By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 can still finish in first place.

Has everyone lost their mind?

These predictions are more silly then "The Xbox will beat the PS2 in 2004" stuff.

"To play or not to play, that is the question."- A wise man

Lifetime sales prediction

Wii 79/150 million

Xbox 360 47.7/73 Million

PS3 43.6/69 Million

Around the Network

PS3 finnishing first place?.......no.....just no

Do unto others as they would do unto you.......only do it first!

Metallicube said:
PS3beats360 said:

PS3 can still finish in first place. The console wars are live and kicking. Wii peaked in 2008 with 25 million console sales. PS3 sales are rising and rising every year. PS3 will pass the 360 in 2011. PS3 moves to second place and starts chasing down the "invincible" sales leader. 

PS3 started slower but was at a much higher price than the Wii. Almost 4 years after the launches the Wii is on 75 million and the PS3 just over 40 million sales.

Wii sales started fast and well peaked in second year 2008 with 25 million sales. The sales of the Wii are expected to trend downwards over time. 2009 (20 million sales) was a 20% decline on 2008 sales. 2010 sales should be another 15% to 20% decline on 2009 sales: 16 to 17 million Wii console sales for 2010. 

PS3 may even claw back the  sales gap on the Wii as its big games and price cuts help  boost PS3 sales. PS3 in the next 5 or 6  years may well outsell the Wii by 30 to 40 million console units. Time will reveal all. 

PS3 can possibly make the biggest come back in console wars history. 2016 may well see the PS3 over take the Wii in total console sales. The chances are very slim but the PS3 has a chance of re-writing history. 

Lol some of you PS3 fans are just getting delusional now. Do you realize how many millions upon millions of consoles MORE that the PS3 has to sell than the Wii? Even making up 5 million on the Wii would be nearly impossible at this point, but 35 million?? Lol, come on, let's fly back to reality here.

Just be happy with your probably soon to be second place console and be thankful that Sony is a large enough corporation to make their console available in far more countries than the other two.. Why are you guys so scared of potentially being in 3rd place? I've never seen a fanbase in such denial. Trust me, the world will keep on turning if Sony ends up in 3rd place. I supported the 3rd place Gamecube and still don't regret it. I had tons of fun games for it that I enjoyed.

Just remember, the PS3 not only has to sell 35 million more units, (which in itsell will be a VERY difficult task since you are asking it to almost double its userbase for a console that is already 5 years old), but it has to sell 35 million units MORE THAN the Wii sells from this point on.

So even if we're conservative on Wii sales here and say for the sake of argument, that the Wii sells only 25 million for the rest of its life then comes crashing down, bringing it to 100 million, that would mean the PS3 would need to sell... another 60 million consoles just to catch up! Just really think about the reality of what you are claiming here.. And tell me, just what kind of software is going to push 60 million more units? Do you really think a price drop and Move could potentially move that much hardware? Lol...

Now, will PS3 gain some ground on Wii? Well considering the situation of third parties killing the Wii and rushing to PS3, and the fact that Sony has availability in far more countries than Wii, yes it probably will. But it will probably gain something like a few million, and even that is being awfully optimistic for the PS3.

lets see; currently Wii is 35m units ahead of PS3.

the way i see it if Sony sells 15m more then Wii  one yr and 10m another; that will negate that 35m unit lead the Wii has over the PS3.

now for something more reasonable?

if PS3 sells 5m more then Wii for the next 6 yrs (10 yr vision and all) it will be 5m away from tying the Wii in sells so one of those yrs it will need to sell 10m more then Wii in one of those yrs to tye the Wii, and 6m more in one yr to beat Wii by a hair.

and its not delusion? its faith, but i'm not a share holder so, although it may be blind faith?

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Metallicube said:
PS3beats360 said:

PS3 can still finish in first place. The console wars are live and kicking. Wii peaked in 2008 with 25 million console sales. PS3 sales are rising and rising every year. PS3 will pass the 360 in 2011. PS3 moves to second place and starts chasing down the "invincible" sales leader. 

