By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo DS Becoming Best Selling Console of All Time in a Couple of Days

RolStoppable said:
Jay520 said:

I don't think that's fair. COLOR is a very serious upgrade.

The Dsi is much more advanced. It has a camera, online store, built in MPS3 player, internet browser, and much more.

PS2 is still king and will be for a long time.

Those upgrades don't have a big influence on the games that can be played on the previous model, thus it makes not much of a difference for the average gamer which model he/she owns.

My PS2 example didn't seem to do anything to change your opinion, so let me ask you a question: The earliest PS3 models had the ability to play all PS2 games while later models removed PS2 BC altogether. Should the early PS3 sales now be counted seperately or is the difference negligible?

Uhm...? The PS3 is made for PS3 games, not PS2 games, and ALL PS3s can play ALL PS3 games. Fail comparison is fail. Actually, you kind of prove his point, because no PS2 can play ANY PS3 games and NO DS can play ANY DSi games.. Therefore a DS should be considered the same as a PS2 and a DSi should be considered the same as a PS3.

I think he has a point, and I support it. If some games on DSi cannot be played on the DS, they are different systems, IMO. Therefore I don't think it's "fair" to count them as a single system. That's my opinion. IMO that would be counting PS2 and PS3 as the same, and they are most definitely not.

sorry for double posting btw...

Around the Network
tjallern said:
RolStoppable said:
Jay520 said:

The Dsi is much more advanced. It has a camera, online store, built in MPS3 player, internet browser, and much more.

Those upgrades don't have a big influence on the games that can be played on the previous model, thus it makes not much of a difference for the average gamer which model he/she owns.

My PS2 example didn't seem to do anything to change your opinion, so let me ask you a question: The earliest PS3 models had the ability to play all PS2 games while later models removed PS2 BC altogether. Should the early PS3 sales now be counted seperately or is the difference negligible?

Uhm...? The PS3 is made for PS3 games, not PS2 games, and ALL PS3s can play ALL PS3 games. Fail comparison is fail. Actually, you kind of prove his point, because no PS2 can play ANY PS3 games and NO DS can play ANY DSi games.. Therefore a DS should be considered the same as a PS2 and a DSi should be considered the same as a PS3.

I think he has a point, and I support it. If some games on DSi cannot be played on the DS, they are different systems, IMO. Therefore I don't think it's "fair" to count them as a single system. That's my opinion. IMO that would be counting PS2 and PS3 as the same, and they are most definitely not.

You can't play FFXI on a PS2 slim.  I guess PS2 slim should be counted as a different system too then?

Congrats DS!!!!

GO Wii and DS!!!

nuh mate..ps2 shipped 150 million units n sold 138 million units out of 150 mill,so shipping n selling is different,also if you believe wikipedia than your stupid,wikipedia isnt a reliable site,heck they even say ps2 sell over 147 million units,which is just wrong,the dude that edit the ps2 article on wikipedia probly overtrack ps2 sales coz he probly a sony fan,npd n other reliable sale tracking site puts ps2 sales at 138-140 million units sold,again,150 million ps2 av shipped worldwide n only 138-140 million were sold to customers..cheers mate.

Around the Network

every1 knows ps2 sell over 147 units worldwide..LOL..where you get your facts from..wikipedia,come on,wikipedia aint a reliable source mate,you do know sony shipped 150 million ps2 eh,that 150 million units shipped doesnt mean it sold 147 million units,NPD put ps2 sale at 138 million units sold,thats where vgc probly gets it total sales from,some fool even say ps2 av sold 174 million units..hahahahahaha..really,how can a system that shipped 150 units worldwide sold 174 million units..thats way overtracking innit,dude that edit the ps2 article on wikipedia probly a sony fan n overtrack ps2 sales by saying it sell 147 million units out of 150 million units shipped,that aint it mate,most sales tracking sites put ps2 sales btween 138 million to 140 million units sold,this are the correct numbers,not wikipedias,so in the next 3 months,DS will be the best selling gaming system of all time.oi you can be proud of 150 million ps2 that were ship to stores worldwide..hehehehe.

atma998 said:

According to VGChartz the Nintendo DS is only a couple of days away to overtakes the PS2 lifetime sales:

PS2 = 138,255,449

DS = 137,418,885

And the best thing is it only took 6 years to accomplish that feat. It seems the new king of hardware set the bar very high for a new record. Can the 3DS or any other upcoming consoles be able to do better?  We'll see but now it's time to celebrate!

its no suprise the ds the way its marketed and its price, although it is a console its not a home console its a handheld,, its a completley different userbase to the ps2 or any other home console

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

jarrod said:
tjallern said:
RolStoppable said:
Jay520 said:

You can't play FFXI on a PS2 slim.  I guess PS2 slim should be counted as a different system too then?

Ok! Be my guest, tbh I don't care. Soooo, now what's your next move? You honestly thought I would care? Because you obviously cared about DS and DSi being separate systems (and they are). DSi is backward compatible with the DS, and the DS has (as far as I'm concerned) neither an official add-on nor an unofficial add-on that enables it to play DSi games. If it did, there would've been no debate, but it cannot (please correct me if I am wrong, and I will stand corrected).

if FFXI is not possible on all PS2s (and all the other games requiring a HDD), then yes, all systems which are able to use the hdd add-on should be considered as different consoles, PS2 and PS2.5 (PStwo or PS1.5 since it essentially is a downgrade, hehe), thus have separate sales.

Skeeuk said:
atma998 said:

According to VGChartz the Nintendo DS is only a couple of days away to overtakes the PS2 lifetime sales:

PS2 = 138,255,449

DS = 137,418,885

And the best thing is it only took 6 years to accomplish that feat. It seems the new king of hardware set the bar very high for a new record. Can the 3DS or any other upcoming consoles be able to do better?  We'll see but now it's time to celebrate!

its no suprise the ds the way its marketed and its price, although it is a console its not a home console its a handheld,, its a completley different userbase to the ps2 or any other home console

Well if you read the title of this thread it is clearly indicated ''console'' not ''home console'' and the DS is clearly a video game console, a portable one to be more accurate. I kind of agree the userbase is different too but people can also claim the Wii userbase is also different from the HD consoles userbase or the PSP userbase is different from the DS userbase so in the end we would have no point of comparison for any consoles.

But as far as video game consoles sales goes at large, the DS is on the verge to take the crown. Well with last week BF sales it is probably already done.

While I'm not a huge fan of the DS (it does some genres well but most of the games I don't care for enough to drop money down for the system), it is quite an accomplishment, so good job!

I do not think the Wii will beat the PS2's numbers.