By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Wii be 3rd Place? Two perspectives.

leo-j said:
There's a much higher chance the wii will be in 1st place than there is for it to be in 3rd place.

At present time the wii is at 1st.

@Don

The ps3 came out a year after the X360 wtf do you expect?

So did the Wii....Next Excuse!!!

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network

^BABALITY!!!!! HAHAHAHAH That's terrible

Currently playing:

Unreal Tournament 3, Warhawk, Rock Band, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, DMC2, then 3, and Radiata Stories

"Stop the presses// It's been a while but I'm back in session// And in the past time my flow's matured more than adolescence// It's time to learn a lesson// So get you pen and your pad out, listen close, and take heed to this blessing"

FLAWLESS VICTORY

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

One question : how many of you think that the Wii will last as long as the PS3 or X360 ? That the Wii will have a life cycle of 6 years or more ?

Within the first 18 months, Nintendo will have release all its core gamers top titles (Zelda, Mario, Mario Party, Mario, Metroid, SMB, Mario Kart, Mario Paper, Animal Crossing).
So what's next ?
Can the Wii rely solely on casual gamers ? The ones that own Wiisport, Wiiplay, and may buy Wiifit as their first real "game", then wait for the next big Nintendo casual concept ?
Considering the Wii is already at the massmarket price, how much a futur price cut can boost the sales ?

I doubt the Wii life cycle will exceed 3 or 4 years and other said it better than me : this console War is not a sprint, it's a marathon.
So yes, IMO, the Wii can finish last.

boilermaker11 said:
Gnizmo said:
boilermaker11 said:
mancandy said:
steverhcp02 said:

The thing i cant stand is that people just are so intolerant of opinions against teh wii here. Boilermaker an dmyself both acknowledge the tremendous success of the wii. But just because the type of software (wii sports, wii play, waggle)isnt for us doesnt make us fanboys or stupid.

SMG, Metroid, Zelda 3 big boys, great games 3 different genres.....but theres not a lot of depth, i think thats the argument. But that said it clearly doesnt matter because for people who enjoy wii sports, raving rabids, wario etc. those 3 games plus the other minigame centric titles make it tremendous.

You can have your opinion, but stop making stupid generalizations. There are more games on the Wii than just SMG, Metroid, and Zelda. Funny how you only mention first party games, like that's the only thing the Wii has. Third party support is better than ever. I've already played through, Call of Duty 3, Medal of Honor 2, RE4, Zack & Wiki, Tiger Woods 07, Madden 08, SSX Blur. So please don't tell me the Wii only has party games and lack depth, it's ridiculous.

You repeatedly called me a fanboy, yet I openly acknowledge the success of the Wii.  I think you're confused.

Anyway, yeah, I mentioned mostly first party titles, but let's make a rundown of your 3rd party list. COD3 is on PS3/Xbox/360, MOH2 is on PSP, RE4 is on PS2, Tiger Woods is on everything, same with Madden 08. So when it comes to the 3rd party, what's the incentive to buy a Wii again? For Zack and Wiki? Didn't I acknowledge that game also?

I think I was VERY specific when I posted. I basically said "Wii sales phenomally because it caters to a much wider audience, but the majority of its' games don't cater to myself, and many others" That's the gist of what I was trying to say. That's not fanboyism, that's preference. And the claim of "all the games flat out suck"....never said that. I said that most of the games are family oriented, yet I find games like MGS and Halo to be more in my taste. Once again, not fanboyism, but rather, preference. But if you REALLY want to take it that far:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/

How many games got above an 80? Now cross out the ones that are multiplatform. That leaves 9 games, 3 of which are 3rd party (should you even consider MLB Power Pros?). So it really does look like the Nintendo family is what's carrying the system, when it comes to core gamers.

Why can't I be critical of the Wii without being blasted? I've stated the obvious over and over. Casual market, not my taste in games, blah blah blah, yet I'm a fanboy? I say time and time again that it is and will be a successful console, but I'm not getting one, so I'm a fanboy? I'm starting to believe that around here, if you don't like the Wii you are considered a fanboy by default.

What utter nonsense you love to spew. Judging a games library while crossing off multiplatform titles is just dumb. Can I play Guitar Hero 3 on my Wii? Then it is part of the game library. Can I play RE4 on my Wii? Then it is part of the library. Those two are also special in that the games are different from the other versions out there. My guitar rumbles when I activate my star power and I freaking love it. I never hear missed notes because I muted the Wiimote speaker, and everyone thinks that is cool.

That said, it is the Nintendo family carrying the console for the most part. The catch there is Nintendo makes amazingly good games. Look at the list of the best games ever made and a ton of them have one thing in common and I will let you guess what that is. Their games aren't all holed up in one genre either, which is part of the appeal for many people. They don't just make awesome shooter games, or awesome party games. They have a decent range of games they can produce to sell a system well. A library of just Nintendo games can easily be considered a solid library given the games they can put out.

