By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 security completely cracked

Looking forward to some quality homebrew to come out of this.

Some things I'd like to see added to the ps3, not saying any of them are realistic:

- some form of itunes integration

- .pls files playable (for listening to internet radio stations)

- ability to transfer "locked" save files

- Save states for ps3/psn/ps2/ps1 games

- ability to boot disc-based games off an external hd

- a web browser that isn't shit

- emulators, of course

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network
shuraiya said:
Darc Requiem said:
shuraiya said:
Soleron said:

http://psgroove.com/content.php?581-Sony-s-PS3-Security-is-Epic-Fail-Videos-Within&s=31e490494dcf1623127e1c41cb25e614

New crack method works on current firmware, doesn't require dongle, and the private keys have been foundso anyone can have signed SELF files.

Watch the videos of how it was done. They are awesome - Sony made huge mistakes in the design of the security measures.

Seeing as it took this long to crack, I highly doubt Sony made huge mistakes in it's design.

It's more of a popularity thing. If the PS3 dominated like the PS2 did it would have been cracked long ago.

how does that explain the Xbox, Gamecube, 360, or PSP?

Between the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube, the Gamecube took the longest to crack. Sure it had good security measures in comparison to the Xbox and PS2 but the fact that it was the least popular played a huge part in how long it too to crack.  The more popular a console the more profitable it is for pirates. The Sega Saturn has been one of the most difficult systems to emulate. It's complexity is part of the reason, the lack of popularity is the bigger contributing factor.

Crap, I just watched that video and that was pretty much an epic fail.  Two things I have to say to some people in this thread:

• The video goes into why they hack consoles-- because they want low level access and run Linux.  Since Sony originally allowed them to run Linux, they didn't bother.  It was only when Sony took away Linux did they start trying.  After that, it only took about one year, or the same as the 360.
  • Sony did fuck up with their key, it's common sense not to use the same random number over and over again.  That's a pretty big deal.

Posted the same thing in the other thread, but since it may get locked:

For the n00bies who don't get it: This is game over for PS3's security. We can now sign any code; indistinguishable from Sony's own signature, and execute it on any PS3 (any firmeware, too!) without the need for any hardware-mod or even a jailbreak dongle. And Sony can't revoke the previous keys because that would render ALL old games unplayable. (PS.: Apploader is decyrpted already, so this security hole very much works for games, too.)
I told you so:
Remember my enraged posts from back when Sony stole Linux from previously sold consoles? Just like predicted in March, they painted a HUGE target on their backs with their idiotic, short-sighted (and illegal!) action, that really prevented nothing. Now they got what they deserved, in a worse way than anyone could have possibly imagined. No doubt, this will hurt them dearly. This is a huge victory for consumer rights: We got back what they stole, and then some. Maybe next time they'll think twice before REMOVING advertised features from their products after the fact.
Better luck with PS4. And remember, don't screw with the wrong people.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

hunter_alien said:
PearlJam said:

You know, they are nerds, but we're not exactly the coolest guys in the world to begin with if we're on forums talking about Video Games.

sorry to break it to you

Well talk in your own name. I actually have a life outside this site, while obviously those guys dont. Hell they can barely speek in front of a geek crowd

And again, excuse upon excuse. Do you trully believe that? There is no way in hell that they didnt tried to hack it untill now, especially with a debated console like this. I call this BS.

Also, why do people act all innocent about this? We all know that the entire homebrew this, and homebrwe that talk is just there to mask the truth. This will lead to piracy sooner, rather then later. So how can anyone even admire them? They are a bunch of nolife loosers, whom could potentially leave plenty of people whitout jobs, just because they need to satisfy their need of power and popularity in some way.

Dude... don't even go there, I have like 200 posts you have over 6,000. And your getting all worked up over the PS3 getting hacked, what are you emotionally attached to this machine or something?

The 360 (my favorite system) has been hacked to hell and back, and guess what... I don't give a shit.

Actually I do give a shit, if I could afford a JTAG 360 right now I would get it.

Well it seems like many of the people posting actually know what they're talking about. That's nice to see, specially at this forum.

Around the Network
twesterm said:

Crap, I just watched that video and that was pretty much an epic fail.  Two things I have to say to some people in this thread:

• The video goes into why they hack consoles-- because they want low level access and run Linux.  Since Sony originally allowed them to run Linux, they didn't bother.  It was only when Sony took away Linux did they start trying.  After that, it only took about one year, or the same as the 360.
  • Sony did fuck up with their key, it's common sense not to use the same random number over and over again.  That's a pretty big deal.

It's incredible, they didn't even had to invent some standard to this, it's the phreaking ECDSA, why did they used on this the same "random" number over and over when there's good random methods available...

When i watched it i couldn't believe what i was seeing, it's truly an Epic Fail...

Also, i laughed so hard when they used XKCD strip as an example of how Sony screwed up...

Now to the other point... I am happy about this for 2 things:

1. Sony's removal of OtherOS backfired in epic proportions.

2. Now we can talk about homebrew, i can't wait to see Linux running properly with RSX, matroska playback, , new media functionalities, etc.

twesterm said:

Are you truely that gullible and naive? You think they live by some code of honour and they hacked the PS3 because SONY removed Linux? The people who are hacking the PS3 would have been looking into this from day 1 of its release.

Hacks are always easy in hindsight, it's only now its been found that they realised how easy it actually was.

JazzyJeez said:
twesterm said:

Are you truely that gullible and naive? You think they live by some code of honour and they hacked the PS3 because SONY removed Linux? The people who are hacking the PS3 would have been looking into this from day 1 of its release.

Hacks are always easy in hindsight, it's only now its been found that they realised how easy it actually was.

Pretty much this. Ever heard of the Egg of Columbus?

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

i dont see why this is a big deal.

every console is hacked. so now the ps3, 4 years later, gets hacked. so?

it's like we're surprised about a new mcdonalds branch finally selling burgers. so?

4 years later.

Id say Sony did a decent job.