By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So ..... do you guys still trust IGN?

Huh.  IGN has some of the biggest proponents of PS3 out of any media outlets in the U.S. The Podcast Beyond guys are practically evangelists for the platform.  I'm not sure I agree with the OP here.  They seem pretty fair to me.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Around the Network

It only does...8.5

Get over it. If your a GT fan, your probably so fixated to your TV playing GT5 right now, that you haven't bothered to entertain the thought of a review score, albeit positive, or not.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

AlkamistStar said:

It only does...8.5

Get over it. If your a GT fan, your probably so fixated to your TV playing GT5 right now, that you haven't bothered to entertain the thought of a review score, albeit positive, or not.

Again. i'm not talking about GT5 only, read the effing article.

besides i don't have GT5 yet, not going to get it soon, have too many games to get first.

PullusPardus said:
AlkamistStar said:

It only does...8.5

besides i don't have GT5 yet, not going to get it soon, have too many games to get first.

Yes you are talking only about GT5.

We all know it. Stop lying to yourself.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Boutros said:

They changed a lot in the past few months. I really did see a shift in their way of handling reviews and giving scores.

I used to fully trust them but I realized I shouldn't.

I don't agree with a lot of things they do but I still think they are trying to be helpful.

I agree with Boutros

I used to trust them so much but some antics in the last few months has lowered that trust

@Pullus Pardus

GTA4 was full of content and wasn't crap, just very disappointing.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Boutros said:

They changed a lot in the past few months. I really did see a shift in their way of handling reviews and giving scores.

I don't agree with a lot of things they do but I still think they are trying to be helpful.

I agree with Boutros

I used to trust them so much but some antics in the last few months has lowered that trust

@Pullus Pardus

Not Sure if serious >_>

Lots of fun stuff was taken off from San Andreas just to up the graphics

it felt like its GTA 3 rather than an upgrade from San Andreas, even the mission design was basic.

Faxanadu said:
PullusPardus said:
AlkamistStar said:

It only does...8.5

Yes you are talking only about GT5.

We all know it. Stop lying to yourself.

uh.... no i'm not.

I like IGN. Their reviews are pretty good and usually fit my tastes.

PullusPardus said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Boutros said:

I agree with Boutros

@Pullus Pardus

Not Sure if serious >_>

Lots of fun stuff was taken off from San Andreas just to up the graphics

it felt like its GTA 3 rather than an upgrade from San Andreas, even the mission design was basic.

if they would have made the graphics any worse they should have just made it on ps2 again :P.

really though, same thing with morrowind-->oblivion was done, stuff was taken out. And they added more polish (for better or for worse... and too the extent)

But nvm both of those games were dissapointing to me, but not to darth XD

edit: severance go back to severance. I seemed to agree more with him haha

Trust? No. Read to get an opinion on a game? Yes. Same goes for any online review site.

The problem I have with the likes of Gamespot and IGN is their changing standards. When Far Cry 2 came out back in October 2008, it had game breaking bugs where all your save files would become corrupted forcing you to restart. They patched it about 3 weeks in and it was playable.

Now what did IGN and Gamespot score Far Cry 2 at? 8.8 and 8.5 respectively, seemingly glossing over the corrupt save game issue.

Fast forward two years to the release of Fallout: New Vegas and Fable 3. What did IGN and Gamespot score them? 7.5 and 8.5 (Fallout: New Vegas) and 7.5 and 8.5 (Fable 3). Why did they not score as high as a just as bugged game called Far Cry 2?

Changing review standards.

This is why I cannot trust any online gaming review site because they nitpick over the insignificant (bugs, gameplay menus, and on) while not giving enough due credit to the significant (story, gameplay and replay value).