By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Wii be 3rd Place? Two perspectives.

steverhcp02 pretty much sums it up for me too. Yeah, I pretty much don't like the Wii, but I'm not oblivious to the fact that it will sell well, because it caters to a much wider audience.

However: "If you're still calling Wii a "novelty device," despite its already-proven library of games, you clearly need to take off the goggles and reassess your position as an objective journalist."

To that I say, what proven library? Mario and Zelda? If the Wii has a good enough library to warrant its' purchase, then by now the PS3 should be crushing it, and the 360 should be dominating the world

Currently playing:

Unreal Tournament 3, Warhawk, Rock Band, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, DMC2, then 3, and Radiata Stories

"Stop the presses// It's been a while but I'm back in session// And in the past time my flow's matured more than adolescence// It's time to learn a lesson// So get you pen and your pad out, listen close, and take heed to this blessing"

Around the Network

There's a much higher chance the wii will be in 1st place than there is for it to be in 3rd place.

At present time the wii is at 1st.

@Don

The ps3 came out a year after the X360 wtf do you expect?

mM

All in all I think Matt's blog is more balanced. I don't know how Don expects the 360 to come out on top if it only does very well in America.

Vienna said:
steverhcp02 said:

change and different things scare people. I just dont get why after a solid year of sales an trends and market analysis people still predict Wii failure. I mean, i understood the skepticism early, but thats natural since the Wii isnt liek anything we have seen, its natural to call its bluff, but its proven itself clearly.

The wii isnt for me, i had one, and just couldnt stand it, but im also smart enough to see that what nintendo has done is perhaps close a couple doors to gamers like myself but open up about 80 million more to folks who never thought gaming was for them while still holding onto many gamers from last gen as well.

Personally, i think its a joke, i cant stand the controls and i just think its more annoying than fun.....but thats just me and i can see that its going to sell eleventybillion systems in its lifetime and that deserves respect.

i don't know if your statment was a good idea ...

EDIT:

personaly i think it is not a joke :)

posts like this start flame wars. and you should know how this ends -> never forget here are more Wii owners :)

nah im pretty sure my comment is the proper way to dsicuss my feelings. Its not fo rme, i despise it, but im not going to sit here and act matter of factly about my opinion...im not oblivious to the sales or the appeal to many more people than myself.

@TheBigFatJ: If your girl likes Viva Pinata, how about DS then? VP is coming for the DS sometime.

@Topic: I have to check those blogs.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

One more quick thought

The person at Screen Digest who made the comments to the Economist -- Piers Harding-Rolls -- is known for being in the tank for Sony. This came to me from a friend, who happens to own an independent video game store so he tracks this stuff for his livelihood. And he immediately discounted the report.

(Speaking of the report, does anyone know if the Year indicator on the graph is beginning, middle or end of year. That would make a difference in interpretation).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Has anyone ever thought how happy Ninty's accountants must be. I can imagine them, and reggie, iwata et al just having money fights all day and.

Now Playing

Planet Puzzle League

Kirby Mouse Attack

Nanostray

DalekLord said:
Has anyone ever thought how happy Ninty's accountants must be. I can imagine them, and reggie, iwata et al just having money fights all day and.

lol i remember at E3 when Reggie was demonstrating th ebalance board he made a comment about his weight and asked if he should remove his wallet.......i thought "man youre full of it......but its so so true"

bdbdbd said:
@TheBigFatJ: If your girl likes Viva Pinata, how about DS then? VP is coming for the DS sometime.

@Topic: I have to check those blogs.

We grabbed a DS-lite recently, but Viva Pinata isn't out for it now. Last week she probably got ~40 hours in with the game, and she still wants more.  I'm reasonably convinced that she'll have seen enough in another 40 hours, which makes it a pretty weak reason to get a 360.  But until she gets that time in, she'll continue to really want one.

That said, we're gonna have a huge pile of DS games shortly -- New Super Mario Brothers, Zelda: PH, Simcity, Elite Beat Agents, Brain Age, Big Brain Academy, Super Princess Peach, and a few others.  That, and the fact that we're still only half done with Super Mario Galaxy and less than half done with Zack & Wiki suggest that we have plenty of gaming to keep us busy for a long time.

Plus, Brawl is due out soon. That's going to be insane.

@Big-what does Nj5 get when he wins the bet?--hahah jk

Unless the numbers get adjusted for both November and December, it looks like he'll win.  If that's the case, I believe we agreed to a gentleman's wager which just includes changing the losers sig to declare the victor for three months or so.  I'll have to go back and double check the terms, but that's the gist.

boilermaker11 said:
steverhcp02 pretty much sums it up for me too. Yeah, I pretty much don't like the Wii, but I'm not oblivious to the fact that it will sell well, because it caters to a much wider audience.

However: "If you're still calling Wii a "novelty device," despite its already-proven library of games, you clearly need to take off the goggles and reassess your position as an objective journalist."

To that I say, what proven library? Mario and Zelda? If the Wii has a good enough library to warrant its' purchase, then by now the PS3 should be crushing it, and the 360 should be dominating the world

This is the kind of ridiculous fanboy nonsense Matt was making fun of.

Wii has best hardware sales and will therefore get third party support

360 has great software sales and will therefore get third party support

PS3 - well it's got the playstation brand and will therefore get support

I don't think the Playstation brand will be enough to keep games coming to it for the entire generation. The fact that it is actually selling hardware and software at a decent pace will keep the new titles coming in though. Probably not as many huge blockbusters as it seemed would happen at the begining of the generation (no it won't lose any but it won't gain a ton either), but definatly some good titles.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229