The reason you keep getting called a fanboy is because you are trying to hide behind the flimsy shield of admitting it is a success and then attacking weak points that don't exist.  You blast the Wii for having a weak library, but are hesitant to offer any justifications at first, and offer flimsy ones when pressed for it. Your comments are not coming across as you saying you dislike the system either. They are coming across as insulting the system, which is very different. When you understand the difference between saying you don't like a game, and saying a game sucks this will make sense.

To the guy above this post: What do I have to say to "negate my fanboy status"? That I utterly love the Wii? Well, I don't, and that's the end of that.

To Gnizmo: The reason I said cross out the multiplatform games is because they can be found elsewhere, thus not the considering factor between a  choosing  a Wii/PS3/360. Why should you get a 360 for the game when it's on PS3? Why should you get a PS3 for a game when it's on Wii? Why should you get a Wii for a game when it's on 360? You say crossing out multiplats when talking about the library is stupid, but it really isn't, otherwise, why isn't the PS3 selling better than 360? It's got COD4, Madden 08, Skate, etc...but those games are also on 360, and therefore aren't games that say "I HAVE to get a PS3 for those". GH3 is on all consoles, so how does that help in choosing which console to get? And also, as a side note, you can simply go into the SFX in options to mute missed notes.

So now you agree that it's the Nintendo family that's carrying the system, even though before you tried to say "why'd you only talk about the 1st party title, look at thhe 3rd party"? Well it looks like the "only has Mario/Zelda/Metroid" statement still stands then.

And for the LAST TIME, I never said that the games suck, I said that I don't like them. In my opinion, MGS > Carnival Games. Halo > Mario Strikers. Uncharted > Elebits. Is that so hard to understand. WHERE in my argument did I say the games suck? Along with not saying the games suck, but also acknowledging its' appeal, and that it's a great market strategy, how does this come off as "insulting the system" again? The majority of the games I don't like, I did NOT say "the majority of the games are crap", when you guys understand that, then this will make sense

So what you are saying is the PS3 should be judged solely on games like Heavenly Sword, and Lair right now? The reason they count is because they still motivate you to buy a console. Suppose I have no console whatsoever and need to justify the expense. Guitar Hero 3, Rockband, Assassin's Creed, Madden 0*, and the other various multiplatform releases start factoring into it. And how exactly do we deal with games on 2 platforms, but not 3? Or that really suck on one platform due to bad porting? Does Madden 08 not count as a reason to get a 360 despite it having a way better version? Does  the sea of inferior ports on the PS3 not make the 360 counterparts look better? If you start with the assumption of "I am going to buy a game system and need to decide which one," I can see where you are coming from. That is not how it starts though, and is not even the arguement I was making. I am saying there are a ton of good games that will play if you put the disc in the Wii. The Wii's game library is defined as the collection of discs that you can put in the system and have play. You cannot take out multiplatform titles and then claim to be judging the strength of the systems games library.

And I said, and will continue to say, the Wii has a good library of games including third party. They also have far more than just "Mario and Zelda lolz" but a lot of that does come from Nintendo. It just happens that their strongest supporter has a large range of games they can make well. Wii sports, Wii Play, Wario Ware, Mario Strikers, Mario Party, Wii Fit (soon), and Big Brain Academy are all very different games made by Nintendo that are lost when you sum it up as just the big 3.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
Cryoakira said:
One question : how many of you think that the Wii will last as long as the PS3 or X360 ? That the Wii will have a life cycle of 6 years or more ?

Within the first 18 months, Nintendo will have release all its core gamers top titles (Zelda, Mario, Mario Party, Mario, Metroid, SMB, Mario Kart, Mario Paper, Animal Crossing).
So what's next ?
Can the Wii rely solely on casual gamers ? The ones that own Wiisport, Wiiplay, and may buy Wiifit as their first real "game", then wait for the next big Nintendo casual concept ?
Considering the Wii is already at the massmarket price, how much a futur price cut can boost the sales ?

I doubt the Wii life cycle will exceed 3 or 4 years and other said it better than me : this console War is not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Wii will do the same thing the PS1/PS2/DS/GBA did. New IPs (WiiSPorts/Play/Fit) and an onslaught of 3rd party games. 

Customers who buy and finish games will buy more games. And 3rd parties will make whatever game sells the most. If it's casual, then yes, they'll make casual games.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Cryoakira said:

So what's next ?

I don't see any problem with it lasting 6+ years. The problem is you're thinking of it in terms of other consoles. Don't. It doesn't apply to the Wii.

There's nothing on either of the other 2 systems that offers an experience anything like the Wii. If graphical technology is the main argument, then I'm sorry to report that the 360 and PS3 already got embarrassed by Crysis. They can't even do DX10. The 2008 PC lineup is probably the strongest of any platform AND reasonably future-proof PC components are very affordable now. (you can build a system that runs Crysis smooth as a baby's butt for ~$600)

I know it's getting cliche to say it, but with the Wii you have to look past the graphics and consider the experience. If cutting edge graphics are what you want then there's not a console on the market that will satisfy you. If scope and depth of experience is what you want, again, PC is your platform. 

