By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 can still finish in first place.

A203D said:
Darc Requiem said:

This gen isn't going to last another 4 to 6 years. It's a fallacy to think that any of the hardware manufacturers would go a whole decade or more between console launches. They'd leave themselves open to one of the other manufacturers or an outside company releasing a cheap console that stumps them from a technical standpoint in everyway.

it does depend i think, microsoft want another 5 years, sonys console was always designed with the 10 year lifecycle. and if nintendo release another console they cut the life of the wii and compete with the other HD console in terms of price, i dont thats a position they want to be in - seeing as the price of the wii has been a major fator for it.

i mean if you look at the games we have now - theres no immediate concern for the improvement in the hardware side because games at the moment are visually and technically stunning.

the other thing is we're talking about this in a gaming community, but i think the general consumer thinks differently. because the consumer dosent care about the next gen, they'll buy a wii or ps3, or 360 and they'll use it until the next one comes out. the consumer at the moment isnt demanding new consoles, because the current consoles can do what they want for probabily another 4 to 6 years imo.

I had to face palm when I read that. 10 year lifecycle and 10 year generation are two seperate things entirely. A consoles popularity and market conditions determines the length of it's life. You can't design a console to last ten years. The inherent progession of technology precludes such a thing. It's been said on this forum more times that can be counted. The PS2 launched 5 and half years after the PS1 and the PS3 launched 6 years after the PS2. Neither Sony console went 10 years without being replaced.

Around the Network

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

It's not gonna happen guys.  PS3 nor 360 will never top the Wii in LTD sales.  I know it's nice for you to imagine it - but it's just that - your imagination.

NiKKoM said:

Dude...I'm laughing my ass of right now. Too funny. Too damned funny.

yes ps3 the best

Around the Network

N64 is going to surpass PS1 in a couple years, you'll see.

"To play or not to play, that is the question."- A wise man

Lifetime sales prediction

Wii 79/150 million

Xbox 360 47.7/73 Million

PS3 43.6/69 Million

jesus.....

keep dreaming

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Darc Requiem said:
A203D said:
Darc Requiem said:

This gen isn't going to last another 4 to 6 years. It's a fallacy to think that any of the hardware manufacturers would go a whole decade or more between console launches. They'd leave themselves open to one of the other manufacturers or an outside company releasing a cheap console that stumps them from a technical standpoint in everyway.

it does depend i think, microsoft want another 5 years, sonys console was always designed with the 10 year lifecycle. and if nintendo release another console they cut the life of the wii and compete with the other HD console in terms of price, i dont thats a position they want to be in - seeing as the price of the wii has been a major fator for it.

i mean if you look at the games we have now - theres no immediate concern for the improvement in the hardware side because games at the moment are visually and technically stunning.

the other thing is we're talking about this in a gaming community, but i think the general consumer thinks differently. because the consumer dosent care about the next gen, they'll buy a wii or ps3, or 360 and they'll use it until the next one comes out. the consumer at the moment isnt demanding new consoles, because the current consoles can do what they want for probabily another 4 to 6 years imo.

I had to face palm when I read that. 10 year lifecycle and 10 year generation are two seperate things entirely. A consoles popularity and market conditions determines the length of it's life. You can't design a console to last ten years. The inherent progession of technology precludes such a thing. It's been said on this forum more times that can be counted. The PS2 launched 5 and half years after the PS1 and the PS3 launched 6 years after the PS2. Neither Sony console went 10 years without being replaced.

this dosent change that the console manufactuers want this gen to last another 5 years, based on what they've said, excluding nintendo. it dosent change that developers also want this gen to last longer because of the high development costs they face. it dosent change that the PS2 has sold more than the 360 and the PS3 this gen, which has gone for more than 10 years now i belive.

The manufacturers say they want this gen to last more than 5 years. They aren't going to come out say hey guys we have new hardware coming in 2012. It will kill sales of their current consoles.

Guys, I think you're all forgetting that negative sales will kick in soon.