By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Wii be 3rd Place? Two perspectives.

Yeah Matt C. really did crush Reisinger. I don't understand how in the internet age someone like Reisinger can write an article that blatantly misconstrues or flat out fabricates facts. I mean you know someone will call you on it. Then on top of that C-NET allows you comment on articles. Mr. Reisinger is either extremely biased, not very bright, or a combination of the two.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

From Don Reisinger's blog:

Suffice it to say, the Wii is a fine device, but it's not going to continue selling this well and if Japanese console figures are any indication of the rest of the world, Nintendo won't be selling more Wii units than Sony going forward.

He will love this week's sales figures for Japan.

B-b-b-but Nintendo Domination ends at launch!

Oh. I mean, Nintendo Domination ends with Christmas 06!

Oh. I mean, Nintendo Domination ends with SMG bombs!

Oh. I mean, Nintendo Domination ends with Christmas 07!

Oh. I mean, Nintendo Domination ends with...

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Gnizmo said:
boilermaker11 said:
steverhcp02 pretty much sums it up for me too. Yeah, I pretty much don't like the Wii, but I'm not oblivious to the fact that it will sell well, because it caters to a much wider audience.

However: "If you're still calling Wii a "novelty device," despite its already-proven library of games, you clearly need to take off the goggles and reassess your position as an objective journalist."

To that I say, what proven library? Mario and Zelda? If the Wii has a good enough library to warrant its' purchase, then by now the PS3 should be crushing it, and the 360 should be dominating the world

This is the kind of ridiculous fanboy nonsense Matt was making fun of.

Wii has best hardware sales and will therefore get third party support

360 has great software sales and will therefore get third party support

PS3 - well it's got the playstation brand and will therefore get support

I don't think the Playstation brand will be enough to keep games coming to it for the entire generation. The fact that it is actually selling hardware and software at a decent pace will keep the new titles coming in though. Probably not as many huge blockbusters as it seemed would happen at the begining of the generation (no it won't lose any but it won't gain a ton either), but definatly some good titles.

It's not fanboy nonsense, it's the truth. Isn't the attach ratio for the Wii lower than the PS3? How many articles have been floating around the internet that basically say "The Wii sells a lot of hardware, but the people aren't playing the games"? If it had a "proven library" then it'd have an attach ratio closer to the 360. That is fact. Mario and Zelda =/= oustanding library.

However, there is no denying that the Wii as a whole appeals to many more people than the 360 or PS3. The low price, the innovative controller, etc, it draws people in. It allows them to interact more with the game, and thats why a lot of kids like it, because it's always a fantasy to be basically in the game, and for Mom, sister, the working Dad, because they can quickly pick it up and enjoy with the family. THAT'S why it will sell "eleventybillion" hahaha, but it won't sell that much because of it's "proven library", right now at least.

I'm one that cares about the game selection, and quite frankly, that selection is not there for me on the Wii. But I am only 1 out of a market of over a potential billions. Because of that, my opinion does not reflect that of the majority, however, it does reflect, I believe, the opnion of many people who WILL play games for their system, and therefore get a PS3/360, because despite having Mario, Zelda, Zack and Wiki, etc.....those games are few and far between. The releases for the Wii that come on a consistent basis are more of those family oriented games (alot being shovelware, which results in the ''Wii owners don't play the games" statement)....and I happen to be a person who'd rather play MGS or Halo, over those games, thus eliminating a reason to get a Wii.

Currently playing:

Unreal Tournament 3, Warhawk, Rock Band, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, DMC2, then 3, and Radiata Stories

"Stop the presses// It's been a while but I'm back in session// And in the past time my flow's matured more than adolescence// It's time to learn a lesson// So get you pen and your pad out, listen close, and take heed to this blessing"

It's not fanboy nonsense, it's the truth. Isn't the attach ratio for the Wii lower than the PS3? How many articles have been floating around the internet that basically say "The Wii sells a lot of hardware, but the people aren't playing the games"? If it had a "proven library" then it'd have an attach ratio closer to the 360. That is fact. Mario and Zelda =/= oustanding library.

Wii sports, Wii play, Guitar Hero Three, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Metroid prime 3, Zack and Wiki, and Trauma Center off the top of my head are outstanding games and are not Mario or Zelda. You may not like the library of games it has, but it has already hit 11 million sellers within its first year which is better than either the 360 or PS3. Fanboy nonsense.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Good grief Superchunk, you made me visit something from CNet. I was contributing on the boycott -_-'

On-Topic: This statement made me laugh.

"And if that means nothing else, it tells you one important fact about Wii owners -- they really only play a handful of games and don't bother to buy most of the games that are currently available for the console."

So Playstation and Xbox owners buy most of the games available for the console? They did with the PS2 and PSOne with its tons of shovelware?

Around the Network

"""I've learned over the years that the console wars are anything but predictable. But if predictions must be made, let's look at the facts, and let's not confuse personal bias with fact. If you're still calling Wii a "novelty device," despite its already-proven library of games, you clearly need to take off the goggles and reassess your position as an objective journalist." ""

==> What is suppose to mean "novelty device" ?
I dont get his point.

Time to Work !

When I saw the wii the first time, in my opinion I thought it was going to sell really well..... I mean is something new, who wouldn't like to try something new? :D but then I started to think, or that could be it's greates failure, some people don't want to change, they want the same thing over and over again just improving a bit more... thats where my doubts came from... then I saw horrible critics that the wii is this and that, even tho I don't care what they say... I would still buy it... but still some people don't want to change.... To don how would he feel if sony came up with the idea and made a console like that.... and not nintendo O_O btw I like Matt's writing, it seems more neutral.

libellule said:
"""I've learned over the years that the console wars are anything but predictable. But if predictions must be made, let's look at the facts, and let's not confuse personal bias with fact. If you're still calling Wii a "novelty device," despite its already-proven library of games, you clearly need to take off the goggles and reassess your position as an objective journalist." ""

==> What is suppose to mean "novelty device" ?
I dont get his point.

He is saying that too many people still claim the Wii is a fad. Instead that the fact that the Wii's library has pushed it to be the best selling console ever in the same time frame must show that this is not the case.

Here's an alternate viewpoint: As far as outstanding libraries go, if you don't care for first-person shooters, 360's library goes way, way down in quality.

So say we all, yo.

@ Darc Requiem

It is exactly because of the Internet error that an article like CNET's Don Reisinger can be published.

Because there are so many outlets, there are not enough (or in some cases) any editors or fact chckers. It is write and go.

Plus, I am sure that people visit to see what ridiculous things he has written, that generates hits, that generates ad revenue. Old newspaper trick (obnoxious, know-it-all, $#!+ for brains columnist) in the Internet Age.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV