By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 security completely cracked

meh sony will just do another update and BAM its fixed ^^

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Around the Network
Chibi.V.29 said:

meh sony will just do another update and BAM its fixed ^^

do you even know what this exploit is?

sony can't fix it as now people can create custom firmware's as they have the signing keys needed for signing a firmware

if sony releases another update they can just modify the update and sign it and PS3 will except it and SONY can't do a thing about it

I wonder how SONY will counter this, i expect a firmware update that will add an additional private key for future software. As for piracy, its worth noting that while firmware private key has been found the private keys used to sign into PSN and to sign games have not been found (and probably never will). As such running custom firmware will allow for piracy/homebrew, however software cannot be signed by the correct private key. 

Overall SONY made two big mistakes, they should of used a random number generator with there private key and allowing the bootl to load firmware then verify it(it should verify the firmware, then load it - and it should be locked to loading code from 3 locations[flash memory were the 2 firmware versions are, and 'repair' bit of flash memory for factory repair].

sieanr said:
hunter_alien said:
PearlJam said:

You really aren't understanding anything they said if you think it took them 4 years, they basically blew open Sony's security and laid it out for anyone that wants to further the work. It's insane to think that it would take anyone 4 years to hack, once you see how pathetic Sony's security really is. It only took this long because the "right" people weren't looking at it.

You know, they are nerds, but we're not exactly the coolest guys in the world to begin with if we're on forums talking about Video Games.

sorry to break it to you

Well talk in your own name. I actually have a life outside this site, while obviously those guys dont. Hell they can barely speek in front of a geek crowd

And again, excuse upon excuse. Do you trully believe that? There is no way in hell that they didnt tried to hack it untill now, especially with a debated console like this. I call this BS.

Also, why do people act all innocent about this? We all know that the entire homebrew this, and homebrwe that talk is just there to mask the truth. This will lead to piracy sooner, rather then later. So how can anyone even admire them? They are a bunch of nolife loosers, whom could potentially leave plenty of people whitout jobs, just because they need to satisfy their need of power and popularity in some way.

And this is coming from a guy showing signs of emotional distress over their pet gaming console being hacked. But by all means keep up with the ad hominem attacks, I'm sure you need the vent.

Anyways, is it really great security when they have a huge hole like the one exploited in this hack? A security system is only as strong as its weakest link, and sony made a pretty major mistake. Its equivalent to boarding up your homes windows, install a finger print door scanner, ect all in an attempt to make it bugler proof, but leaving the kitchen window wide open.

Oh, and as for importance, this is a pretty big hack. I don't think anyone has found the private encryption keys for any system, not even the PSP. Most hacks work by some flaw that allows unsigned code to be executed - while this hack will allow code to be signed. In other words the PS3 won't be able to tell the difference between real Sony approved executables, and those written by hackers and pirates. So, with this hack any PS3 will be able to run homebrew applications, regardless of firmware and wether or not it was jailbroken.

This will likely make the PSP hacking and pirating scene look like nothing.

LOL... actually I dont even own a PS3, so you are kindoff wrong there buddy

I still stand by what I say. Even if the PS3 becomes as open source as a PC, because of them , why are people so happy about it? If it becomes trully popular ( as some of you pointed out, and I am waiting for the vids to proove it) then why is it good? It only means that some dev teams game will probably underdeliver sooner or later, and whem there goes to job of what? 40? 80? Or maybe 200 guys? I dont know why would anyone want any system to be hacked.

As someone else mention if you want functionality go and buy a PC, hell, I bet that 95% of  you post from one. So go and hack that thing. Put linux on it, run an Atari 2600 emulator or whatever. Everybody acts like they dont see the elefant in the room. This news is not important because it enables you to run emulators or Linux  on your PS3 ( it was there for years, why didnt nobody bother to use it?).

Some see challenge and triumph over it. I see a serious waste of time and the possibility of hundreds of lost jobs...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

On a calmer tone Will this force Sony to modify the future PS3 models in any way? WIll this make the ebay price of old PS3s skyrocket in the longrun?

This could make a sealed, launch 60GB, BC PS3 to sell for a fortune in 10 years or so

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

My god.. why does these hackers look like such nerds... my god.. just because you are a computer genius doesn't mean you have to look like that:

next project: cracking his virginity but I don't think they can do it...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Aprisaiden said:

I wonder how SONY will counter this, i expect a firmware update that will add an additional private key for future software.

That wouldn't work. Either Sony allows all signed code to run including past games and homebrew, or they disallow all games before the update by requiring the new signature.

Only case it would work is for enabling new features that old games wouldn't support anyway, but it won't stop unapproved code being run even on future versions.

--

Are you saying that consoles using this hack won't be able to use PSN?

Spedfrom said:

Sony made huge mistakes in the design of the security measures?????

You're kidding right? It's only the console that has put up the longest and hardest fight to hackers ever. And it still doesn't allow for a widespread method of pirating. But you find faults in the security measures.

That comment deserves a very hard facepalm.

At everyone saying they didn't make a huge mistake--

First off, I'm very much against piracy and I do hope this falls flat (but I suspect it won't), but just because it took them four years to find doesn't mean it wasn't a serious flaw.  It just means it took them four years (actually less than that since trophies took about a year, correct?) to come at it from that angle because they were trying other things first.

Also, to everyone saying this is too complicated--

It's too complicated now.  If it truly works, they are in their early steps and are still refining the process.  If they really have the security key then firmware updates won't do a lot since every other game uses that key I assume.  If it works then they will probably make it about as easy with the PSP and then it will just be the constant back and forth like it is now.

well,sony win this generation confirmed....

Aprisaiden said:

I wonder how SONY will counter this, i expect a firmware update that will add an additional private key for future software. As for piracy, its worth noting that while firmware private key has been found the private keys used to sign into PSN and to sign games have not been found (and probably never will). As such running custom firmware will allow for piracy/homebrew, however software cannot be signed by the correct private key. 

Overall SONY made two big mistakes, they should of used a random number generator with there private key and allowing the bootl to load firmware then verify it(it should verify the firmware, then load it - and it should be locked to loading code from 3 locations[flash memory were the 2 firmware versions are, and 'repair' bit of flash memory for factory repair].

Interesting, but wouldn't this be the cause of making the system ignore those keys, since the have the control of the main key?