By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 security completely cracked

PearlJam said:
hunter_alien said:
PearlJam said:

You know, they are nerds, but we're not exactly the coolest guys in the world to begin with if we're on forums talking about Video Games.

sorry to break it to you

Well talk in your own name. I actually have a life outside this site, while obviously those guys dont. Hell they can barely speek in front of a geek crowd

And again, excuse upon excuse. Do you trully believe that? There is no way in hell that they didnt tried to hack it untill now, especially with a debated console like this. I call this BS.

Also, why do people act all innocent about this? We all know that the entire homebrew this, and homebrwe that talk is just there to mask the truth. This will lead to piracy sooner, rather then later. So how can anyone even admire them? They are a bunch of nolife loosers, whom could potentially leave plenty of people whitout jobs, just because they need to satisfy their need of power and popularity in some way.

Dude... don't even go there, I have like 200 posts you have over 6,000. And your getting all worked up over the PS3 getting hacked, what are you emotionally attached to this machine or something?

The 360 (my favorite system) has been hacked to hell and back, and guess what... I don't give a shit.

Actually I do give a shit, if I could afford a JTAG 360 right now I would get it.

Well it seems like many of the people posting actually know what they're talking about. That's nice to see, specially at this forum.

Dude... my post/day ratio is 5. Im an old member, but not that active. Learn to check stuff like this first, anf then try and take jabs at me

I dont care what system is hacked. DS, Wii, 360, PS3, PSP?. I simply hate the idea of any of them beeing hacked. In the longrun it will hurt the system in one way or another and in the same time the gaming industry, and thats that. Its arguable that low quality=low sales, and not piracy=low sales, but there will always be people who will download something for free, no matter how good that is, if this option is awailable.

Seriously, if people like emulators and hoembrew projects that much, why dont they just stick with a PC and for portable gaming, maybe with a Dingoo? They where created for this in mind. I still stand at by my statement that hackers whom do this are lowlife scumbags, whom I do hope that one way or another will pay for this...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
bugrimmar said:

i dont see why this is a big deal.

every console is hacked. so now the ps3, 4 years later, gets hacked. so?

it's like we're surprised about a new mcdonalds branch finally selling burgers. so?

It's not a short term problem for Sony but it is indeed a big one for game devs.

It is claimed that this hack will allow very easy ways of pirating games.

Easier than Wii, easier than X360, even Joe Six Packs would be able to handle it.

Could potentialy hurt the PS3 the same way as the PSP.

Sweep said:
bugrimmar said:

it's like we're surprised about a new mcdonalds branch finally selling burgers. so?

It's not a short term problem for Sony but it is indeed a big one for game devs.

Easier than Wii, easier than X360, even Joe Six Packs would be able to handle it.

bullshit.

the ps2 was soooo easy to pirate. any problems there? the best selling console of all time? did piracy stop games from selling? look at san andreas, it's still selling until now!

consoles and piracy go hand in hand. you guys are blowing this 'news' out of proportion. every console gets pirated. easy or slightly harder, it doesn't matter.

stop trying to inflate this story like it was ZOMG PS3 PIRACY = DOOMED. ffs, get real. this 'news' is like.. ooh, the sun rose today.

bugrimmar said:
Sweep said:
bugrimmar said:

bullshit.

the ps2 was soooo easy to pirate. any problems there? the best selling console of all time? did piracy stop games from selling? look at san andreas, it's still selling until now!

consoles and piracy go hand in hand. you guys are blowing this 'news' out of proportion. every console gets pirated. easy or slightly harder, it doesn't matter.

stop trying to inflate this story like it was ZOMG PS3 PIRACY = DOOMED. ffs, get real. this 'news' is like.. ooh, the sun rose today.

No it wasnt that easy. You needed a modchip, which for many was a big deal. This way a small software mod will be more then enough to pirate games

Well see you all in 2011. Im off. in a litle over 3 hours its midnight here Have funn

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
bugrimmar said:
Sweep said:
bugrimmar said:

bullshit.

