By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo DS Becoming Best Selling Console of All Time in a Couple of Days

the PS2 is around 145 milllion if not higher so it's still got a ways to go, and the fact here is so many different versions of the Ds and each see like 40k a week and there is only like 1 version of the PS2, it means that PS2 is up against like 4 consoles in which case the PS2 has fared pretty well against for 6 years.

Around the Network

yes, it's not a console. it's a toy, or so I was told by someone in a bar at uni when I as playing Layton and he said "Game boy" imitating a kid!

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

AOvechkin08 said:

the PS2 is around 145 milllion if not higher so it's still got a ways to go, and the fact here is so many different versions of the Ds and each see like 40k a week and there is only like 1 version of the PS2, it means that PS2 is up against like 4 consoles in which case the PS2 has fared pretty well against for 6 years.

Dunno what happened Ill try this agin. But there are different versions of the PS2 too. I think just about every console has had different versions except at the moment Wii. Unless we count different colors. I wonder which if any console will break DS's record next Gen.

morenoingrato said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

I would think this was an amzing accomplishment but the fact the DS is a hand-held and the ps2 was a home console, my amazinment is slightly reduced :P

People with this stupid argument again....

Many people bought 2, 3,4, even 5 PS2s, and before DS, no handheld sold close to those numbers, actually, apart from Nintendo brands (and PSP) handhelds have been pretty much dead.

@Carl, knowing the DS, the "9 million gap" will be reduced to 2 million by end of 2010

Was the DS ever $299?

Around the Network

And did the PS2 cost more than 150 in its 6th year?

Man as long as theres is 6-7-8-9-10-11 year olds around The DS is going to sell like weed in a Bob Marley Festival, and those kids break them, lose them often and parents will buy another one, guys DS is like the Bicycle of this generation every single kid MUST have one, and parents have no idea that the Superior 3ds is just around the corner, cause god knows they'll have to buy that too once word gets around.

AOvechkin08 said:

There's 3 versions of PS2 if we go by shell casings (original, slimline, PSX), and a whopping 19 versions if we go by internal revisions.   

Wii's the only "single model" hardware that's likely to pass 100m.  No one version of PS1, PS2, DS or GB managed that afaik.

buzzard said:

And did the PS2 cost more than 150 in its 6th year?

I don't know, did it?  The DS lite certainly doesn't cost more than $150 now, and on black friday regularly goes for under $100.  The DS is also considered a great christmas toy for children and NIntendo always sells the best during the holiday season.

Honestly, I'm not trying to take away from DS's success.  In fact, it's my favorite handheld by far, I just think that there is a difference between the success the DS has and the success the PS2 once had.

Congrats to the DS for sure.  We live in a different era of gaming now, and I don't think we'll see a dominance like the PS2 ever again.

Take it or leave it.

jarrod said:
AOvechkin08 said:

There's 3 versions of PS2 if we go by shell casings (original, slimline, PSX), and a whopping 19 versions if we go by internal revisions.   

Wii's the only "single model" hardware that's likely to pass 100m.  No one version of PS1, PS2, DS or GB managed that afaik.

Ah, the PSX.