By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GT5 sells 1.8m in two days WW

Jay520 said:
atma998 said:
Jay520 said:
atma998 said:

Where did you see your 17,000 unit sold last week? Because the charts is listing GT5:P at 5,894 unit sold for last week.

Even if first week is around 2.4-2.5 mil like you said, are you aware that GTAIV had a 2.55 mil first week and is only at 6.91M? Knowing that GTA franchise is > than GT how can you see GT5 selling 10 million?

Let's say the game's hit 4 million at the end of the year.

It sells another 2 million in 2011 (average of 40k/week for the whole year).

And let's say another 0.75M in 2012 and 0.4M in 2013, which is reasonable.

It only makes 7.15M and these numbers were optimistic.

GT5P does 2.6mil in its second year, yet you expect GT5 to do 2mil in it's second year. no, it should do around 3mil.

I'm still baffled at how you think GT5 will only outsell GT5P by 2mil.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3 best selling game) sold 2.66M in its second year. There is no way GT5 will sell more than that knowing that Shooters > Racing Sim games and that CoD franchise has become far more popular than GT franchise.

Still evading my point

GT5 >>>>>>>>GT5P. yes?

GT5 2nd year >>>>>>>>> GT5P 2nd year (2.6mil). yes?

GT5 2nd year >>>>>>>>> 2.6mil.  yes?

GT5 2nd year ~ 3mil.  yes?

What makes that invalid?

Uhh

GT5P sold 659k not 2.6M on its second year:

http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly.php?reg=World&page=3&date=2009&console=&maker=

And keep in mind that GT5:P was heavily bundled in some areas.

Around the Network

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hZuN3eRXb0

atma998 said:
Jay520 said:
atma998 said:
Jay520 said:
atma998 said:

Where did you see your 17,000 unit sold last week? Because the charts is listing GT5:P at 5,894 unit sold for last week.

Even if first week is around 2.4-2.5 mil like you said, are you aware that GTAIV had a 2.55 mil first week and is only at 6.91M? Knowing that GTA franchise is > than GT how can you see GT5 selling 10 million?

Let's say the game's hit 4 million at the end of the year.

It sells another 2 million in 2011 (average of 40k/week for the whole year).

And let's say another 0.75M in 2012 and 0.4M in 2013, which is reasonable.

It only makes 7.15M and these numbers were optimistic.

GT5P does 2.6mil in its second year, yet you expect GT5 to do 2mil in it's second year. no, it should do around 3mil.

I'm still baffled at how you think GT5 will only outsell GT5P by 2mil.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3 best selling game) sold 2.66M in its second year. There is no way GT5 will sell more than that knowing that Shooters > Racing Sim games and that CoD franchise has become far more popular than GT franchise.

Still evading my point

GT5 >>>>>>>>GT5P. yes?

GT5 2nd year >>>>>>>>> GT5P 2nd year (2.6mil). yes?

GT5 2nd year >>>>>>>>> 2.6mil.  yes?

GT5 2nd year ~ 3mil.  yes?

What makes that invalid?

Uhh

GT5P sold 659k not 2.6M on its second year:

http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly.php?reg=World&page=3&date=2009&console=&maker=

And keep in mind that GT5:P was heavily bundled in some areas.

Oh sorry I was looking at the Japan release (2007), but the point is still valid.

Let's look at GT5P sales in week 20 to Week 72. This would be the equivalent to weeks 6 to 58 (which is 2011) for GT5.

GT5P sold sold 1.5mil (this doesn't include JP's launch) in this time period. GT5 which is a full game and has better reviews will due about 3.0mil.

sorry if I'm confusing.

CGI-Quality said:
atma998 said:

lol

ok so the game will sell as much in 2012 than in 2011? How come? And it will sell more in its second and 3rd year than CoD:MW2? Come on... this isnt serious.

How did you draw that conclusion?

In 2010, it'll sell 4 million = 4 million.

In 2011, it'll sell 3 million = 7 million.

In 2012, it'll sell 2 million (give or take) = 9 million

In 2013, it'll sell 1 million (give or take) = 10 million.

Now, how did your maths deceive you? And............. CoD will have a larger drop off due to annual releases (unlike GT5, which likely be the only full GT on the system).

Well a drop of only 1 million between 2011 and 2012 sounds like wishful thinking to me, as much as thinking it will outsell CoD:MW2 second and 3rd year. And what makes you think Sony won't release a GT6 this gen? PR talks?

Reality is that CoD is far more popular than GT as a franchise so there is no chance GT5 will outsell its second year, especially when we are looking at racing sim games legs. 

atma998 said:
CGI-Quality said:
atma998 said:

lol

ok so the game will sell as much in 2012 than in 2011? How come? And it will sell more in its second and 3rd year than CoD:MW2? Come on... this isnt serious.

Now, how did your maths deceive you? And............. CoD will have a larger drop off due to annual releases (unlike GT5, which likely be the only full GT on the system).

Reality is that CoD is far more popular than GT as a franchise so there is no chance GT5 will outsell its second year, especially when we are looking at racing sim games legs. 

What leads you to believe this^

Reality is:

Best selling COD: ~8.5mil

Least selling GT:  ~9.5mil

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
atma998 said:
CGI-Quality said:
atma998 said:

lol

Well a drop of only 1 million between 2011 and 2012 sounds like wishful thinking to me, as much as thinking it will outsell CoD:MW2 second and 3rd year. And what makes you think Sony won't release a GT6 this gen? PR talks?

- CoD hasn't proven if it's more popular than GT on PS3 though (since the 360 releases mean nothing here and all GTs of the past are higher than the CoDs of this gen). So with that, it's still up in the air.

- GT6 reference comes from Yamauchi himself. He's not sure if it'll release on PS3.

- Maybe my numbers are just my take, but so are yours. We'll see what the game does in due time.

Thats what I said, PR talks...

And shooter games has proven to be far more popular than racing sim games this gen. Of course our numbers are just our personal takes, it is called predictions. Some are just more reasonnable than others :D

I'd also like to add that GT5 will have 5/6 weeks of sales in 2010

GT4 sold 4.5mil in its first 5 weeks of sales.

Gt5 could match these numbers considering its releasing in the holidays unlike Gt4 which released early in the year.

atma998 said:
CGI-Quality said:
atma998 said:

lol

What in the hell are you talking about? Modern Warfare 2 on the PS3 has yet to outsell ANY of the 4 GT games. And do you mean the same racing sim legs that have GT4 still going in its fifth year since launch?

Awesome yo! GT5 is a fucking beast.

We can now "lol" at the people who thought the constant delays and overhype was going to kill sales.

Guys...give up on this atma guy... He is failing to understand that different games have different sales patterns.

GT5 will keep selling lots of copies for years to come. This franchise is about legs.

Dude, NSMB Wii has nearly 20 million sales, yet it opened for sales far less than Halo Reach. Do you think that Reach will sell 20 million ?

Different games have different legs....GT5 definitely has a shot at getting to 10 million. When you consider Europe, I'm pretty sure lots of gamers there will pick up a copy of GT5 when they buy their PS3. GT5 will continue to sell well there as long as the PS3 sells well.

I think it'll end at 9-10 million...