By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 can still finish in first place.

When Will Wii Reach 70% Market Share
When Will Wii Reach 60% Market Share
When Will Wii Reach 50% Market Share

PS3 Will Never Reach 10M
PS3 Will Force Sony Out Of Gaming
It Is Impossible For PS3 To Reach 50

Anything is possible. So far this gen PS3 has done nothing but piss on previous formulas. Their is no reason not to believe it can pull this off. Is it a long shot? Of course, it is 35M consoles back, and variables are constantly changing. After the launch of connect we could see things swing in favor of 360. Nintendo could drop a price cut in, and surge back and put the gap at 40M. Who knows what will happen? All we can do is speculate. No speculation is dumb. Even well informed speculation can lead to very different results. No one should be laughed at for how they envision the future.

I think that the Wii could drop hard next year and see only about 8 to 12M in sales. PS3 will rise to 18 to 22M on a price cut and a slew of exclusives. 360 will hold steady at around 10 to 14M on a price cut and new interest in Kinect.

In 2012 Wii will be a part of history, Nintendo will launch the next Home console in the late year, and Wii sales will tale off, anding around 100 to 110M life time.

PS3 will see a slimmer unit hit the market in 2012 with a $200 base price and more major exclusives. The system should do around 18 to 22M again this year, and then start falling. In 2013 talk will get heavy about new PS and MS systems, PS3 should fall to around 14 to 18M. In 2014 PS4 will be shown at E3 with a launch around September/October. PS3 should drop back to the 10 to 12M unit mark and have a new Price around $180. With continued price cuts PS3 should see another 20 to 40 Million over the first 5 years PS4 is on the market putting the system at 130 to 160M life time.

360 will probably start to settle down in 2012 seeing units around 8 to 12M. MS will probably launch the next Xbox around November of 2013, this will not do much to 360 sales with the unit down to $150 with Kinect and a base model. I think it can still pull 8 to 10M in this year. If MS follows Sony's lead and keeps the 360 as a base unit for children, and casual gamers, the unit could sell between 10 to 25M units in the 5 years after XB3 launch. That leaving the system around 90 to 110M when its all said and done.

Could that be total nonsense? Of course. I see a very realistic possibility that it could happen though. Hate the OP, hate me, but if it all comes true you won't see me bragging about it. It just is what it is.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
PS3beats360 said:

PS3 is selling 20% more than the 360 when you align the two consoles from their launches. 

Stopped reading. more of this nonsense.

KBG29 said:

When Will Wii Reach 70% Market Share
When Will Wii Reach 60% Market Share
When Will Wii Reach 50% Market Share

PS3 Will Never Reach 10M
PS3 Will Force Sony Out Of Gaming
It Is Impossible For PS3 To Reach 50

Anything is possible. So far this gen PS3 has done nothing but piss on previous formulas. Their is no reason not to believe it can pull this off. Is it a long shot? Of course, it is 35M consoles back, and variables are constantly changing. After the launch of connect we could see things swing in favor of 360. Nintendo could drop a price cut in, and surge back and put the gap at 40M. Who knows what will happen? All we can do is speculate. No speculation is dumb. Even well informed speculation can lead to very different results. No one should be laughed at for how they envision the future.

I think that the Wii could drop hard next year and see only about 8 to 12M in sales. PS3 will rise to 18 to 22M on a price cut and a slew of exclusives. 360 will hold steady at around 10 to 14M on a price cut and new interest in Kinect.

In 2012 Wii will be a part of history, Nintendo will launch the next Home console in the late year, and Wii sales will tale off, anding around 100 to 110M life time.

PS3 will see a slimmer unit hit the market in 2012 with a $200 base price and more major exclusives. The system should do around 18 to 22M again this year, and then start falling. In 2013 talk will get heavy about new PS and MS systems, PS3 should fall to around 14 to 18M. In 2014 PS4 will be shown at E3 with a launch around September/October. PS3 should drop back to the 10 to 12M unit mark and have a new Price around $180. With continued price cuts PS3 should see another 20 to 40 Million over the first 5 years PS4 is on the market putting the system at 130 to 160M life time.

360 will probably start to settle down in 2012 seeing units around 8 to 12M. MS will probably launch the next Xbox around November of 2013, this will not do much to 360 sales with the unit down to $150 with Kinect and a base model. I think it can still pull 8 to 10M in this year. If MS follows Sony's lead and keeps the 360 as a base unit for children, and casual gamers, the unit could sell between 10 to 25M units in the 5 years after XB3 launch. That leaving the system around 90 to 110M when its all said and done.

Could that be total nonsense? Of course. I see a very realistic possibility that it could happen though. Hate the OP, hate me, but if it all comes true you won't see me bragging about it. It just is what it is.

The good thing about your post is that we'll know if it's right by the end of next year where PS3 should outsell Wii by at least 6 million and may go as high as 14 millions. We can revisit this post then.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Gilgamesh said:
PS3beats360 said:

PS3 can still finish in first place. The console wars are live and kicking. Wii peaked in 2008 with 25 million console sales. PS3 sales are rising and rising every year. PS3 will pass the 360 in 2011. PS3 moves to second place and starts chasing down the "invincible" sales leader. 

