By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo DS Becoming Best Selling Console of All Time in a Couple of Days

dany612 said:
homer said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Wagram said:

Technically the DS isn't a console. But it will outsell the PS2.

DS isn't a console? Does this mean DS games technically aren't games?

In the broadest sense of the word, the DS would be a console, but so would a pc, and there are far more of them than ds's.

But a PC is made into a console. As in until you buy games for it, and a controller which not many people do. But in that sense. A cell phone is also a conosole. OMG

I disagree. Since when do you need a traditional controller to become a console? The keyboard and mouse works fine. Most pc's come with built in flash games do they not? A cell phone would also be considered a console. That is why it is hard to compare things using such broad terms.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network
stopstopp said:
Nintendogamer said:
stopstopp said:

Lol we all know PS2 is heavily undertracked at VGC, DS won't be king this year.

But it will have narrowed the gap by a good 6M.

Good for it, it'll have another 3-4 million to go.

Btw everyone, when does 3DS come out, won't that just kill off DS and bring the PS2 back on top? Not bashing on DS, I have one, thinking about getting a second for Wifi.

I think GBA managed to seel about 25M after DS was out, so it could indicate that DS may manage another 30M before it's off the markett, so 175M LT isn't impossbile.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Nintendo has done more this generation than what Sony did in the past 2 generations lol

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

My definition of a gaming console:

A device which is primarily used to play games.

Christian973 said:

Nintendo has done more this generation than what Sony did in the past 2 generations lol

what do you mean by "done"

Around the Network
Christian973 said:

And it's all due to a handled that everyone buys multiple amounts of lol

Saying a DS isn't a console is like saying a laptop isn't a computer.

RolStoppable said:
homer said:
dany612 said:

But a PC is made into a console. As in until you buy games for it, and a controller which not many people do. But in that sense. A cell phone is also a conosole. OMG

I disagree. Since when do you need a traditional controller to become a console? The keyboard and mouse works fine. Most pc's come with built in flash games do they not? A cell phone would also be considered a console. That is why it is hard to compare things using such broad terms.

A console is a device with unified specifications (i.e. every Wii sold has the same processing power) specifically made to play video games, either as sole or primary purpose. PCs and cell phones are not consoles.

Who said it had to primarily be used for gaming? If that were the case, would the ps3's that were bought by some (albeit a small minority) primarily for bluray, not consoles? The same for the ps2? If that is your current definition for consoles, soon, we may never see consoles ever again, as our devices become more focused on multimedia.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

homer said:
RolStoppable said:
homer said:
dany612 said:

A console is a device with unified specifications (i.e. every Wii sold has the same processing power) specifically made to play video games, either as sole or primary purpose. PCs and cell phones are not consoles.

Who said it had to primarily be used for gaming? If that were the case, would the ps3's that were bought by some (albeit a small minority) primarily for bluray, not consoles? The same for the ps2? If that is your current definition for consoles, soon, we may never see consoles ever again, as our devices become more focused on multimedia.

Yes but those are add ons. The PlayStation 3 is still primarily a gaming console with blue-ray. A PC on the other hand, is a multi-tasking system which happens to have 'gaming' as an availability. Even for whatever reason a consumer choices to buy it, it still remains a gaming console. Heck, one could just buy a Wii to use the internet or watch netflix.

RolStoppable said:
homer said:
RolStoppable said:

Whoa there, I chose my words carefully. I said "made for", not "used for". If I said the latter, then one could argue that a gaming PC is a console (which it isn't). The PS3 may be able to Blu-ray movies, but it was made to play video games first and foremost.

Whoops, misread your post. Some pcs are made specifically for gaming though, right? Wouldn't that make them consoles, or are you saying that they have to have both unified specs and be made to game? Also, there is only one way to find out if a "console" was made to be used as a gaming device, ask the people who made it. For all we know, the Wii could have been made primarily for the photo channel lol.