Total
1 580,021 21,384 333,072 934,477 934,477
2 310,553 9,855 164,162 484,570 1,419,047
3 265,061 10,711 187,259 463,031 1,882,078
4 688,171 12,574 213,392 914,137 2,796,215
5 423,290 14,102 271,553 708,945 3,505,160
6 514,979 15,214 340,913 871,106 4,376,266
7 668,124 N/A 445,024 1,113,148 5,489,414
8 847,472 N/A 314,460 1,161,932 6,651,346
9 506,483 N/A N/A 506,483 7,157,829
Ten Week Totals:4,804,15483,8402,269,8357,157,829 
Lifetime Totals:4,804,15483,8402,269,8357,157,829 

I just went to best buy and there were huge stacks of Kinects available in both bundled and stand-alone versions, so I'm not too sure about this statement. Can anybody else confirm what they see at their local stores? I know the stand-alone version was sold out during the holidays, but now there's plenty of stock out of nowhere.