By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resistance 2 vs Halo Reach [Lens of Truth]

What can I say?  The "console war" brings site hits.  It's a proven fact.*

*I can prove nothing.

Around the Network
huaxiong90 said:
d21lewis said:

I watched it on youtube just now.  Man, the comments there.....I ran back to VGChartz!  At least there's some law and order, here!!

Heh, tell me about it.

"SYSTEM WARS! Keep the sweet sweet Xcock 3shitty fagboy tears running :D SO many fag 360 fagboys crying in that thread. Waltefmoney is a cock sucking cum dumpster 360 fagboy who needs to stop sucking dick, it's messing with his ability to reason."

Underlined: How incredibly ironic.

Wow... just wow...

OT: as I recall neither games where touted as the biggest system pushers. Both looked great in previews, but IMO both underdelivered a bit. Comparing the two is pointless, as many stated before me, but its just for funs sake

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

It's sorta odd to compare the two, I know they're exclusives and they like to put exclusive vs exclusive but they're not even close to the same in style, tech, or what they do.  Resistance is pretty dark a drab, while Halo has more vegetation and earthy colors (honestly making it look more real than some hokey WWII flashback your grandpa has where everything was black, white, brown, and grey)

The tech of Resistance has always been at the forefront with those games, I remember when they showed off the original and talked about how the PS3 could calculate the shrapnel coming off a grenade, why is this needed to make a good game? It's not and is probably why the series isn't that fun : 

Then finally you have what the games do, R2 is a pretty color by numbers singleplayer FPS with online co-op to make it a bit more entertaining with standard online multiplayer, Halo Reach you have a 4 player online and local co-op , on top of that local and online multiplayer, system link, custom map making, sharing data, taking pictures and video, custom game modes, and extra content to download like new map packs to add to the already good list of maps... Yeah I don't see how these two compare at all, even if you want to get into the graphics mess, it honestly boils down to preference since you can have a SNES game look and run better than tripe like say Terminator Salvation, is it better on a technology front? Hell no but it doesn't look like crap lol

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

The AI was complete garbage in R2.  So that by itself makes it fall short of Reach.

I actually liked the atmosphere in both R1 and R2 and enjoyed both games, it just killed me how bad they AI really was.  

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

Im speechless LOL

Around the Network

Well this has certainly turned out for the worst...

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

MaxwellGT2000 said:

It's sorta odd to compare the two, I know they're exclusives and they like to put exclusive vs exclusive but they're not even close to the same in style, tech, or what they do.  Resistance is pretty dark a drab, while Halo has more vegetation and earthy colors (honestly making it look more real than some hokey WWII flashback your grandpa has where everything was black, white, brown, and grey)

The tech of Resistance has always been at the forefront with those games, I remember when they showed off the original and talked about how the PS3 could calculate the shrapnel coming off a grenade, why is this needed to make a good game? It's not and is probably why the series isn't that fun : 

Then finally you have what the games do, R2 is a pretty color by numbers singleplayer FPS with online co-op to make it a bit more entertaining with standard online multiplayer, Halo Reach you have a 4 player online and local co-op , on top of that local and online multiplayer, system link, custom map making, sharing data, taking pictures and video, custom game modes, and extra content to download like new map packs to add to the already good list of maps... Yeah I don't see how these two compare at all, even if you want to get into the graphics mess, it honestly boils down to preference since you can have a SNES game look and run better than tripe like say Terminator Salvation, is it better on a technology front? Hell no but it doesn't look like crap lol

It actually makes sense as a comparison to me.  Colour schemes, etc. are all art direction.  R2 and Reach are two FPS that share common themes technically:

• First person 3D rendering engine
  • large levels compared to most FPS and much more open levels in many cases
  • levels with a lot of vegetation, trees, etc. plus structures
  • large numbers of enemies with a lot of on-screen activity
  • high amount of explosions, particles, etc.
  • similar rendering resolution (Reach a little lower)
  • similar AA level
  • similar fps (as in frames per second)
  • custom engine designed purely for their respective console vs a middleware engine

As FPS go they're pretty similar technically, certainly more similar than a more linear FPS or a smaller level based FPS. 

I don't get why you and so many are commenting on gameplay or AI or whatever... the comparison was technical rendering only and is valid within that.  It's not saying one is better than the other from a gameplay, art direction or whatever just that, perhaps somewhat surprisingly, the R2 engine is comparable and even superior (in technical rendering terms) in a number of areas, such as rendering resolution (native), fps and amount of screen tear.

This is all factual stuff. R2 doesn't have screen tear that I've ever noticed, Reach does.  There's no room for opinions in these areas of comparison.  Either they have the same rendering resolution or one has a higher resolution, either they have the same level of AA or one has better AA.

AI isn't subjective either and Reach, for eaxmple, definately has better AI that R2.  But that's nothing to do with visual rendering.

Gameplay, art direction, etc are subjective of course, but resolutions, AA levels, HDR, etc. aren't.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

resistance 3 has broken away from insomniacs usual dev cycle. im expecting resistance 3 to be a killer game

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Halo Reach does look slightly better then Resistance 2, especially considering Halo Reach looks much better then what i'm seeing in that video...same could be for Resistance too though but I haven't played it so I'm not sure.