By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 security completely cracked

bugrimmar said:
hunter_alien said:
bugrimmar said:
Sweep said:
bugrimmar said:

i dont see why this is a big deal.

every console is hacked. so now the ps3, 4 years later, gets hacked. so?

it's like we're surprised about a new mcdonalds branch finally selling burgers. so?

It's not a short term problem for Sony but it is indeed a big one for game devs.

It is claimed that this hack will allow very easy ways of pirating games.

Easier than Wii, easier than X360, even Joe Six Packs would be able to handle it.

Could potentialy hurt the PS3 the same way as the PSP.

bullshit.

the ps2 was soooo easy to pirate. any problems there? the best selling console of all time? did piracy stop games from selling? look at san andreas, it's still selling until now!

consoles and piracy go hand in hand. you guys are blowing this 'news' out of proportion. every console gets pirated. easy or slightly harder, it doesn't matter.

stop trying to inflate this story like it was ZOMG PS3 PIRACY = DOOMED. ffs, get real. this 'news' is like.. ooh, the sun rose today.

No it wasnt that easy. You needed a modchip, which for many was a big deal. This way a small software mod will be more then enough to pirate games

Well see you all in 2011. Im off. in a litle over 3 hours its midnight here Have funn

it wasn't easy? think about it this way. i'm in the philippines, and back then at the ps2 launch you couldn't find a single original game around here in any store (aside from one big chain sponsored by the game publishers). everything was pirated. boatloads of cds just all over the store shelves. if you played original ps2 games, people would laugh at you.

now this country is a developing country, meaning our tech over here isn't as high as western countries. are you saying that americans had a 'hard time' pirating the ps2, when filipinos had 100% piracy on their ps2?

ps2 piracy was sooooo easy. lets not delude ourselves into thinking that ps3 piracy is something special. it was inevitable and it's not going to change anything. in fact, it's probably going to increase sales because a lot of people don't buy the console because there aren't any pirated games. now that piracy is possible, those people will be more interested in buying one. the ones who bought original games in the first place are already fans of original games, since they've been buying and playing them for 4 years. think about it.

It was the same here... to bad that neither your or my country means jack shit when it comes to total sales. In  the US and many EU countries, doing stuff like that could get you in jail, thats why they where harder then you might think, and thats why a simple software mod is so much more "affordable". Here in Romania... any jipsy could sell you the new FIFA, the day it went gold

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Damn this is like the PSP all over again. :(   I must have modded 100 of those and it was annoying to have friends bring over PSPs that weren't even theirs to mod or the guys with lots of money that used to buy a lots of PSP games telling me they would never buy another one.

This time I plan on only modding a couple dozen and showing those people how to mod others so they don't have to bring them to me.  At least this time around they'll already know what bittorrent is.

Sweep said:
bugrimmar said:

i dont see why this is a big deal.

every console is hacked. so now the ps3, 4 years later, gets hacked. so?

it's like we're surprised about a new mcdonalds branch finally selling burgers. so?

It's not a short term problem for Sony but it is indeed a big one for game devs.

It is claimed that this hack will allow very easy ways of pirating games.

Easier than Wii, easier than X360, even Joe Six Packs would be able to handle it.

Could potentialy hurt the PS3 the same way as the PSP.

Theres no way it can be easier than the wii. My friend has a soft modded wii and all he does is download w/e game, drop it into his external HDD and plug the HDD to his Wii. He showed me by downloading a brand new game, putting it on his HDD and playing it and it took about an hour or so.