By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resistance 2 vs Halo Reach [Lens of Truth]

Doobie_wop said:
binary solo said:

What's the point of this comparison? If it's visually best exclusive FPS showdown then why isn't it KZ2 vs Halo: Reach? I'm assuming Halo: Reach is the visually best exclusive FPS on 360, maybe I'm wrong.

Besides I always thought Halo was about the gameplay and Bungie never tried to max out the visuals.

Seems like a comparison with no real point to it.

It's just for fun. It's interesting to see games pitted against each other randomly and just like the Uncharted 1 vs Enslaved comparison, it's a pretty interesting topic. 

Also, Halo: Reach isn't the best looking FPS on the 360, it's performance suffers at some points and it's visuals are far more about art style than it is tech. 

They also specifically mentioned in the article that Killzone 2 would be a pointless comparison, because everyone's already analysed the game and it hasn't got much competition. They felt that Resistance deserves a go and so they pitted it against a comparable game.

Resistance 2 was never touted as a visual powerhouse, neither was Halo: Reach, it's just for fun and it's just as much about performance, than it is visuals. This isn't a competition about which is the better game, just which is the better running and looking game.

Bungie have always put gameplay first, but with Reach they wanted a new engine and with that new engine they introduced new tech.

Around the Network

Well, in my opinion Halo Reach had better textures at some places whereas Resistance 2 had better lighting effects in many places.

But it was pretty interesting to see this comparison. I thought resistance 2 looked really bad before but now I don't think so any more. But I still prefer Resistance 1 over 2.

I was expecting an easy win for Halo: Reach...frankly, Resistance 2 holds up way better than I thought (been two years since I played it).

Too bad Resistance 2 disappointed me completely...then again, Reach's MP wasn't all that great either.

Can't wait to see how Resistance 3'll look.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Doobie_wop said:
binary solo said:

What's the point of this comparison? If it's visually best exclusive FPS showdown then why isn't it KZ2 vs Halo: Reach? I'm assuming Halo: Reach is the visually best exclusive FPS on 360, maybe I'm wrong.

Besides I always thought Halo was about the gameplay and Bungie never tried to max out the visuals.

They also specifically mentioned in the article that Killzone 2 would be a pointless comparison, because everyone's already analysed the game and it hasn't got much competition. They felt that Resistance deserves a go and so they pitted it against a comparable game.

Resistance 2 was never touted as a visual powerhouse, neither was Halo: Reach, it's just for fun and it's just as much about performance, than it is visuals. This isn't a competition about which is the better game, just which is the better running and looking game.

You sir are a lier.

Lens Of Truth: We felt once Killzone 2 was announced Insomniacs Resistance series kinda fell off the radar, and Killzone 2 took the spotlight as the PlayStation 3’s top exclusive First Person Shooter. Furthermore, Resistance 1 or 2 has never had an performance analysis done on either one of them, so we were really interested to see how Insomniac has grasped the PlayStation 3 architecture thus far.

For the record Resistance 2 was touted as a visual powerhouse and was put head to head against Gears 2 many times  by it's fans and gaming sites.

huaxiong90 said:

I was expecting an easy win for Halo: Reach...frankly, Resistance 2 holds up way better than I thought (been two years since I played it).

Too bad Resistance 2 disappointed me completely...then again, Reach's MP wasn't all that great either.

Can't wait to see how Resistance 3'll look.

Resistance 2 was a rush job and it seems it still looks and performs better than Reach. Resistance 3 will probably be a beast.

Around the Network
Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:
binary solo said:

You sir are a lier.

Lens Of Truth: We felt once Killzone 2 was announced Insomniacs Resistance series kinda fell off the radar, and Killzone 2 took the spotlight as the PlayStation 3’s top exclusive First Person Shooter. Furthermore, Resistance 1 or 2 has never had an performance analysis done on either one of them, so we were really interested to see how Insomniac has grasped the PlayStation 3 architecture thus far.

For the record Resistance 2 was touted as a visual powerhouse and was put head to head against Gears 2 many times  by it's fans and gaming sites.

