By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 can still finish in first place.

Darc Requiem said:
Mr Khan said:
Netyaroze said:

Its a bold claim. And unlikely. But to all who dismiss it so fast. Its entirely possible.

I count with a Wii successor in 2012. And I can see Wii selling "just" about 100 Million Units.

Also it could be that if Kinect fails to be what MS expects then we can see a 360 successor sooner. And the PS3 could take the PS2 position and sell for 99-129 Dollar for years. And in the end it could even outsell Wii. But ofcourse everything has to be perfect for the PS3 from now on.

I expect WIIs marketshare to drop to 45% this year. I have trouble imagening Wii outselling 360 and PS3 combined over the holidays. And 2012 it could stop almost entirely when the successor is on the market.

Less likely is that the 360 wont eat massively into PS3 sales over the years. 

Actually I can imagine Wii ultimatly finishing 3rd after 3-4 years additional time for PS3 and 360. 

But they won't get that time. Much like jarrod believes, i too imagine that a new console from Nintendo will force Sony and Microsoft to jump. This "long generation" is just smoke and mirrors, and ignores market realities, as well has hard lessons learned by both Sony and Microsoft that if you let the competition have their way with the market, you enter into an incredibly adverse environment. Like the Xbox, which despite being closer to PS2 in terms of features and 3rd party support, was only one tiny push away from the neglected and featureless GameCube, and that was strictly because of PS2 momentum afforded from an extra year on the market, or how it took the PS3 two whole years after launch to finally achieve third party parity, because Microsoft got developers on board so quick.

I imagine they're both scared of a new Nintendo console, because if Nintendo could actually get third party support for whatever crazy scheme they come up with next round, it'll be all the more difficult for Microsoft and Sony to play catch-up

Finally somoeone that has actually thought this through.

Perfect responses =)

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

LMMFAO

miqdadi said:

I think the best way to reply on this nonsense is no comment

Then you failed because you made a comment.

Above: still the best game of the year.

I think by E3 2012 Sony can brag about outselling the 360. If they reduce the price of the PS3 to $199 by then, then maybe they will have a chance of taking first. But also remember that the Wii is not in HD so Nintendo will likely be the first console to make the jump to the 8th generation of consoles.

Ali-Kharazi said:

I think by E3 2012 Sony can brag about outselling the 360. If they reduce the price of the PS3 to $199 by then, then maybe they will have a chance of taking first. But also remember that the Wii is not in HD so Nintendo will likely be the first console to make the jump to the 8th generation of consoles.

The problem with this is the PS3 and the 360 dont need to jump with nintendo, because they'll likely be more powerful than whatever nintendo churns out. and the issue is if nintendo does make their next console more powerful than the other 2, they will put themselves in a position where the other 2 could be cheaper - and that has been a key winning factor for the Wii.

remember nintendo also dosent have as strong 3rd pary support as the other companies do, so they might not necessarily be as successful if they release first.

Around the Network

People who want a wii and 360 can already afford one.

People who want a ps3 cant always afford it so theres millions of people waiting for a price drop.

with blu-ray and all of its other features, i cant see people buying xbox's after one more price drop in the ps3.

there is going to be so much demand with the next price drop and with games like GT5, killzone 3, LBP 2, last guardian.

ofcourse microsoft and nintendo can play the cheap tactic of giving away their consoles (well for a much lower price anyway) since they have already made enough profit on them and they cost far less to make than a ps3 because their hardware isnt on the same level.

however if people realise which system has the best games, this shouldnt be a problem for the ps3 and with the economy recovering, people will pay the premium price for the better entertainment system.

theres no doubt it will overtake 360, but buying wii's will be like going to the supermarket to get a loaf of bread so they will sell like crazy.

Ali-Kharazi said:

Since when being HD is a parameter for that?

fps_d0minat0r said:

People who want a wii and 360 can already afford one.

People who want a ps3 cant always afford it so theres millions of people waiting for a price drop.

with blu-ray and all of its other features, i cant see people buying xbox's after one more price drop in the ps3.

there is going to be so much demand with the next price drop and with games like GT5, killzone 3, LBP 2, last guardian.

ofcourse microsoft and nintendo can play the cheap tactic of giving away their consoles (well for a much lower price anyway) since they have already made enough profit on them and they cost far less to make than a ps3 because their hardware isnt on the same level.

however if people realise which system has the best games, this shouldnt be a problem for the ps3 and with the economy recovering, people will pay the premium price for the better entertainment system.

theres no doubt it will overtake 360, but buying wii's will be like going to the supermarket to get a loaf of bread so they will sell like crazy.

I detect some bias towards the PS3 there...

3rd parties will pretend that any next gen console has no less than a good minimum amount of RAM, not less than 4GB I'd guess, and enough CPU and GPU power to handle complex and detailed levels and AI, and a 3D @1440p video output, and obviously with enough spare computing power to handle controller and camera based multiplayer motion detection. Such beasts should be at least thrice as powerful as a PS3, so even the least powerful next gen console won't be able to be released before Q3 2012 and be priced within $300, unless the producer accept to sell it at a loss initially. This, added to the fact that Nintendo will be very busy with 3DS next year, makes very unlikely that Wii2 be released before Autumn 2012, but Nintendo could anyway start making the first announcements next year. By then Wii will be largely profitable even at $99 and so it will be able to repeat PS2 success as entry level console, or at least come very close, selling at least for another 2 years and making very difficult for PS3 to arrive 1st, even if the latter will be able to stay on the entry level market one or two years longer. The only still unknown factor is the emerging countries market growth, but even there, despite the initial logistic lead for Sony, Nintendo should fare very well thanks to Wii's low cost.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Dou you want a real "secret" weapon for PS3? Google TV on PS3