By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GT5 sells 1.8m in two days WW

i have to say i just played with the gt concept citroen in cockpit view in the circuit de sarthe with weahter/time changes, and damn is the game amazing.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network

Excellent sales.

I wonder how much of a boost Black Friday will bring it.

snyperdud said:

Excellent sales.

I wonder how much of a boost Black Friday will bring it.

Now you mention it the article did say that US sales were not that great, but people might just wait Black Friday to buy. But I guess we'll see that next Friday, can't wait!

Carl2291 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Some have predicted GT5 will sell 3 million by Spring.............................

What to do with that?!?!

Please don't tell me that was a serious prediction from someone.

Please.

Actually, if you studied phylosophy, even just logic, you should know that the prediction isn't technically wrong: it remains to be seen how long before Spring it will reach that goal. Already this week, perchance?   

Naturally, there's another question left, whether the "prophet" worded his prediction that way because he's clever and malicious or because he's totally clueless.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

atma998 said:
CGI-Quality said:
atma998 said:

lol

ok so the game will sell as much in 2012 than in 2011? How come? And it will sell more in its second and 3rd year than CoD:MW2? Come on... this isnt serious.

How did you draw that conclusion?

In 2010, it'll sell 4 million = 4 million.

In 2011, it'll sell 3 million = 7 million.

In 2012, it'll sell 2 million (give or take) = 9 million

In 2013, it'll sell 1 million (give or take) = 10 million.

Now, how did your maths deceive you? And............. CoD will have a larger drop off due to annual releases (unlike GT5, which likely be the only full GT on the system).

Well a drop of only 1 million between 2011 and 2012 sounds like wishful thinking to me, as much as thinking it will outsell CoD:MW2 second and 3rd year. And what makes you think Sony won't release a GT6 this gen? PR talks?

Reality is that CoD is far more popular than GT as a franchise so there is no chance GT5 will outsell its second year, especially when we are looking at racing sim games legs. 

GT games have the craziest legs I've ever seen, GT3 was in the Norwegian top 20 for three years and top ten for almost two years running. Games like Modern Warfare 2 are heavily frontloaded and pre-ordered with their 500 million dollar advertising budgets and this series gets a new game every single year (that's why they have two studios working on the series, so they output one game every single year). I would also suggest to wait before more racing sims are released on the PS3 to judge how they do, since there aren't exactly a whole lot of them available (In fact; there are only two and one isn't even a full game but more of a demo/trial version). As far as I can see, the only shooters that have outsold GT5:P are three Call of Duty game so your terrific logic of Shooters>>>>>>>>>>>>>Racing Sims is flawed at best and plain silly cherrypicking at worst.

Mario Kart has outsold everything this side of wheat bread, this must surely mean as a rule of thumb that Gokart Games>>>>>>>>>>>All Other Games, always. Wii Fit sitting at 20 million means Fitness Games>>>>>>>>>>>All Other Games Besides Gokart Games. See how this becomes rather silly when the scope is broadened somewhat?

I'm not saying your lifetime prediction is impossible, I'm saying that it is unlikely and it would seem that you have a very poor grasp of how game sales truly work, its not simply black and white.

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Carl2291 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Some have predicted GT5 will sell 3 million by Spring.............................

What to do with that?!?!

Please.

Actually, if you studied phylosophy, even just logic, you should know that the prediction isn't technically wrong: it remains to be seen how long before Spring it will reach that goal. Already this week, perchance?   

Naturally, there's another question left, whether the "prophet" worded his prediction that way because he's clever and malicious or because he's totally clueless.   

Are you trying to be smart and clever? Fail. Someone who studies Philosophy would know how to spell it. Prehaps you should have listened better in class, than you'd know you're making blind assumptions that defeat logic in any way. Just saying mate, your fail on multiple levels humors me greatly. LOLZ^_^

2.5M FW? Not bad for a FPS dominant generation, an exclusive nonetheless, I don't know whether it will sell such large quantities if it fails to hit 4M by the end of the year, but then again bundling with almost every PS3 should keep the game sales rolling all the way to at least 9M surely, excluding bundles this game will struggle to hit 7M, but with the bundling it will push it at least above the least selling GT, well in my opinion anyway.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

I think this GT will be a little more front loaded than previous ones. One of the reasons its that many, many people were waiting for it and a lot of them bought it first week (it was Black Friday and all), another reason its the metascore, 86% its a very good score but not the greatest, so some people will not buy it and will choose other racing options, and the

I think it will struggle to reach 10 million copies, but will pass 9, so sales between GT2 and GT4. But that's more than enough to warrant a sequel and to bring a lot of money to Sony and PD, so there is nothing to worry about.

FireBringer said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Carl2291 said:
CGI-Quality said:

What to do with that?!?!

Please.

Are you trying to be smart and clever? Fail. Someone who studies Philosophy would know how to spell it. Prehaps you should have listened better in class, than you'd know you're making blind assumptions that defeat logic in any way. Just saying mate, your fail on multiple levels humors me greatly. LOLZ^_^

English isn't my 1st language. Yet I could find a lot of people whose 1st language actually is English, that do a lot more errors than me. About logic, maybe you didn't study it well. Saying that GT5 will sell 3M BY Spring implies just a lower limit, not an upper one. It could sell any number equal or greater than that to be a right prediction. It could reach those 3M anytime before Spring, even right now, even day one, to make that prediction true. So the amusing thing is that if the "prophet" wanted to be hateful towards GT5, he failed since the beginning.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

flagstaad said:

I think this GT will be a little more front loaded than previous ones. One of the reasons its that many, many people were waiting for it and a lot of them bought it first week (it was Black Friday and all), another reason its the metascore, 86% its a very good score but not the greatest, so some people will not buy it and will choose other racing options, and the

I think it will struggle to reach 10 million copies, but will pass 9, so sales between GT2 and GT4. But that's more than enough to warrant a sequel and to bring a lot of money to Sony and PD, so there is nothing to worry about.

Since when has metascore an influence on sales ? ( And since when are reviewers trustworthy ? )

Black Ops' metascore = 88%.

And GT 5 Prologue's metascore is 80%, and it still sold 5.1 millions units according to Polyphony Digital's website.

People don't care about its metascore.