PS3 started slower but was at a much higher price than the Wii. Almost 4 years after the launches the Wii is on 75 million and the PS3 just over 40 million sales.

Wii sales started fast and well peaked in second year 2008 with 25 million sales. The sales of the Wii are expected to trend downwards over time. 2009 (20 million sales) was a 20% decline on 2008 sales. 2010 sales should be another 15% to 20% decline on 2009 sales: 16 to 17 million Wii console sales for 2010. 

PS3 may even claw back the  sales gap on the Wii as its big games and price cuts help  boost PS3 sales. PS3 in the next 5 or 6  years may well outsell the Wii by 30 to 40 million console units. Time will reveal all. 

PS3 can possibly make the biggest come back in console wars history. 2016 may well see the PS3 over take the Wii in total console sales. The chances are very slim but the PS3 has a chance of re-writing history. 

The PS3 has already made the biggest comeback in the history of video games, no last place console ever sold like the PS3 and it's going to continue.

Also it's definitely possible for the PS3 to pass the Wii, but it will take the next 5 or 6 years to do so and it'll just barely pass it. The Wii has a big lead and that's going to take some time to pass. But then again nothing's impossible, especially this gen. So it might not be that crazy to imagine the PS3 selling like 20 million consoles in it's 5th or 6th year out.

This. The victory, if you wanna call it that will be hollow at best. Sure it might make SONY some good money but man PS3 could have been a huge cash cow going off the lead of the PS2. It fumbled the ball instead.

Nintendo could release Wii 2 or wtfe you want in the next year or so and one-two-punch SONY and MS in the nuts because I seriously doubt SONY and MS are going to release before 2011 and it could even be late 2013 (for SONY at least) before even an announcement.

Mark my words though, next gen is gonna be a weak jump in performance if SONY or MS release earlier. Hell, PS4 and XNEXT might even just be a new platform with little to no discernible graphics enhancements other than full support for 1080p, true stereo sound, and possible 3D support.  

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Looking at this thread it seems people really quickly forgotten the lesson from last quarter numbers.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

This threads brings me back to great 2007.

Take my love, take my land..

biggest issue for sony is the console refresh will probably be in 2-3 years. 2011 were getting a recycle of the mobile consoles. apple is a big question mark, if they'll do something gaming related (purchase or other wise). rise of gaming on ipad/etc is an issue. you don't want to let another company get in the space and eat up the younger market/casuals. they make up the future customer base.

for home consoles, even if nintendo pushes the wii as long as possible we'll start to hear something of a new nintendo system in 2012. i really believe it wont be long until microsoft jumps in with a new console either. the 360 has been huge for them and microsoft feels they finally have a winner in the home space. given their aggressiveness to expand xbox i wouldn't be surprised to see a upgraded system arrive near nintendos offering.

nintendo and microsft are also reaching a point of exhaunting the major frachises they use to move product. while i thought nintendo would have more space to keep the wii ____ software flowing; we've instead gotten... wii party... mario sports... it really is making me wonder if nintendo is out of ideas on what else they can put out on wii that would be "new".

another wii fit, sports remix isnt going to work as well going forward. plus, do they want to risk making the games loose the appeal when they can release a new console with the same ideas but better technology. the currency issues facing nintendo is also negative when reguarding the wii. going forward were looking at price cuts and lower margins. given the current currency hit nintendo is taking; they need higher priced products in the marketplace to absord any trade negative. (see 3ds and talk of launching at $300)

3ds vs the wii at retail is also going to be a huge issue for nintendo. esp with developers. why take a chance on putting my game on the wii when i can go to a new exciting platform that has life and money in it.

microsoft has less big franchises to rotate; with them becoming very casual/mass market focused for the next year or two. after such a time it would be a good step for microsoft to launch a new console to attract the fan market and expand upon whatever success they find with kinect. the casual audience has a shorter lifespan with an electronic device vs a video game fan. casuals would get something new to play with while the avid gamers would get a new platform feeling the 360 got good use/time.

on the other side of things is sony and they have been very silent about the future. instead pushing the idea of a decade lifespan for a platform. that type of thinking seems a bit dangerous for sony. the space is evolving much quicker now then it did during the playstation one or two era. the intent to hold out and produce profits is understandable. although, sony is also surrounded by other groups who are either flush with money or emboldened by their recent success. that spells trouble for sony and any 10 year plan.

of course it will. because PS4 will not have PS3 compatibility and PS3 will keep selling for another 4 or 5 years afer Wii is out of the market

Zlejedi said:

Looking at this thread it seems people really quickly forgotten the lesson from last quarter numbers.

I wouldn't start talking about how PS3 would outsell Wii lifetime until PS3 actually outsells Wii for a year (fiscal or calendar).

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

BeLiKeCLuTcH said:
fwap said:

I'm joining the bandwagon!