By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 can still finish in first place.

jarrod said:

This begs the question... can one ever legitimately claim 1st place if their platform never actually makes money in the end?

Yeah, it's called a pyrrhic victory.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
daveJ said:

um - fact is

OGW3 was the best selling software title in march

this gen is long not over, to say that the ps3 has sold the worse [ouch]

that is I give fact and jarrod conters with BS.

oh well I might have to stick his prediction in my sig that GOW will not sell the most tittles in mar' 2010 NPD

lol.  Looks like I have a fan. 

What are "OGW3" and "tittles"?  The latter sounds illegal?

fwap said:

V:  And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence.

Grimes said:
jarrod said:

This begs the question... can one ever legitimately claim 1st place if their platform never actually makes money in the end?

Since it isn't even a victory...how should we call it? Pyrrich defeat?

efestione said:
Grimes said:
jarrod said:

Pretty much.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network
Beuli2 said:
efestione said:
Grimes said:
jarrod said:

Pretty much.

This, together with the apple/sony rumor makes me feel  so sad...although current playstation hardware is'nt absolutely a failure, it is obvious that the leadership they used to have is far faraway....this remind me of what i felt for nintendo during the gamecube era. Hope sony will redeem one day.

well like i said in another thread resently; its possible! if it does it won't be by much and if it doesn't it won't be behind by much, but it will more likely happen a yr or 2 after this gen ends.

Grimes said:
AnthonyW86 said:

That must be about the silliest thing i've ever heard. You know a company profits most on a console later on in it's life-cycle? You know that any new system that will be released is likely to be outsold by it's predecessor in the first two years? Not only that the old system will sell more software in the first two years aswell, and keep bringing in money. And what is the start of the next generation exactly? When Nintendo launches their next console witch is barely more powerfull than the current PS3 and X360?

A system is dead when it stops bringing in money and isn't produced anymore, so no the Wii doesn't win. More importantly, PS3 may even beat the Wii where it really counts, in the number of software sold.

Nintendo made billions of dollars in the Wii's initial years, while Sony's PS division lost billions of dollars even with all the PS2's profits.

I'm not saying the PS3 will bring in more money than the Wii did, it won't. But that's the point, Sony invested so much money in the PS3 they will want to keep it on the market as long as possible to try and recoup as much as they can, again one more reason PS3 will keep on selling for longer than the Wii.

AnthonyW86 said:
Grimes said:
AnthonyW86 said:

That must be about the silliest thing i've ever heard. You know a company profits most on a console later on in it's life-cycle? You know that any new system that will be released is likely to be outsold by it's predecessor in the first two years? Not only that the old system will sell more software in the first two years aswell, and keep bringing in money. And what is the start of the next generation exactly? When Nintendo launches their next console witch is barely more powerfull than the current PS3 and X360?

A system is dead when it stops bringing in money and isn't produced anymore, so no the Wii doesn't win. More importantly, PS3 may even beat the Wii where it really counts, in the number of software sold.

Nintendo made billions of dollars in the Wii's initial years, while Sony's PS division lost billions of dollars even with all the PS2's profits.

I'm not saying the PS3 will bring in more money than the Wii did, it won't. But that's the point, Sony invested so much money in the PS3 they will want to keep it on the market as long as possible to try and recoup as much as they can, again one more reason PS3 will keep on selling for longer than the Wii.

Forget more money, will PS3 bring in any money?  With it's losses already exceeding all profits in SCE's reported history, it's going to be a tall order...

I give up. I just bloody give up. Some of you are actually paralleling the PS1 and PS2 with the PS3, stating the fact they continued to sell well into the new gen. The fact is the PS3 is nothing like the PS1 or PS2's success.

So I just give up. I'm going to revive this thread in a few years and then show you how damn stupid this was.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you