Also, PCs being expensive is a myth generated by retards. You should study where technology is going you can build a 4 year system for around $600, with *maybe* 2 upgrades in that time before the next tech jump and full system upgrade. And with the money you save on games ($10 cheaper than consoles, sometimes even less expensive), even buying 1 game a month you save $120 a year, plus $50 for online (xbl). It's very affordable and very easy to keep up a badass gaming PC.

If your answer to this PC graphics/power dilemma "so what? 360/PS3 is more fun/it doesn't have to be cutting edge" then you just answered the Wii longevity question.  Yeah it's graphically weaker, but so what? All 3 consoles are pretty laughable compared to what PCs are doing right now on the tech level. They couldn't even make COD 4 hi def for the consoles.

You have to look at it in terms of what consoles do outside of horsepower. What else do they bring to the table? What does X console give me that a PC can't? With my PC I play online for free, my games have much better graphics, insanly customizable, can be modded, godlike backwards compatibility, the whole 360 shooter library (at least the notable games).

As far as upcoming games: 

The launch title Zelda game was essentially a Gamecube game, my guess is a new one is already in the works or will be, completely designed around the Wii from the ground up. In the NES days they had no problems releasing multiple Zelda and Mario games. Plus we don't know what new franchises are on the way. This one is really hard to predict, maybe something will come out of nowhere and end up insanely badass. It happens often enough in the game world.

What makes the Wii so hard to predict is that it essentially snubs all the rules of console gaming convention. It's obvious from people like the cnet dude that most people don't have the first clue how to consider it, let alone predict anything about it. There's nothing standard about it, no basis from which you can draw any accurate predictions. The closest thing to the Wii is the DS. 

I imagine it'll do really well. I imagine it'll last 6 or so years. That's my guess.  I could be wrong, mostly because I don't have the first clue of how to look at the system. Furthermore, if anyone tries to analyze the Wii in terms of consoles of the past or this generation of consoles, it's a pretty safe bet they're pretty clueless, too. 

boilermaker11 said:
mancandy said:
steverhcp02 said:

The thing i cant stand is that people just are so intolerant of opinions against teh wii here. Boilermaker an dmyself both acknowledge the tremendous success of the wii. But just because the type of software (wii sports, wii play, waggle)isnt for us doesnt make us fanboys or stupid.

SMG, Metroid, Zelda 3 big boys, great games 3 different genres.....but theres not a lot of depth, i think thats the argument. But that said it clearly doesnt matter because for people who enjoy wii sports, raving rabids, wario etc. those 3 games plus the other minigame centric titles make it tremendous.

You can have your opinion, but stop making stupid generalizations. There are more games on the Wii than just SMG, Metroid, and Zelda. Funny how you only mention first party games, like that's the only thing the Wii has. Third party support is better than ever. I've already played through, Call of Duty 3, Medal of Honor 2, RE4, Zack & Wiki, Tiger Woods 07, Madden 08, SSX Blur. So please don't tell me the Wii only has party games and lack depth, it's ridiculous.

You repeatedly called me a fanboy, yet I openly acknowledge the success of the Wii.  I think you're confused.

Anyway, yeah, I mentioned mostly first party titles, but let's make a rundown of your 3rd party list. COD3 is on PS3/Xbox/360, MOH2 is on PSP, RE4 is on PS2, Tiger Woods is on everything, same with Madden 08. So when it comes to the 3rd party, what's the incentive to buy a Wii again? For Zack and Wiki? Didn't I acknowledge that game also?

I think I was VERY specific when I posted. I basically said "Wii sales phenomally because it caters to a much wider audience, but the majority of its' games don't cater to myself, and many others" That's the gist of what I was trying to say. That's not fanboyism, that's preference. And the claim of "all the games flat out suck"....never said that. I said that most of the games are family oriented, yet I find games like MGS and Halo to be more in my taste. Once again, not fanboyism, but rather, preference. But if you REALLY want to take it that far:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/

How many games got above an 80? Now cross out the ones that are multiplatform. That leaves 9 games, 3 of which are 3rd party (should you even consider MLB Power Pros?). So it really does look like the Nintendo family is what's carrying the system, when it comes to core gamers.

Why can't I be critical of the Wii without being blasted? I've stated the obvious over and over. Casual market, not my taste in games, blah blah blah, yet I'm a fanboy? I say time and time again that it is and will be a successful console, but I'm not getting one, so I'm a fanboy? I'm starting to believe that around here, if you don't like the Wii you are considered a fanboy by default.

I guess I am confused since I never called you a fanboy or even said "fanboy" in my post. Anyways, you can not like the Wii all you want, I really don't care if you do or not. I was arguing about the generalizations made about Wii owners.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078