No it wasnt that easy. You needed a modchip, which for many was a big deal. This way a small software mod will be more then enough to pirate games

Well see you all in 2011. Im off. in a litle over 3 hours its midnight here Have funn

it wasn't easy? think about it this way. i'm in the philippines, and back then at the ps2 launch you couldn't find a single original game around here in any store (aside from one big chain sponsored by the game publishers). everything was pirated. boatloads of cds just all over the store shelves. if you played original ps2 games, people would laugh at you.

now this country is a developing country, meaning our tech over here isn't as high as western countries. are you saying that americans had a 'hard time' pirating the ps2, when filipinos had 100% piracy on their ps2?

ps2 piracy was sooooo easy. lets not delude ourselves into thinking that ps3 piracy is something special. it was inevitable and it's not going to change anything. in fact, it's probably going to increase sales because a lot of people don't buy the console because there aren't any pirated games. now that piracy is possible, those people will be more interested in buying one. the ones who bought original games in the first place are already fans of original games, since they've been buying and playing them for 4 years. think about it.

Around the Network

The possibility of homebrew stuff is actually pretty exciting =o

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

JazzyJeez said:
twesterm said:

Crap, I just watched that video and that was pretty much an epic fail.  Two things I have to say to some people in this thread:

• The video goes into why they hack consoles-- because they want low level access and run Linux.  Since Sony originally allowed them to run Linux, they didn't bother.  It was only when Sony took away Linux did they start trying.  After that, it only took about one year, or the same as the 360.
  • Sony did fuck up with their key, it's common sense not to use the same random number over and over again.  That's a pretty big deal.

Are you truely that gullible and naive? You think they live by some code of honour and they hacked the PS3 because SONY removed Linux? The people who are hacking the PS3 would have been looking into this from day 1 of its release.

Hacks are always easy in hindsight, it's only now its been found that they realised how easy it actually was.

I'm curious, did you watch the whole video?

Generally, I would agree with you but actually watch the video.  They do make good points that all the recent consoles were hacked to add Linux first and then pirating came later (whether by them or different people). 

In the video, their group actually states they have no intention of writing apps to pirate games or blurays, we'll see who writes the first one (I doubt it will be them).  I'm positive pirating of games will result in the hack, but I believe them when they say they started it because they wanted to add Linux.

hmm, i have to ask how did they figure out sony uses the same "random" number. it is an EPIC fail. i couldn't believe Sony made such a huge mistake.

mmm. This could be even easier than modding my Wii. Just as easy at least - and it's some deep stuff. Sony can't simply change the whole thing with a firmware.

Consoles this gen are a piece of cake to mod, you don't even need modchips anymore. Hurrah to security improvements...

bugrimmar said:

it wasn't easy? think about it this way. i'm in the philippines, and back then at the ps2 launch you couldn't find a single original game around here in any store (aside from one big chain sponsored by the game publishers). everything was pirated. boatloads of cds just all over the store shelves. if you played original ps2 games, people would laugh at you.

now this country is a developing country, meaning our tech over here isn't as high as western countries. are you saying that americans had a 'hard time' pirating the ps2, when filipinos had 100% piracy on their ps2?

ps2 piracy was sooooo easy. lets not delude ourselves into thinking that ps3 piracy is something special. it was inevitable and it's not going to change anything. in fact, it's probably going to increase sales because a lot of people don't buy the console because there aren't any pirated games. now that piracy is possible, those people will be more interested in buying one. the ones who bought original games in the first place are already fans of original games, since they've been buying and playing them for 4 years. think about it.

bolded is true to some extent. due to the fact that government sucks balls plus the majority of people are un-informed. take for example nuclear power. nuclear plants are a dime a dozen in the US but here, people are goin "OHS NOS! RADIATION!! EVIL!!!" and shit like that.

anyways, it is easy as shit to pirate shit here. during the ps1 and ps2 days, pirated games were the norm. it was such that when buying games, people thought they were buying original games when in fact they were buying pirated games. and hdd enabled ps2s were what some thought as pirating.

to further elaborate on the ease of moding ps2s, just go to almost any local mall and sure as day there is a store that will mod your ps2 for around $20 US.

wii and x360 are the same, just bring your unit to any local mall, pay $30-$50 and lo and behold! modded console! some modders even offer home service...

easy as pie! now the ps3 on the otherhand, kinda deters pirates coz of the initial investment on  the hdd. $3 priated DVD of x360 VS $50 HDD...no brainer, go with the x360 mod and pirted games.

poor country is a poor country