By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Wii be 3rd Place? Two perspectives.

We have IGN's Matt C. blog post on a recent blog post by CNET's Don Reisinger.

Don has shown many times that he clearly dislikes the Wii. Obvious from his writings is that he is a Sony fanboy. Kinda sad that as a professional writer he allows his obvious bias to be so fluid in his writings.

Matt, however, is a definate hardcore gamer with a slightly nintendo lean. I don't think I have ever found him to be anti-(insert non-Nintendo console name) ever.

While I found both posts interesting, I definitely agree with Matt 100%. This a must read for anyone with any perspective.

Specifically Matt's final paragraph.

"I've learned over the years that the console wars are anything but predictable. But if predictions must be made, let's look at the facts, and let's not confuse personal bias with fact. If you're still calling Wii a "novelty device," despite its already-proven library of games, you clearly need to take off the goggles and reassess your position as an objective journalist."

Don's CNET Blog HERE

Matt's IGN Blog HERE

Around the Network

change and different things scare people.  I just dont get why after a solid year of sales an trends and market analysis people still predict Wii failure. I mean, i understood the skepticism early, but thats natural since the Wii isnt liek anything we have seen, its natural to call its bluff, but its proven itself clearly.

The wii isnt for me, i had one, and just couldnt stand it, but im also smart enough to see that what nintendo has done is perhaps close a couple doors to gamers like myself but open up about 80 million more to folks who never thought gaming was for them while still holding onto many gamers from last gen as well. 

Personally, i think its a joke, i cant stand the controls and i just think its more annoying than fun.....but thats just me and i can see that its going to sell eleventybillion systems in its lifetime and that deserves respect.

very funny when you first read don's blog and then matt's blog.

it's not difficult to see that don is acting like a fanboy.

matt's blog was definitely worth to read

I believe that Sony will push Microsoft down into last place world wide, but Microsoft will end up in second place in America.

I'm very much on the fence between a 360 and a PS3, and I'll end up deciding after I see what the games lineup, price and hardware reliability looks like in mid 2008 or so. My girl loves Viva Pinata, so she'd prefer a 360 *right now*, but the fact of the matter is that if we buy a 360 now, it will likely fail at some point in the next 12 months. Plus, they're freakin' loud. We have a nice surround system, but we sometimes have to turn it down quiet and the 360 is just obnoxious. Also, the 360 only has a few games that I'd like to get into, so the PS3 could take the edge in 2008 if it manages to come out with more than two games I'd like to get into. Right now, I'm only interested in R&C and Uncharted on the PS3 side of things.

here let me sum t up

Don--writen stupidty
Matt--writen Bitch slap to Don

dons read was more o a joke then anything else and dripping with his bias, Matt made it clear he like all three systems and that is best gues right now for teh future of the "war"

Around the Network

Typical Don Reisinger. That's all you need to say. (And I am going to read the blog after I post. I just know his stuff).

There are people out there who are do not like things ... and they let their opinions color their judgement. I have previously posted pointing out people with respect to the Wii -- and Don was one of them. I am sure there are others for the other consoles -- always have been, always will be. Only difference is with the Internet, they are seen more and more people can say BS.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Don said:

Doesn't this analyst know that in the US alone, the Xbox 360 has sold more units than both the Wii and Playstation 3? And doesn't he know that in worldwide sales, the Playstation is still millions of units behind the Xbox 360?

This statement is priceless.  The ignorance it shows is beyond staggering.

@Big-what does Nj5 get when he wins the bet?--hahah jk

I was gonna have a rant about Dons stereotypical assumptions but the read Matts blog and I have nothing else to add.

Wii has best hardware sales and will therefore get third party support
360 has great software sales and will therefore get third party support
PS3 - well it's got the playstation brand and will therefore get support

anyone who tries to claim they know what will hapen in this gen console war is either, stupid, lying or both

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

steverhcp02 said:

change and different things scare people. I just dont get why after a solid year of sales an trends and market analysis people still predict Wii failure. I mean, i understood the skepticism early, but thats natural since the Wii isnt liek anything we have seen, its natural to call its bluff, but its proven itself clearly.

The wii isnt for me, i had one, and just couldnt stand it, but im also smart enough to see that what nintendo has done is perhaps close a couple doors to gamers like myself but open up about 80 million more to folks who never thought gaming was for them while still holding onto many gamers from last gen as well.

Personally, i think its a joke, i cant stand the controls and i just think its more annoying than fun.....but thats just me and i can see that its going to sell eleventybillion systems in its lifetime and that deserves respect.

i don't know if your statment was a good idea ...

EDIT:

personaly i think it is not a joke :) 

posts like this start flame wars. and you should know how this ends -> never forget here are more Wii owners :)