By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 can still finish in first place.

jarrod said:

Both are going to nearly double their bases?  5 years in?  I just find that hard to believe, despite the PR assurances of standard 10 year cycles (that's working out great for PSP btw) or add ons giving them an extra 5 years to try and actually make money on this whole thing...

After this Holiday season, it's not going to be doubling the base. Would be a better discussion after we've had this holiday season.

PSP is a pirates paradise that has been abandoned by 3rd parties. If you want a comparison to PSP, I point you towards the Wii (Although the Wii has had continual good support from Ninty).

Both consoles have excellent support from 1st, 2nd and 3rd parties. They're both still selling very well. They both either have, or are getting within a couple of weeks, a new control scheme. And they both have plenty of room for pricecuts.

3rd parties don't want new consoles. Sony and MS are both profiting from the HW somewhat. SW sales are still strong.

Both will reach at least 75 Million units lifetime.

Around the Network

Is the party over, or did we drink too much, because now we've gone too far with these predictions.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

No it REALLLY REALLLLLYYYYY can't

And now this predictions will be used in the future and people will act like SONY fans en masse expected this.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:

Both are going to nearly double their bases?  5 years in?  I just find that hard to believe, despite the PR assurances of standard 10 year cycles (that's working out great for PSP btw) or add ons giving them an extra 5 years to try and actually make money on this whole thing...

After this Holiday season, it's not going to be doubling the base. Would be a better discussion after we've had this holiday season.

PSP is a pirates paradise that has been abandoned by 3rd parties. If you want a comparison to PSP, I point you towards the Wii (Although the Wii has had continual good support from Ninty).

Both consoles have excellent support from 1st, 2nd and 3rd parties. They're both still selling very well. They both either have, or are getting within a couple of weeks, a new control scheme. And they both have plenty of room for pricecuts.

3rd parties don't want new consoles. Sony and MS are both profiting from the HW somewhat. SW sales are still strong.

Looking at software sales, I don't find Wii and PSP all that comparable to be honest.  Never really have been either.

And if Nintendo were to just continue along as is with Wii, I think your scenario would shift to more likely than not.  Unfortunately, that seems like a pretty remote possibility... Nintendo will jump first and that (in turn) will force the others hands earlier than they (or publishers) will probably want...

PS3beats360 said:
Squilliam said:

But the PS3 is already in first place, in your heart. Is this not enough?

PS3 has a chance at finishing in first place. I say: "Yes we can". 
Time will reveal all and  the PS3 may eventually sneak into first place. 

if PS3 is God then that means humans created God? but who created us then? :O

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

Above & Beyond

It's 2008 again???

I don't think so,I'm just going to enjoy ps3.

Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:

75 million is an optimistic scenario, due to the fact that next year will probably be the last year of "real" sales for all consoles, then maybe some more months into 2012. PS3 will probably get close to 60 million next year. I can see it getting to 65 million, maybe 70, but 75 is a tad high.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

jarrod said:

Looking at software sales, I don't find Wii and PSP all that comparable to be honest.  Never really have been either.

And if Nintendo were to just continue along as is with Wii, I think your scenraio would shift to more likely than not.  Unfortunately, that seems like a pretty remote scenario... Nintendo will jump first and that (in turn) will force the others hands earlier than they (or publishers) will probably want...

I was talking about the huge piracy and lack of 3rd party love. Not overall SW sales.

And Nintendo releasing a new console wont necessarily mean Sony/MS will also release one.