By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resistance 2 vs Halo Reach [Lens of Truth]

Reasonable said:

Interesting comparison.  I wasn't surprised that on pure resolution/frame rate really.  Insomniac are pretty capable technically and have a good record of no screen tearing, solid engines going back to PS2.

Bungie are I would argue equally capabale but - a little oddly I thought - they pushed Reach balance between performance/frame rate a little further with the result there is some tearing and frame rate drops (tiny amounts mind you) which has been noted in numerous analysis including DF.  It's not much, but it's there.

Reach though looks more polished overall I believe, as is clear from many segments of the video.  Resistance 2 looked amazing at times, and featured big levels with lots of enemies, but it could also look poor as well due to lack of polish.  Playing it you kind of went from wow to hmm.  In quite a few spots there was literaly the feeling final detail work on that part of the level hadn't been fully completed.

Overall pure performance seemed close though, with Resistance 2 just edging it due to no tearing, etc. but nonethelss that doesn't mean it looks better in a consistent way.  I think the AA in Reach was a little better though in terms of implementation - but hopefully Insonmniac are looking at using the more recent techniques developed for AA on PS3.

I am very curious to see just how well Resistance 3 performs as I understand Insomniac have finally increased their development time and I'm expecting a similar, rock solid engine / frame rate a'la Resistance 2 but much better level of polish throughout, really showing what Insomniac are capable of.

Really though, you're talking about two solid developers producing two very solid exclusive engines.  Neither I think is seen as a developer that pushes the envelope with visuals, but I think both tend to show a good balance to performance vs visual rendering vs the developers who push things to the extent a lot of tear, etc. is present.

Due to their smaller sales/market presence Insomniac's solid technical capabilities tend to be overlooked I find, while conversely, due to the success of Halo, unrealistic expectations are often heaped on Bungie technically, despite the fact no Bungie title has ever been a true envelope pusher technically (not that they're slouches by any means, but they're focused on gameplay and overall balance as it should be vs trying to push things technically just for its own sake).

I totally agree with you, but Halo 2 looked pretty good for its time.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network

My oppinion:

I think the first half of Resistance 2's campaign was very lackluster. 

I can also remember 2 levels that really looked bad in the second half of the game.

Besides that the multiplayer took a big hit in the graphics department which is even worse when playing split screen.

I've only played Reach in split screen so criticizing it much wouldn't be fair

Yes, Resistance 2 is has better graphics than Halo: Reach... no doubt about that.

But Reach is all about GAMEPLAY and MULTIPLAYER.

So Reach > Resistance 2.

Reasonable said:

Interesting comparison.  I wasn't surprised that on pure resolution/frame rate really.  Insomniac are pretty capable technically and have a good record of no screen tearing, solid engines going back to PS2.

Bungie are I would argue equally capabale but - a little oddly I thought - they pushed Reach balance between performance/frame rate a little further with the result there is some tearing and frame rate drops (tiny amounts mind you) which has been noted in numerous analysis including DF.  It's not much, but it's there.

Reach though looks more polished overall I believe, as is clear from many segments of the video.  Resistance 2 looked amazing at times, and featured big levels with lots of enemies, but it could also look poor as well due to lack of polish.  Playing it you kind of went from wow to hmm.  In quite a few spots there was literaly the feeling final detail work on that part of the level hadn't been fully completed.

Overall pure performance seemed close though, with Resistance 2 just edging it due to no tearing, etc. but nonethelss that doesn't mean it looks better in a consistent way.  I think the AA in Reach was a little better though in terms of implementation - but hopefully Insonmniac are looking at using the more recent techniques developed for AA on PS3.

I am very curious to see just how well Resistance 3 performs as I understand Insomniac have finally increased their development time and I'm expecting a similar, rock solid engine / frame rate a'la Resistance 2 but much better level of polish throughout, really showing what Insomniac are capable of.

