By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are so many games bombing in 2010?

outlawauron said:
jarrod said:

Clone of War isn't exactly what I'd call innovation.  I'd just rather they steal from a superior game again (ie: Super Metroid).

Meh. I'll take Clone of War over Metroidvania 32. While it may not be different on a large scale, I'm speaking relative to the franchise itself. Considering that, I think it's the most change the series has ever seen.

Guys, guys, come on, I'm sure there's something we can agree on here.

"Give Castlevania to Platinum Games and see what they do with it."

That could be pretty great, yeah? A Shinji Mikami Castlevania?

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
outlawauron said:
jarrod said:

Clone of War isn't exactly what I'd call innovation.  I'd just rather they steal from a superior game again (ie: Super Metroid).

Meh. I'll take Clone of War over Metroidvania 32. While it may not be different on a large scale, I'm speaking relative to the franchise itself. Considering that, I think it's the most change the series has ever seen.

I can definitely stand behind this statement.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

SaviorX said:

All these "hardcore gamers" bitch about buying this and that game and praising "original" or "innovative" titles, but do not show up to buy them.

In the first week, Medal of Honor sold more than the majority of those PS3/360 games combined that are listed in the first paragraph (Castlevania, Enslaved, Split/Second, Alan Wake, Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions, Prince of Persia: TFS)

Pathetic.

Check out that 360 Top 30 and you get Sports, Shooter, Sequel. The PS3 is a bit more varied surprisingly...BUT NOT BY MUCH!! :P

Other than Alan Wake, I am pretty happy that MOH sold more than those games.

And 360's top selling titles do look pretty good. It is good to know that publishers know their customers and will be offering more great gaming expreriences.

Castlevania, Enslaved: These two really surprised me, especially Castlevania. I thought they would have sold significantly more than they did.

Split/Second, Blur: These are hardly "great games", and they're in the arcade racing genre, which has never really been all that big.

Alan Wake: The definition of niche.

ModNation Racers: Middle of the year release, nobody really knew what it was.

Red Steel 2: People disillusioned with the first game in the franchise

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions: People disillusioned with the last thousand games in the franchise.

Prince of Persia: TFS: People suck; also, lackluster reviews (though not from gamrReview, I'm glad to say, since I'm the one who wrote that one)

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Nintendo is the best videogames company ever!

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Khuutra said:
outlawauron said:
jarrod said:

Me too.

Also, it seems unless it's MGS, Kojima's touch is the kiss of death for sales.

Alan Wake and Modnation didn't bomb that hard, they're the 6th and 7th best selling new IPs this year (check the thread in my sig)

But I think the real reason games are bombing so much is mainly because people don't have money or because there's already been games released that they want.
For example, I want to get Uncharted 2 which is now about 20 euro; I also want games like Halo Reach, Fable 3, maybe Enslaved but these are all 50; so I'm going to buy Uncharted because I know those other games aren't going anywhere and I can pick them up later and for cheaper. Why should I buy new games full price when there's older cheaper games I want to play?

jarrod said:
outlawauron said:
Khuutra said:

Me too.

Also, it seems unless it's MGS, Kojima's touch is the kiss of death for sales.

I want some compromise dang nabbit!

Iga can have the 3DS Castlevania. I wont give this up, not after the incredible Order of Ecclesia.

Platinum Games (more specifically: Mikami. I'm not trusting Shigenori Nishikawa with Castlevania. Not after the super shallow MadWorld...) can have next gen console's Castlevania.

That way, everyone can win. ^_^

Khuutra said:

Always the voice of reason.

melbye said:

The people calling themselves hardcore only buy hyped games

Mostly this.  I mean let's face it guys, people like us writing about games on a forum for fun are a huge minority.  Many of us call ourselves "core gamers" and yet how many of us actually own all of the games he mentioned?

The main reasons for me personally are two-fold:

1.  I'm a husband and father of two kids.  I also run a business.  Most of my time is dedicated to them.  By the time I get around to playing the games I want, they have usually been released for a while and the price has dropped (except in the case of Nintendo titles).

2.  Money.  With a family to feed I can only afford to buy 6 or so games a year and frankly I'm going to make sure they are great ones.  There are lots of great games that come out each year but I can't even come close to purchasing all of them.  I did buy Red Steel 2 and loved it however.

"Some of you are thinking that you won't fight. Others, that you can't fight. They all say that, until they're out there."
--
PIKMIN FAN CLUB MEMBER