By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GT5 sells 1.8m in two days WW

FireBringer said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Carl2291 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Some have predicted GT5 will sell 3 million by Spring.............................

What to do with that?!?!

Please don't tell me that was a serious prediction from someone.

Please.

Actually, if you studied phylosophy, even just logic, you should know that the prediction isn't technically wrong: it remains to be seen how long before Spring it will reach that goal. Already this week, perchance?   

Naturally, there's another question left, whether the "prophet" worded his prediction that way because he's clever and malicious or because he's totally clueless.   

Are you trying to be smart and clever? Fail. Someone who studies Philosophy would know how to spell it. Prehaps you should have listened better in class, than you'd know you're making blind assumptions that defeat logic in any way. Just saying mate, your fail on multiple levels humors me greatly. LOLZ^_^

The underlined: If you're going to correct someone's spelling, at least make sure your spelling is flawless.

Hint: The words are "perhaps" and "then".

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network

Great sales but to tell the truth i expected a little more. Black ops did 1,8 million only in Europe. Thought people anticipated this game more but i guess it suffered a bit from all delays.

Just thought I'd share this here.

Gran Turismo 5 advertising has started in the UK. Just seen a pretty decent advert for it during the Newcastle and Chelsea match on Sky Sports.

account2099 said:

people who said this would outsell halo Reach owe us an apology

Ain't that the truth. I was expecting at least 3 million day one off the hype alone, but this isn't even Gears 2 levels of sales

Jay520 said:

I'd also like to add that GT5 will have 5/6 weeks of sales in 2010

GT4 sold 4.5mil in its first 5 weeks of sales.

Gt5 could match these numbers considering its releasing in the holidays unlike Gt4 which released early in the year.

THIS !

also, GT4 was the second GT on PS2. that is the main reason it was not able to compare with GT3.
GT5 is the first GT on PS3 because GT5pro has never be seen as a full game. It was 10M fold more hyped than GT4 because of this.

About the FPS vs Race game : YEAH, FSP are killing everything. YEAH, even the best racing game are doing quite average compared to FPS game.

BUT, PLZ, we are on PS3, a less FPS console (thx u EMEA), we are talking GT, a serie that has ALWAYS sold better than any others racing serie and that, because of it powerfull brand, may succeed to get amazing sales despite not being a FPS game ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
atma998 said:
CGI-Quality said:
atma998 said:

lol

ok so the game will sell as much in 2012 than in 2011? How come? And it will sell more in its second and 3rd year than CoD:MW2? Come on... this isnt serious.

How did you draw that conclusion?

In 2010, it'll sell 4 million = 4 million.

In 2011, it'll sell 3 million = 7 million.

In 2012, it'll sell 2 million (give or take) = 9 million

In 2013, it'll sell 1 million (give or take) = 10 million.

Now, how did your maths deceive you? And............. CoD will have a larger drop off due to annual releases (unlike GT5, which likely be the only full GT on the system).

Well a drop of only 1 million between 2011 and 2012 sounds like wishful thinking to me, as much as thinking it will outsell CoD:MW2 second and 3rd year. And what makes you think Sony won't release a GT6 this gen? PR talks?

Reality is that CoD is far more popular than GT as a franchise so there is no chance GT5 will outsell its second year, especially when we are looking at racing sim games legs. 

GT games have the craziest legs I've ever seen, GT3 was in the Norwegian top 20 for three years and top ten for almost two years running. Games like Modern Warfare 2 are heavily frontloaded and pre-ordered with their 500 million dollar advertising budgets and this series gets a new game every single year (that's why they have two studios working on the series, so they output one game every single year). I would also suggest to wait before more racing sims are released on the PS3 to judge how they do, since there aren't exactly a whole lot of them available (In fact; there are only two and one isn't even a full game but more of a demo/trial version). As far as I can see, the only shooters that have outsold GT5:P are three Call of Duty game so your terrific logic of Shooters>>>>>>>>>>>>>Racing Sims is flawed at best and plain silly cherrypicking at worst.

Mario Kart has outsold everything this side of wheat bread, this must surely mean as a rule of thumb that Gokart Games>>>>>>>>>>>All Other Games, always. Wii Fit sitting at 20 million means Fitness Games>>>>>>>>>>>All Other Games Besides Gokart Games. See how this becomes rather silly when the scope is broadened somewhat?

I'm not saying your lifetime prediction is impossible, I'm saying that it is unlikely and it would seem that you have a very poor grasp of how game sales truly work, its not simply black and white.

So based on your logic there is no genre more popular than other. Shooter, racing sim, 2D platformer, 3D platformer, RPG, puzzle game and kart games are all equally popular.

We are trying to analyze the sales trend and we are basing our predictions with past sales of other games in the same genre. I don't see what is wrong in my pedictions considering userbase, competition, most popular franchise sales on PS3, racing sim genre this gen, launch sales of GT5, etc. But indeed it's more easy to just deny what others are predicting without taking all that into consideration and taking instead a norwegian chart of a past GT released on PS2...

Unlike you, I have explained my prediction and I think it's a very reasonnable one. I know there is a lot of PS3 fans here that doesnt want to admit it, so in the end I will repeat what I said in my first post:

It will takes more than a year before people predicting 10M (and more) sales may admit the true potential of this game.

too bad it's not as much as i thought..

RAZurrection said:
account2099 said:

Ain't that the truth. I was expecting at least 3 million day one off the hype alone, but this isn't even Gears 2 levels of sales

LOL not you again, You realize people who said that mean LT.... right?

huaxiong90 said:
FireBringer said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Carl2291 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Some have predicted GT5 will sell 3 million by Spring.............................

What to do with that?!?!

Please don't tell me that was a serious prediction from someone.

Please.

Actually, if you studied phylosophy, even just logic, you should know that the prediction isn't technically wrong: it remains to be seen how long before Spring it will reach that goal. Already this week, perchance?   

Naturally, there's another question left, whether the "prophet" worded his prediction that way because he's clever and malicious or because he's totally clueless.   

Are you trying to be smart and clever? Fail. Someone who studies Philosophy would know how to spell it. Prehaps you should have listened better in class, than you'd know you're making blind assumptions that defeat logic in any way. Just saying mate, your fail on multiple levels humors me greatly. LOLZ^_^

The underlined: If you're going to correct someone's spelling, at least make sure your spelling is flawless.

Hint: The words are "perhaps" and "then".

Omg, I will take the role of Grammar Nazi in this fail battle right now.  Correcting him on "perhaps" is right.  However, "than" and "then" are both correct.  Just wanted to point out that his usage may be wrong, but the word is real.

RAZurrection said:
account2099 said:

They must of made a mistake, Gears 2 didn't even reach 2 million world wide on it's first week according to http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/16548/gears-of-war-2/.

GT5 looks like it's going to hit 2.4 to 2.5 million copies on it's first week world wide. Even the Prologues weekly sales has been outselling Gears of War 2's weekly sales by around 3 thousand units every week, showing that the GT franchise has better legs than the Gears  franchise.

GT5 is matching the expectations of most of the people on the site, just because you raised your expectations to ridiculous levels, it doesn't mean everyone else was that silly.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752