Really though, you're talking about two solid developers producing two very solid exclusive engines.  Neither I think is seen as a developer that pushes the envelope with visuals, but I think both tend to show a good balance to performance vs visual rendering vs the developers who push things to the extent a lot of tear, etc. is present.

Due to their smaller sales/market presence Insomniac's solid technical capabilities tend to be overlooked I find, while conversely, due to the success of Halo, unrealistic expectations are often heaped on Bungie technically, despite the fact no Bungie title has ever been a true envelope pusher technically (not that they're slouches by any means, but they're focused on gameplay and overall balance as it should be vs trying to push things technically just for its own sake).

When you have large number of advanced I.A. on screen, massive draw distances, dynamic lights, 1000's of colliding particles, insane level use of alpha at full resolution to boot none something obviously is going to be effected but for some reason lens of truth doesn't take any of that into consideration.

Really? It might have better graphics, but resistance is one of the worst designed shooters i've played. You really can't compare resistance to halo and I don't even like halo or have an xbox.

Around the Network
Nsanity said:

Resistance did perform little better in that video ,but Tech wise Halo Reach wins.

Why? Don't just say something without backing it up. How is Halo Reachs tech better? I'm not being a fanboy but when a website Xbox 360 fans love to bring up when comparing PS3 and Xbox 360 multiplats together says a 2 year old PS3 title outperforms the Xbox 360s biggest exclusive and someone says that Halos techs better, well I wanna know why you think the techs better or are you just letting your bias talk?

geddesmond2 said:
Nsanity said:

Resistance did perform little better in that video ,but Tech wise Halo Reach wins.

Why? Don't just say something without backing it up. How is Halo Reachs tech better? I'm not being a fanboy but when a website Xbox 360 fans love to bring up when comparing PS3 and Xbox 360 multiplats together says a 2 year old PS3 title outperforms the Xbox 360s biggest exclusive and someone says that Halos techs better, well I wanna know why you think the techs better or are you just letting your bias talk?

Go back a page or two.

Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:
binary solo said:

What's the point of this comparison? If it's visually best exclusive FPS showdown then why isn't it KZ2 vs Halo: Reach? I'm assuming Halo: Reach is the visually best exclusive FPS on 360, maybe I'm wrong.

Besides I always thought Halo was about the gameplay and Bungie never tried to max out the visuals.

Seems like a comparison with no real point to it.

They also specifically mentioned in the article that Killzone 2 would be a pointless comparison, because everyone's already analysed the game and it hasn't got much competition. They felt that Resistance deserves a go and so they pitted it against a comparable game.

Resistance 2 was never touted as a visual powerhouse, neither was Halo: Reach, it's just for fun and it's just as much about performance, than it is visuals. This isn't a competition about which is the better game, just which is the better running and looking game.

You sir are a lier.

Lens Of Truth: We felt once Killzone 2 was announced Insomniacs Resistance series kinda fell off the radar, and Killzone 2 took the spotlight as the PlayStation 3’s top exclusive First Person Shooter. Furthermore, Resistance 1 or 2 has never had an performance analysis done on either one of them, so we were really interested to see how Insomniac has grasped the PlayStation 3 architecture thus far.

For the record Resistance 2 was touted as a visual powerhouse and was put head to head against Gears 2 many times  by it's fans and gaming sites.

Just calm down, and stop taking this so seriously.  Maybe Doobie-wop has a life by not knowing what every interweb user said about R2.  And don't take "by it's fans and gaming sites" so seriously as well.  But if you are, be consistant.  I will officially tout right now that the PS3 is a better hardcore gaming console than the Xbox 360.  Are you going to agree with me?  If not, then my statement realy doesn't matter to you, and this should apply to the "by it's fans and gaming sites" statement as well.

resistance had 0% screen tearing in all its clips, where reach had only one clip without any tearing

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

rrrnearrr said:

Really? It might have better graphics, but resistance is one of the worst designed shooters i've played. You really can't compare resistance to halo and I don't even like halo or have an xbox.

Resistance: Fall of Man was fine. Resistance 2, on the other hand...

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!