PS3 started slower but was at a much higher price than the Wii. Almost 4 years after the launches the Wii is on 75 million and the PS3 just over 40 million sales.

Wii sales started fast and well peaked in second year 2008 with 25 million sales. The sales of the Wii are expected to trend downwards over time. 2009 (20 million sales) was a 20% decline on 2008 sales. 2010 sales should be another 15% to 20% decline on 2009 sales: 16 to 17 million Wii console sales for 2010. 

PS3 may even claw back the  sales gap on the Wii as its big games and price cuts help  boost PS3 sales. PS3 in the next 5 or 6  years may well outsell the Wii by 30 to 40 million console units. Time will reveal all. 

PS3 can possibly make the biggest come back in console wars history. 2016 may well see the PS3 over take the Wii in total console sales. The chances are very slim but the PS3 has a chance of re-writing history. 

Lol some of you PS3 fans are just getting delusional now. Do you realize how many millions upon millions of consoles MORE that the PS3 has to sell than the Wii? Even making up 5 million on the Wii would be nearly impossible at this point, but 35 million?? Lol, come on, let's fly back to reality here.

Just be happy with your probably soon to be second place console and be thankful that Sony is a large enough corporation to make their console available in far more countries than the other two.. Why are you guys so scared of potentially being in 3rd place? I've never seen a fanbase in such denial. Trust me, the world will keep on turning if Sony ends up in 3rd place. I supported the 3rd place Gamecube and still don't regret it. I had tons of fun games for it that I enjoyed.

Just remember, the PS3 not only has to sell 35 million more units, (which in itsell will be a VERY difficult task since you are asking it to almost double its userbase for a console that is already 5 years old), but it has to sell 35 million units MORE THAN the Wii sells from this point on.

So even if we're conservative on Wii sales here and say for the sake of argument, that the Wii sells only 25 million for the rest of its life then comes crashing down, bringing it to 100 million, that would mean the PS3 would need to sell... another 60 million consoles just to catch up! Just really think about the reality of what you are claiming here.. And tell me, just what kind of software is going to push 60 million more units? Do you really think a price drop and Move could potentially move that much hardware? Lol...

Now, will PS3 gain some ground on Wii? Well considering the situation of third parties killing the Wii and rushing to PS3, and the fact that Sony has availability in far more countries than Wii, yes it probably will. But it will probably gain something like a few million, and even that is being awfully optimistic for the PS3.

the way i see it if Sony sells 15m more then Wii  one yr and 10m another; that will negate that 35m unit lead the Wii has over the PS3.

if PS3 sells 5m more then Wii for the next 6 yrs (10 yr vision and all) it will be 5m away from tying the Wii in sells so one of those yrs it will need to sell 10m more then Wii in one of those yrs to tye the Wii, and 6m more in one yr to beat Wii by a hair.

and its not delusion? its faith, but i'm not a share holder so, although it may be blind faith?

In a world where 10 million plus 15 millon = 35 million it would be easier for the PS3 to catch the Wii. Easier, and yet still completely impossible.

The PS3 is going to sell more than the PS2 late in the life cycle because Sony is magic. You can't disprove magic, so therefor it is possible.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
Grimes said:

The PS3 is going to sell more than the PS2 late in the life cycle because Sony is magic. You can't disprove magic, so therefor it is possible.

Nonsense, there is religion!

Bong Lover said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Metallicube said:
PS3beats360 said:

In a world where 10 million plus 15 millon = 35 million it would be easier for the PS3 to catch the Wii. Easier, and yet still completely impossible.

I had to LOL. That is Enron level addition right there.

Darc Requiem said:
Bong Lover said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

Don't discuss with him, or else it might catch on

Above: still the best game of the year.

Beuli2 said:
Darc Requiem said:
Bong Lover said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

Don't discuss with him, or else it might catch on

Like, what?

I really can't see that happening. Even when PS3 cut the price to $199, Wii would do the same but to $99. No offense, but Wii was the novelty, not PS3. And if Nintendo launchs Wii 2, then this console will be the novelty, not PS3. IMO

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile