By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Wii be 3rd Place? Two perspectives.

I wonder how long these guys will cling to their Wii is a fad hopes, I mean its 13 months so far with sales still amazingly strong, when this happenes next year will they still be saying Wii is a fad?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
I wonder how long these guys will cling to their Wii is a fad hopes, I mean its 13 months so far with sales still amazingly strong, when this happenes next year will they still be saying Wii is a fad?

Yes, they will still be saying this next year, because HDTV adoption will also increase next year, so it's only a matter of time until the Wii is finished, especially when 360/PS3 see a price drop.

People seem to be missing the point that granny and little susie have no interest in headshotting aliens

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Gnizmo said:
boilermaker11 said:
mancandy said:
steverhcp02 said:

The thing i cant stand is that people just are so intolerant of opinions against teh wii here. Boilermaker an dmyself both acknowledge the tremendous success of the wii. But just because the type of software (wii sports, wii play, waggle)isnt for us doesnt make us fanboys or stupid.

SMG, Metroid, Zelda 3 big boys, great games 3 different genres.....but theres not a lot of depth, i think thats the argument. But that said it clearly doesnt matter because for people who enjoy wii sports, raving rabids, wario etc. those 3 games plus the other minigame centric titles make it tremendous.

You can have your opinion, but stop making stupid generalizations. There are more games on the Wii than just SMG, Metroid, and Zelda. Funny how you only mention first party games, like that's the only thing the Wii has. Third party support is better than ever. I've already played through, Call of Duty 3, Medal of Honor 2, RE4, Zack & Wiki, Tiger Woods 07, Madden 08, SSX Blur. So please don't tell me the Wii only has party games and lack depth, it's ridiculous.

You repeatedly called me a fanboy, yet I openly acknowledge the success of the Wii.  I think you're confused.

Anyway, yeah, I mentioned mostly first party titles, but let's make a rundown of your 3rd party list. COD3 is on PS3/Xbox/360, MOH2 is on PSP, RE4 is on PS2, Tiger Woods is on everything, same with Madden 08. So when it comes to the 3rd party, what's the incentive to buy a Wii again? For Zack and Wiki? Didn't I acknowledge that game also?

I think I was VERY specific when I posted. I basically said "Wii sales phenomally because it caters to a much wider audience, but the majority of its' games don't cater to myself, and many others" That's the gist of what I was trying to say. That's not fanboyism, that's preference. And the claim of "all the games flat out suck"....never said that. I said that most of the games are family oriented, yet I find games like MGS and Halo to be more in my taste. Once again, not fanboyism, but rather, preference. But if you REALLY want to take it that far:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/

How many games got above an 80? Now cross out the ones that are multiplatform. That leaves 9 games, 3 of which are 3rd party (should you even consider MLB Power Pros?). So it really does look like the Nintendo family is what's carrying the system, when it comes to core gamers.

Why can't I be critical of the Wii without being blasted? I've stated the obvious over and over. Casual market, not my taste in games, blah blah blah, yet I'm a fanboy? I say time and time again that it is and will be a successful console, but I'm not getting one, so I'm a fanboy? I'm starting to believe that around here, if you don't like the Wii you are considered a fanboy by default.

What utter nonsense you love to spew. Judging a games library while crossing off multiplatform titles is just dumb. Can I play Guitar Hero 3 on my Wii? Then it is part of the game library. Can I play RE4 on my Wii? Then it is part of the library. Those two are also special in that the games are different from the other versions out there. My guitar rumbles when I activate my star power and I freaking love it. I never hear missed notes because I muted the Wiimote speaker, and everyone thinks that is cool.

That said, it is the Nintendo family carrying the console for the most part. The catch there is Nintendo makes amazingly good games. Look at the list of the best games ever made and a ton of them have one thing in common and I will let you guess what that is. Their games aren't all holed up in one genre either, which is part of the appeal for many people. They don't just make awesome shooter games, or awesome party games. They have a decent range of games they can produce to sell a system well. A library of just Nintendo games can easily be considered a solid library given the games they can put out.

The reason you keep getting called a fanboy is because you are trying to hide behind the flimsy shield of admitting it is a success and then attacking weak points that don't exist.  You blast the Wii for having a weak library, but are hesitant to offer any justifications at first, and offer flimsy ones when pressed for it. Your comments are not coming across as you saying you dislike the system either. They are coming across as insulting the system, which is very different. When you understand the difference between saying you don't like a game, and saying a game sucks this will make sense.

To the guy above this post: What do I have to say to "negate my fanboy status"? That I utterly love the Wii? Well, I don't, and that's the end of that.

To Gnizmo: The reason I said cross out the multiplatform games is because they can be found elsewhere, thus not the considering factor between a  choosing  a Wii/PS3/360. Why should you get a 360 for the game when it's on PS3? Why should you get a PS3 for a game when it's on Wii? Why should you get a Wii for a game when it's on 360? You say crossing out multiplats when talking about the library is stupid, but it really isn't, otherwise, why isn't the PS3 selling better than 360? It's got COD4, Madden 08, Skate, etc...but those games are also on 360, and therefore aren't games that say "I HAVE to get a PS3 for those". GH3 is on all consoles, so how does that help in choosing which console to get? And also, as a side note, you can simply go into the SFX in options to mute missed notes.

So now you agree that it's the Nintendo family that's carrying the system, even though before you tried to say "why'd you only talk about the 1st party title, look at thhe 3rd party"? Well it looks like the "only has Mario/Zelda/Metroid" statement still stands then.

And for the LAST TIME, I never said that the games suck, I said that I don't like them. In my opinion, MGS > Carnival Games. Halo > Mario Strikers. Uncharted > Elebits. Is that so hard to understand. WHERE in my argument did I say the games suck? Along with not saying the games suck, but also acknowledging its' appeal, and that it's a great market strategy, how does this come off as "insulting the system" again? The majority of the games I don't like, I did NOT say "the majority of the games are crap", when you guys understand that, then this will make sense

Currently playing:

Unreal Tournament 3, Warhawk, Rock Band, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, DMC2, then 3, and Radiata Stories

"Stop the presses// It's been a while but I'm back in session// And in the past time my flow's matured more than adolescence// It's time to learn a lesson// So get you pen and your pad out, listen close, and take heed to this blessing"

I don't know, I have owned all 3 next gen consoles (sold my 360) and the wii is the best by far even with its lack of power. If you look back the least powerful console has always won console wars. snes, playstation, PS2, gameboy, nes and DS all these consoles have been a lot weaker than the console that lost out on the console war, Could there be a reason for this?

Dear VGChartz friends,

Check this comment.

Enjoy. =)

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
thetonestarr said:
Dear VGChartz friends,

Check this comment.

Enjoy. =)

Hey, the guy who made this comment has the same screenname you have here on VGChartz. Is he one of your relatives?

Huh. Must just be a coincidence.

Must also just be a coincidence that he used VGChartz numbers as his source.

SW-5120-1900-6153

RolStoppable said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Yes, they will still be saying this next year, because HDTV adoption will also increase next year, so it's only a matter of time until the Wii is finished, especially when 360/PS3 see a price drop.

Oh, and not to mention when Final Fantasy XXIV/7 gets released. Then Wii is finished.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

boilermaker11 said:
Gnizmo said:
boilermaker11 said:
mancandy said:
steverhcp02 said:

The thing i cant stand is that people just are so intolerant of opinions against teh wii here. Boilermaker an dmyself both acknowledge the tremendous success of the wii. But just because the type of software (wii sports, wii play, waggle)isnt for us doesnt make us fanboys or stupid.

SMG, Metroid, Zelda 3 big boys, great games 3 different genres.....but theres not a lot of depth, i think thats the argument. But that said it clearly doesnt matter because for people who enjoy wii sports, raving rabids, wario etc. those 3 games plus the other minigame centric titles make it tremendous.

You can have your opinion, but stop making stupid generalizations. There are more games on the Wii than just SMG, Metroid, and Zelda. Funny how you only mention first party games, like that's the only thing the Wii has. Third party support is better than ever. I've already played through, Call of Duty 3, Medal of Honor 2, RE4, Zack & Wiki, Tiger Woods 07, Madden 08, SSX Blur. So please don't tell me the Wii only has party games and lack depth, it's ridiculous.

You repeatedly called me a fanboy, yet I openly acknowledge the success of the Wii. I think you're confused.

Anyway, yeah, I mentioned mostly first party titles, but let's make a rundown of your 3rd party list. COD3 is on PS3/Xbox/360, MOH2 is on PSP, RE4 is on PS2, Tiger Woods is on everything, same with Madden 08. So when it comes to the 3rd party, what's the incentive to buy a Wii again? For Zack and Wiki? Didn't I acknowledge that game also?

I think I was VERY specific when I posted. I basically said "Wii sales phenomally because it caters to a much wider audience, but the majority of its' games don't cater to myself, and many others" That's the gist of what I was trying to say. That's not fanboyism, that's preference. And the claim of "all the games flat out suck"....never said that. I said that most of the games are family oriented, yet I find games like MGS and Halo to be more in my taste. Once again, not fanboyism, but rather, preference. But if you REALLY want to take it that far:

How many games got above an 80? Now cross out the ones that are multiplatform. That leaves 9 games, 3 of which are 3rd party (should you even consider MLB Power Pros?). So it really does look like the Nintendo family is what's carrying the system, when it comes to core gamers.

Why can't I be critical of the Wii without being blasted? I've stated the obvious over and over. Casual market, not my taste in games, blah blah blah, yet I'm a fanboy? I say time and time again that it is and will be a successful console, but I'm not getting one, so I'm a fanboy? I'm starting to believe that around here, if you don't like the Wii you are considered a fanboy by default.

What utter nonsense you love to spew. Judging a games library while crossing off multiplatform titles is just dumb. Can I play Guitar Hero 3 on my Wii? Then it is part of the game library. Can I play RE4 on my Wii? Then it is part of the library. Those two are also special in that the games are different from the other versions out there. My guitar rumbles when I activate my star power and I freaking love it. I never hear missed notes because I muted the Wiimote speaker, and everyone thinks that is cool.

That said, it is the Nintendo family carrying the console for the most part. The catch there is Nintendo makes amazingly good games. Look at the list of the best games ever made and a ton of them have one thing in common and I will let you guess what that is. Their games aren't all holed up in one genre either, which is part of the appeal for many people. They don't just make awesome shooter games, or awesome party games. They have a decent range of games they can produce to sell a system well. A library of just Nintendo games can easily be considered a solid library given the games they can put out.

The reason you keep getting called a fanboy is because you are trying to hide behind the flimsy shield of admitting it is a success and then attacking weak points that don't exist. You blast the Wii for having a weak library, but are hesitant to offer any justifications at first, and offer flimsy ones when pressed for it. Your comments are not coming across as you saying you dislike the system either. They are coming across as insulting the system, which is very different. When you understand the difference between saying you don't like a game, and saying a game sucks this will make sense.

To the guy above this post: What do I have to say to "negate my fanboy status"? That I utterly love the Wii? Well, I don't, and that's the end of that.

To Gnizmo: The reason I said cross out the multiplatform games is because they can be found elsewhere, thus not the considering factor between a choosing a Wii/PS3/360. Why should you get a 360 for the game when it's on PS3? Why should you get a PS3 for a game when it's on Wii? Why should you get a Wii for a game when it's on 360? You say crossing out multiplats when talking about the library is stupid, but it really isn't, otherwise, why isn't the PS3 selling better than 360? It's got COD4, Madden 08, Skate, etc...but those games are also on 360, and therefore aren't games that say "I HAVE to get a PS3 for those". GH3 is on all consoles, so how does that help in choosing which console to get? And also, as a side note, you can simply go into the SFX in options to mute missed notes.

So now you agree that it's the Nintendo family that's carrying the system, even though before you tried to say "why'd you only talk about the 1st party title, look at thhe 3rd party"? Well it looks like the "only has Mario/Zelda/Metroid" statement still stands then.

And for the LAST TIME, I never said that the games suck, I said that I don't like them. In my opinion, MGS > Carnival Games. Halo > Mario Strikers. Uncharted > Elebits. Is that so hard to understand. WHERE in my argument did I say the games suck? Along with not saying the games suck, but also acknowledging its' appeal, and that it's a great market strategy, how does this come off as "insulting the system" again? The majority of the games I don't like, I did NOT say "the majority of the games are crap", when you guys understand that, then this will make sense

You are comparing the top 360 and PS3 exclusives to smaller 3rd party Wii games. That's a fanboy/troll move. Comparing the big exclusives to each other would be being reasonable about it. Or comparing secondary games to secondary games. Compare Halo, MGS and Uncharted with Metroid, Link and Zelda. Compare Elebits, Carnival games and Mario Strikers with Viva Pinatia Party animals, Virtua Tennis 3 and I don't know, PS3 or 360 really don't have an elebits type game. I mean someone could just as eaisly say "I don't like the PS3 and 360 , because i'd rather Play Mario Galaxy, Twighlight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 instead of Vampire Rain, Virual Tennis 3 and Armor core 4." Is that really a reasonable statement?

Kasz216 said:
boilermaker11 said:
Gnizmo said:
boilermaker11 said:
mancandy said:
steverhcp02 said:

You can have your opinion, but stop making stupid generalizations. There are more games on the Wii than just SMG, Metroid, and Zelda. Funny how you only mention first party games, like that's the only thing the Wii has. Third party support is better than ever. I've already played through, Call of Duty 3, Medal of Honor 2, RE4, Zack & Wiki, Tiger Woods 07, Madden 08, SSX Blur. So please don't tell me the Wii only has party games and lack depth, it's ridiculous.

You repeatedly called me a fanboy, yet I openly acknowledge the success of the Wii. I think you're confused.

I think I was VERY specific when I posted. I basically said "Wii sales phenomally because it caters to a much wider audience, but the majority of its' games don't cater to myself, and many others" That's the gist of what I was trying to say. That's not fanboyism, that's preference. And the claim of "all the games flat out suck"....never said that. I said that most of the games are family oriented, yet I find games like MGS and Halo to be more in my taste. Once again, not fanboyism, but rather, preference. But if you REALLY want to take it that far:

The reason you keep getting called a fanboy is because you are trying to hide behind the flimsy shield of admitting it is a success and then attacking weak points that don't exist. You blast the Wii for having a weak library, but are hesitant to offer any justifications at first, and offer flimsy ones when pressed for it. Your comments are not coming across as you saying you dislike the system either. They are coming across as insulting the system, which is very different. When you understand the difference between saying you don't like a game, and saying a game sucks this will make sense.

To Gnizmo: The reason I said cross out the multiplatform games is because they can be found elsewhere, thus not the considering factor between a choosing a Wii/PS3/360. Why should you get a 360 for the game when it's on PS3? Why should you get a PS3 for a game when it's on Wii? Why should you get a Wii for a game when it's on 360? You say crossing out multiplats when talking about the library is stupid, but it really isn't, otherwise, why isn't the PS3 selling better than 360? It's got COD4, Madden 08, Skate, etc...but those games are also on 360, and therefore aren't games that say "I HAVE to get a PS3 for those". GH3 is on all consoles, so how does that help in choosing which console to get? And also, as a side note, you can simply go into the SFX in options to mute missed notes.

You are comparing the top 360 and PS3 exclusives to smaller 3rd party Wii games. That's a fanboy/troll move. Comparing the big exclusives to each other would be being reasonable about it. Or comparing secondary games to secondary games. Compare Halo, MGS and Uncharted with Metroid, Link and Zelda. Compare Elebits, Carnival games and Mario Strikers with Viva Pinatia Party animals, Virtua Tennis 3 and I don't know, PS3 or 360 really don't have an elebits type game. I mean someone could just as eaisly say "I don't like the PS3 and 360 , because i'd rather Play Mario Galaxy, Twighlight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 instead of Vampire Rain, Virual Tennis 3 and Armor core 4." Is that really a reasonable statement?

understandable, I see where you're coming from with that. My mistake. I'd prefer to play Metal Gear over Mario Galaxy, Halo over Metroid, Uncharted over Zack and Wiki. But you understand the gist of what I'm saying. The majority of the Wii market is targeted at casuals, thus the majority will be casual games. I prefer the games that come to mind when you think Playstation or Xbox over casual games. This does not equate to me saying "casual games suck" but rather, I prefer others, thus the reason in not getting a Wii. Twilight Princess and MP3, sure, were good games, but I can get a similar experience, along with other games I like more when I choose PS3/360

Currently playing:

Unreal Tournament 3, Warhawk, Rock Band, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, DMC2, then 3, and Radiata Stories

"Stop the presses// It's been a while but I'm back in session// And in the past time my flow's matured more than adolescence// It's time to learn a lesson// So get you pen and your pad out, listen close, and take heed to this blessing"

To be honest I have 2 scenarios and the 360 turns up last in both.

First scenario nothing changes huge shift in development(normally takes around 12-18 months before stragglers come out with anything good.) and Wii comes out on top for sheer nature of the amount of games ala PS2(the weakest system last gen)

Second Scenario PS3 catches on development shifts away from the 360 short of first party and ports the PS3 eventually catches the Wii and by the difference both co-exist resulting in a close 1st and 2nd with Wii or PS3 being either one.

I think these scenarios actually make more sense then thinking PS3 will suddenly sell millions more per year with no sign of a reason why.