Yes, I mentioned that part, but the writer was answering questions in the comments as well.

Resistance 2 was not touted as a visual powerhouse by the majority. Just because a few select fans said it, it doesn't mean that they represent the majority. It'd be like me saying that 360 fans were touting Mass Effect 2 and Halo: Reach as visual powerhouses, just because a few members on this site said so, when I obviously know that most people didn't feel that way. 

You seem to be taking this personally for some reason, I've already mentioned that it's an interesting  topic made  for some random fun conversation, but your treating it like some sort of console war thing and I'm really not feeling it.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:
Nsanity said:

Resistance did perform little better in that video ,but Tech wise Halo Reach wins.

How did you come to that conclusion? .

Levels are larger in Reach and lot more detailed, full 3D skybox's and explosions also seem to be running at much higher resolution the list goes on  http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-halo-reach-tech-analysis-article

Much higher resolution than Halo 3... Reach runs on 1152x720 which still is lower than Resistance's 2 1280x720. Can't really see how is that technically better. Even framerate and v-sync is better on Re2...

Anyways I'm surprised by Re2 performance. Insomniac is cleary a better developer than I thought. Reach wins in some textures and draw distance but that's it. Lighting is like comparing low to high settings on a PC game favoring Re2...

Oh, and I will also give Reach that beatiful fog at distance on the first levels.

Pointless comparison is pointless.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

haxxiy said:
Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:
Nsanity said:

Resistance did perform little better in that video ,but Tech wise Halo Reach wins.

How did you come to that conclusion? .

Levels are larger in Reach and lot more detailed, full 3D skybox's and explosions also seem to be running at much higher resolution the list goes on  http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-halo-reach-tech-analysis-article

Much higher resolution than Halo 3... Reach runs on 1152x720 which still is lower than Resistance's 2 1280x720. Can't really see how is that technically better. Even framerate and v-sync is better on Re2...

Anyways I'm surprised by Re2 performance. Insomniac is cleary a better developer than I thought. Reach wins in some textures and draw distance but that's it. Lighting is like comparing low to v-high settings on a PC game.

Halo Reach native resolution may be only short 128 pixels short of 1280x720P, but makes up for it with full native rendering resolution explosions.

Interesting comparison.  I wasn't surprised that on pure resolution/frame rate really.  Insomniac are pretty capable technically and have a good record of no screen tearing, solid engines going back to PS2.

Bungie are I would argue equally capabale but - a little oddly I thought - they pushed Reach balance between performance/frame rate a little further with the result there is some tearing and frame rate drops (tiny amounts mind you) which has been noted in numerous analysis including DF.  It's not much, but it's there.

Reach though looks more polished overall I believe, as is clear from many segments of the video.  Resistance 2 looked amazing at times, and featured big levels with lots of enemies, but it could also look poor as well due to lack of polish.  Playing it you kind of went from wow to hmm.  In quite a few spots there was literaly the feeling final detail work on that part of the level hadn't been fully completed.

Overall pure performance seemed close though, with Resistance 2 just edging it due to no tearing, etc. but nonethelss that doesn't mean it looks better in a consistent way.  I think the AA in Reach was a little better though in terms of implementation - but hopefully Insonmniac are looking at using the more recent techniques developed for AA on PS3.

I am very curious to see just how well Resistance 3 performs as I understand Insomniac have finally increased their development time and I'm expecting a similar, rock solid engine / frame rate a'la Resistance 2 but much better level of polish throughout, really showing what Insomniac are capable of.

Really though, you're talking about two solid developers producing two very solid exclusive engines.  Neither I think is seen as a developer that pushes the envelope with visuals, but I think both tend to show a good balance to performance vs visual rendering vs the developers who push things to the extent a lot of tear, etc. is present.

Due to their smaller sales/market presence Insomniac's solid technical capabilities tend to be overlooked I find, while conversely, due to the success of Halo, unrealistic expectations are often heaped on Bungie technically, despite the fact no Bungie title has ever been a true envelope pusher technically (not that they're slouches by any means, but they're focused on gameplay and overall balance as it should be vs trying to push things technically just for its own sake).

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...