By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo DS Becoming Best Selling Console of All Time in a Couple of Days

jarrod said:
AOvechkin08 said:

the PS2 is around 145 milllion if not higher so it's still got a ways to go, and the fact here is so many different versions of the Ds and each see like 40k a week and there is only like 1 version of the PS2, it means that PS2 is up against like 4 consoles in which case the PS2 has fared pretty well against for 6 years.

There's 3 versions of PS2 if we go by shell casings (original, slimline, PSX), and a whopping 19 versions if we go by internal revisions.   

Wii's the only "single model" hardware that's likely to pass 100m.  No one version of PS1, PS2, DS or GB managed that afaik.

I understand the significance, but isn't the assumption that it's had no artificial boosts and that makes it special?  The Red color seems to have generated a good amount of interest lately, that may not be a "revision" but for some reason people respond just the same. lol

Around the Network

No one can take away the achievement , for years PS2 was like a monster , DS can sell better if it's still backed by Nintendo, and it should reach bigger markets .

The fact that the DS is a handheld and PS2 is a home console doubles the achievement , because handheld is not proffered by grownups, But the DS got something for them too

DS is going be the new king and will set the target for the next-gen winner to achieve.

The market expands, and the next winner will also have a chance to break DS record only if he gets it right

People were saying that the PS2 wasn't bought solely for the DVD player - but my family did, and many other people that I know did.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

I doubt Wii will ever pass PS2. It barely halfway there and its been here for 4 years and it has already peaked. Even if it stays around for 6 more years (like the PS2) i severely doubt it can sustain, considering its already old hardware to being with. In 2016 the average cellphone (in the west at least) is gonna play more advanced games than the Wii...

And this might not have anything to do with it since all consoles are doing great this generation; but, starting 2011 i do think the Wii will be in 3rd place of new home consoles sold, it will still stay on top for the rest of the generation though and continue to do well.

Juma009 said:

Man as long as theres is 6-7-8-9-10-11 year olds around The DS is going to sell like weed in a Bob Marley Festival, and those kids break them, lose them often and parents will buy another one, guys DS is like the Bicycle of this generation every single kid MUST have one, and parents have no idea that the Superior 3ds is just around the corner, cause god knows they'll have to buy that too once word gets around.

Thats fucked up. It sucks to be a daddy because of that xd

Around the Network
NYANKS said:
Squilliam said:

It is good to see the DS is / will be on top. It will happen or it has happened already either way is just a question of when you ask the question.

Anyway im proud to see the DS as the champion because Nintendo used no dirty tactics, they didn't try to drive competitors out of the market and they didn't make silly boasts and act as if they were they king of everything. In this respect the good guys have won and we all like to see the good guys win.

Everyone acts arrogantly when too much success befalls them.  Nintendo has been cocky at points this gen.  Let them win a bit more, it'll be just like the past again lol.  Let's not turn a money making endeavor (corporation) into saints.

Cocky, yes. But they haven't been outrageous and certainly not as bad as they could have been. You could say they handled success with a little bit more dignity than they used to in the past and when Sony was in the lead.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
NYANKS said:
Squilliam said:

It is good to see the DS is / will be on top. It will happen or it has happened already either way is just a question of when you ask the question.

Anyway im proud to see the DS as the champion because Nintendo used no dirty tactics, they didn't try to drive competitors out of the market and they didn't make silly boasts and act as if they were they king of everything. In this respect the good guys have won and we all like to see the good guys win.

Everyone acts arrogantly when too much success befalls them.  Nintendo has been cocky at points this gen.  Let them win a bit more, it'll be just like the past again lol.  Let's not turn a money making endeavor (corporation) into saints.

Cocky, yes. But they haven't been outrageous and certainly not as bad as they could have been. You could say they handled success with a little bit more dignity than they used to in the past and when Sony was in the lead.

They haven't been in the lead for 10 years.  ;)   roflmao

NYANKS said:
jarrod said:
AOvechkin08 said:

the PS2 is around 145 milllion if not higher so it's still got a ways to go, and the fact here is so many different versions of the Ds and each see like 40k a week and there is only like 1 version of the PS2, it means that PS2 is up against like 4 consoles in which case the PS2 has fared pretty well against for 6 years.

There's 3 versions of PS2 if we go by shell casings (original, slimline, PSX), and a whopping 19 versions if we go by internal revisions.   

Wii's the only "single model" hardware that's likely to pass 100m.  No one version of PS1, PS2, DS or GB managed that afaik.

I understand the significance, but isn't the assumption that it's had no artificial boosts and that makes it special?  The Red color seems to have generated a good amount of interest lately, that may not be a "revision" but for some reason people respond just the same. lol

Sure, Wii's had 3 color revisions, but that still favors pretty favorably compared to other systems.  PS2 for example has had 14 (original) plus 7 (slim) plus 1 (PSX), for a whopping total of 22 color/shell combinations.  That's more than SEVEN times what Wii has had...

Wii still holds the title for selling the most hardware with the least revisions/refreshes, and it doesn't look like it'll ever be beat imo.

Whether or not the DS is ahead of the Ps2 now isn't all that important. There seem to be a fair bit of people who say stuff like that the Ps2 will sell 150 million, and that the DS somehow won't. That's rubbish.

If it performs like it did last year, it'll be at 146 million by the end of the year. It should then sell around 3 million by March, so say it's at 150 million by the time the 3DS launches. 

The GBA did 22 million after the DS launched, and the GBA was actually quite close to the sales levels the DS is at now. For the full year before the DS launched, the GBA sold 18.6 million. For the last year, the DS has sold 23.6 million.

So Rol's throwaway line about the DS selling around 30 million more after the 3DS launches seems quite likely. That's 180 million or so in total.

Wagram said:
Carl2291 said:
Wagram said:

Technically the DS isn't a console. But it will outsell the PS2.

Uh oh!

Here comes the huge debate on what does and doesn't count as a console

There is no debate. It is a handheld. Lol.

Right, IMO there's nothing to debate... And I'm on your "side".